Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Redcat Monsoon Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 12:33 AM
rchobbyunlimited

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Redcat Monsoon Thread

Thanks so much I feel like a real fool now I was talking about the diff itself wher the grease goes but now I know excatly what you are talking about you must go on the inside of the diff with the diff fluid. Thanks once again this blog is the best.
Old 11-13-2009, 02:56 AM
chevyderek72

Haha hey no problem man. The only stupid question is the one that you dont ask.
Old 11-13-2009, 09:07 AM
rchobbyunlimited

lol thanks once again
Old 12-06-2009, 01:05 AM
Mickstix

What do you put in the diffs?? Is it different weights of oil, like shock oil, or silicone or grease or something else?? Ive seen alot of different numbers posted, throughout this thread.. (ie: 5-10-3 or 3000-5000-10000) I get that it's for the front, center, and rear, but just dont know what the numbers represent.. (Also, whats thedifference in numbers do?) Thanks for any info, this site is always teaching me something!!

Old 12-06-2009, 09:05 AM
firebird78

you put different weight oils in the diff to tune the truck to your driving style...the heavier the oil = less slip.....for instance I run atleast 7000 in the center so I get good bite...I like the front to pull me around a corner instead of the rear pushing me around the corner so I put 5000 in the front diff and 2000 in the rear diff....if your driving style is were you like to spin the rear (have more power in the rear) you would put 5000 in the rear and 2000 in the front...

I plan to buy some 10000 and try it in the center...then try the 7000 in the front.....and just fiddle with it and see what I like best....the different weight oils do make a big difference on a track...I keep fluids in my bashers, but I really try to pay attention on my racer..

also you want to use rc silicone oils....these way they stay consistant in different temperatures....sometimes diff oils come labeled like 700 or 500, they are actually 7000 and 5000....I have shock oil from 100 wt to 35wt....I run 45 in my racer but I bought the real heavy stuff for my bashers...just depends on how stupid with jumps I plan to get with them as to what I put in em

hope this helps
Old 12-07-2009, 12:55 AM
Mickstix

OK Thanks!! I have all sorts of shock oil (different weights) But I dont recall ever seeing actual "diff" oil?? You dont have a link I could check out do ya?? THanks!
Old 12-07-2009, 10:40 AM
rchobbyunlimited

ORIGINAL: Mickstix

OK Thanks!! I have all sorts of shock oil (different weights) But I dont recall ever seeing actual "diff" oil?? You dont have a link I could check out do ya?? THanks!

Her is a link for diff oil http://www.rufaster.com/difflube.aspx and a great company too they ship fast.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:42 AM
rchobbyunlimited

ORIGINAL: rchobbyunlimited

Her is a link for diff oil http://www.rufaster.com/difflube.aspx and a great company too they ship fast.

If that does not send you to the page directly just scroll down on the left until you see FLUIDS & SEALANTS and then you will see dif oils.

Old 12-07-2009, 07:45 PM
firebird78

OK Thanks!! I have all sorts of shock oil (different weights) But I dont recall ever seeing actual ''diff'' oil?? You dont have a link I could check out do ya?? THanks!

If that does not send you to the page directly just scroll down on the left until you see FLUIDS & SEALANTS and then you will see dif oils.

hay Mike....is that you?
Old 12-08-2009, 12:50 AM
rchobbyunlimited

No not mike just one of his many fans lol
Old 12-09-2009, 01:32 AM
Mickstix

Hey, thanks for the Links to the Diff Oil!! Did anyone see the 100,000 Weight??? I take it that's similar to the "locking putty"??? J/K!! There's a wide range of weights to play with, that's for sure!!
Old 12-09-2009, 01:35 AM
rchobbyunlimited

Hey, thanks for the Links to the Diff Oil!! Did anyone see the 100,000 Weight??? I take it that's similar to the "locking putty"??? J/K!! There's a wide range of weights to play with, that's for sure!!
You welcome any time.

Old 12-27-2009, 03:30 PM
Mickstix

Now that Im a Monsoon owner I have a few questions.. Do yall go with the stock shock oil or change it to something different?Do ya vent the tires to let out debris (if so, how big of a hole?) and has anyone come up with a turnbuckle system or other system to adjust the brake bias from front to rear (Nitro model).. Oh, and should I move the steering servo over to the throttle/brake cause I noticed there differentmodel #'s.(I have an upgraded servo for the steering) Ok, that should do me for now! Thanks!
Old 12-27-2009, 07:05 PM
rchobbyunlimited

Now that Im a Monsoon owner I have a few questions.. Do yall go with the stock shock oil or change it to something different?Do ya vent the tires to let out debris (if so, how big of a hole?) and has anyone come up with a turnbuckle system or other system to adjust the brake bias from front to rear (Nitro model).. Oh, and should I move the steering servo over to the throttle/brake cause I noticed there differentmodel #'s.(I have an upgraded servo for the steering) Ok, that should do me for now! Thanks!
In mine I just like to change the shock oil to 35 front 70 in rear change all the diff oil 10,000 center 3,000 front and 1,000 rear, and instaled a high flow air filter and a new tuned pipe muffler you will notice a great increase in speed and handling on mine everything else is stock.
Old 12-27-2009, 07:27 PM
firebird78

which monsoon do you have, the xp or xrt?...this helps some...

as far as what weight oil in the shocks I started out with 50wt in my rxt but havent really ran it much to give any feedback....as far as moving your stock steering servo to the throttle when you have a better steering servo goes, by all means get it switched...you will not only have faster speed and better torque (better brakes) but you also get the durability of metal gears...

if you want to drop around $50 and want some better pep get ya a dynamite pip...these work well on golden lion engines (sh xtm etc..)...which of the 3 depends on what your plans are....if you really want that thing to haul throw a xtm 457 piston/sleeve in that sh.28 and hold on..lol

you can put 2 breather holes in the center of your tires and wheel (if they arent already there)...do em across from each other and they dont need to be very big...maybe 2 or 3 mm
Old 12-28-2009, 12:25 AM
Mickstix

Awesome, thanks for the info you guys!! BTW,my Monsoon is an XTR!! I was going to loctite the setscrews and motor mount screws, but I cant get them loose? Perhaps they've started loctiting them from the factory? Whats the easiest way to get to/remove the diffs? The directions are no help for stuff like that.. It's about ready for its maiden voyage (well, breakin and then voyage) Im going to fab up a brace for the air cleaner so it doesnt ride on the throttle linkage.. Need to find some thin but stiff wire and bend up a little brace.. Not a whole lot to do to this one.. I put a dab of "liquid" electric tape on the bottom of theantenna "tube" so it'll fit snug in the battery box hole.. Unfortuntely this one doesnt have the post sticking up, where you'd usually slide a piece of fueltubing down over it to secure it.. I justneed to make a few mods to the body.. Gotta widen the hole where the head comes through, so there will be room for the pull starter, and also a hole forthe fueltank.. Also had to put sometape around the body holes.. There was a crack in the body, coming from one of the front mountholes. So I put a drop of super glue in the crack and then some clear tape over/around the body mountholes.. Hopefully that'll keep the crack fromgrowing..I think that's about it..
Old 12-28-2009, 07:19 PM
firebird78

if its as much like my rxt as I think the front and rear diffs are a breeze to remove....remove the front bumper (2 very front screws on the bottom...and 2 going in the shock tower)...that will get you to the lower hing pin retainer...remove it (3 screw)...then remove the 2 screw and hold downs for the front sway bar...just pull the sway bar up past the differental case....remove the 4 screws in the diff case and walla there is your diff...

the rear is easier....remove the 2 vary back screws on the bottom...then the 2 screw on the rear hinge pin retainer....then like the front remove the sway bar mounts and raise the sway bar up past the diff case...then remove the 4 diff case screws....

the center diff is a bit trickier....first pop the throttle linkage off the carb....then mark the servo horn location and remove the screw that holds the horn on and pull off the horn (I try not to move the servo...if you do you will havta re-adjust you radio settings iffin you dont get the teeth right)...remove the 4 screws on the bottom holding the assy to the chassis....flip it back over and pull out the assy....you should see how it comes apart from there (my fingers getting tired..lol)....

the worst part is trying to get all the cv shafts and dog bones back in the drive cups when you re-assemble..lol...dont be afraid to post up if you run into troubles
Old 12-28-2009, 07:38 PM
Mickstix

Sweet, thanks again!!  I wonder if anyones fabricated a roll bar/HANDLE for these things, to hold onto if ya have to pull start it?? lol.. The head is about the only place to hold onto, and if ya have to refire it after it's hot, that could be tricky!!
Old 12-28-2009, 07:47 PM
firebird78

not that I know of....my rxt is going to go under the knife and get the xtm 457 removed in favor of a GO tech .21 5 port....this way no more pull starts or drill starts....bump box is king...lol
Old 12-29-2009, 12:08 AM
Mickstix

Bump box?? BUMP BOX?? Come on Firebird... Dont know know real men pull startthere piston err engines!! lol..
Old 12-29-2009, 07:51 AM
firebird78

I guess I'm not a real man....either that or I'm lazy..lol....nothin like a properly setup bump box...throw the rc on it, jab the fire to her and push...
Old 12-29-2009, 02:35 PM
Mickstix

ORIGINAL: firebird78

jab the fire to her and push...
Hmm.. Sounds interesting.. I might just have to try this bumpbox thing sometime! (Not sure I can afford it though??) [X(]
Old 12-29-2009, 06:24 PM
firebird78

actually I'm looking into getting a xtm bump start back plate and see if that will allow me to lower the engine down low enuff so the flywheel is low enuff for the bump box wheel to engage it...just may work...if it does there is a good possability that you could do the same...I'll keep ya on the upty up
Old 12-29-2009, 07:24 PM
lvh

Mick i belive they are using loc-tite on the bolts i use a little hand held torch heat them up. You don't have to get them real hot just hot to the touch and they back right out good luck.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:58 PM
Mickstix

THanks LVH! I knew that hobby tourch I bought years ago would come in handy sometime!

Firebird, Yea I noticed the flywheel sits way up in the chassis.. Couldnt ya shave some off the motor mount to lower it or wouldnt that work? (Ive not checked it out, just recalling from memory about the how high the flywheel was) Fill me in if ya get it worked out!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.