Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Traxxas top fuel...too much oil?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 09:48 PM
bbb18c1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traxxas top fuel...too much oil?

I have an earthquake and I picked up some traxxas top fuel 20% to run it. My LHS didn't have anything but the traxxas, so I picked it up.
I'm only half way through the gallon and I had to take out the one way bearing twice already to clean it because of it slipping. I do have the car running a little rich right now, but having to clean the bearing after a tank or 2 is a little excessive isn't it? The bearing is fine because right after cleaning, it will work perfectly for a while.

I read on another thread that the traxxas fuel has like 18% oil (container doesn't say, only says 20%nitro)...and that is fine for their vehicles because they don't have internal one way bearings, and that i should be looking for a fuel with about 8-12%?

I guess my question is, is the fuel the likely culprit of the bearing slippage or is it just because its running rich and another fuel will do the same, and whether I should give the rest of the fuel to my buddy who has a traxxas tmaxx or not.

thanks
Old 06-16-2007, 10:08 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Traxxas top fuel...too much oil?

the oil content shouldt effect the internal one way bearing. its most likely on its way out and the cleaning helps it grab for a few starts.
Old 06-16-2007, 11:16 PM
bbb18c1

Thats what I was hoping not to have to do....change the one way bearing.
oh well I guess I'll have to get a new one.

Just out of curiosity, how long should the one way bearing last? I only put about 1/2 gallon of fuel through it.

thanks!
Old 06-17-2007, 12:41 AM
G*Man

ORIGINAL: bbb18c1

Thats what I was hoping not to have to do....change the one way bearing.
oh well I guess I'll have to get a new one.

Just out of curiosity, how long should the one way bearing last? I only put about 1/2 gallon of fuel through it.

thanks!

Ive got near a full gallon thru my SH28 in my Cane and its flawless still (knocks on wood)

How are you cleaning it? some brake clean and 150 psi of compressed air works wonders!
Old 06-17-2007, 02:14 AM
bbb18c1

I'm using brake clean and duster (compressed air in a can), as i don't have a compressor at home.

same idea......it seems to work real good after i clean it, but i guess i should just replace it and see what happens.
I'll probably just press out the bearing and replace that. (only 5.95 + shipping on ebay - hf0621).
Old 06-17-2007, 02:39 AM
bbb18c1

hmmm...i just did some testing and it seems that i can get the owb to trun, but i think that the shaft that fits inside the bearing might be worn.......i can only get the bearing to turn with the shaft in a certain position...when i slide the shaft in further, it no longer spins.

I measured the shaft with my micrometer, but it seem to be about the same diameter along the whole length of the shaft (6.000 vs 5.9996) ........now i'm confused.

EDIT: I think i got it fixed now...the pullstart shaft had a brownish ring of stuff on it when i took it off....at first i thought it eas a worn out section. But when i ran my fingernail across, it felt like stuff built up on the shaft. I lightly sanded it with 320 grit sandpaper and now the ring came right off. Now it seems to only turn one way again.

I will put it back together and try it out tomorrow.
Old 06-17-2007, 08:56 AM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a one way should last a long time, maybe that little bit of sanding was the problem, let me know how you make out.
Old 06-17-2007, 02:02 PM
NMeyer

Let me enlighten you on my experience. I am running a Hurricane XP and started off running Top Fuel and ran into the same problem. I had to take of the rear end, extract the bearing, wash it in carb clean then reasemble. when I ran out of fuel I went to Hobbyhaven and asked the person at the desk which fuel they reccomended and told them about my problem. They gave me a bottle of Byron Race 2000. I went home and cleaned the one way bearing and started running the Byron. The first time I ran Byron the oneway bearing was still slipping but i managed to get it started. after each tank the pullstart condition improved and by the 3rd tank the oneway bearing had no slip at all. my hurricane starts by the 3rd turnover with Byron. Just yesterday I talked to a guy who was having the exact same problem with Topfuel. So give Byron a try and let me know if it is correctd before I tell to many people Byron solved my problems. Also remember to retune after you start using Byron because it is a higher quality race fuel (lot more power) I was running 190 with Topfuel and on my switch to Byron I was running 230+. I also Noticed that Byron fuel is alot more toxic so make sure you keep your face out of the smoke till you know how harsh it is.

-Nick Meyer
Old 06-17-2007, 07:18 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

Traxxas Top Fuel has too much oil in it and causes slipping in the OWB, because the OWB is on the inside of the engine, you don't need to clean it or replace it. Need to switch to 30% nitro with less oil than traxxas top fuel. If you want to continue using Traxxas Top Fuel you will find that you will have to loosen up the Glow plug to release the pressure in the cylinder to releave some of the tension on the OWB. One thing you can do is when your storing it store it with the back end slightly raised so the oil will seep out of the bearing and the next time you go to start it the OWB will grab better. If you change fuel you will see the bearing start grabbing more often than not and grabbing better. Don't take it apart you don't need to clean it because if you do then you have more problems than a bad OWB.
Old 06-17-2007, 09:51 PM
NMeyer

Byron Race 2000 is 20% and it still solved all my problems. considering the fact that the stearing servo went out on 3rd tank, and i destroyed my lower front arm on the 5th, shortly after that the bearing started slipping. swithing to Byron race and not having to jack with the oneway is the only reason i haven't pawned my redcat.

-Nick Meyer
Old 06-18-2007, 01:38 AM
bbb18c1

Today, I went to get a different fuel, but being a sunday, Most hobby shops were closed.
I did however did find a hobby store that was open and they had the HPI fuel. On the label, it said 14% oil caster/synthetic blend.
Since that was my only choice other than the traxxas top fuel I had, I bought it. (much better deal too hpi = 30$ cdn a gallon vs traxxas 40$ cdn a gallon).

After running 3 tanks through it today, the owb is still working fine. I'll know after I put a few more tanks through it.
Right now though, its much better than the traxxas fuel because by now, i would have to clean the owb already.

thanks all for the help!
Old 06-18-2007, 08:20 AM
AllAboutFunHobbies

yup, I have the same problem with my OWB bearing on one of my other engiens that has the bearing on the inside of the engine. I would stick with the HPI or if you can get it byrons is good fuel so is ODdonells, and werks Racing makes some kick butt nitro too(expensive but worth every penny). Ya might want to check your temps though to make sure your running in the right range with the new fuel.
Old 05-02-2022, 09:56 AM
Savage 5.9

Originally Posted by bbb18c1
I have an earthquake and I picked up some traxxas top fuel 20% to run it. My LHS didn't have anything but the traxxas, so I picked it up.
I'm only half way through the gallon and I had to take out the one way bearing twice already to clean it because of it slipping. I do have the car running a little rich right now, but having to clean the bearing after a tank or 2 is a little excessive isn't it? The bearing is fine because right after cleaning, it will work perfectly for a while.

I read on another thread that the traxxas fuel has like 18% oil (container doesn't say, only says 20%nitro)...and that is fine for their vehicles because they don't have internal one way bearings, and that i should be looking for a fuel with about 8-12%?

I guess my question is, is the fuel the likely culprit of the bearing slippage or is it just because its running rich and another fuel will do the same, and whether I should give the rest of the fuel to my buddy who has a traxxas tmaxx or not.

thanks
i tried VP nitro in my 5.9 savage and it ran much better the the traxxas nitro