Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Redcat Monsoon Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 08:22 PM
firebird78

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Redcat Monsoon Thread

ya cant shave it off enuff....

but here ya go....throw this mamma on http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Mayhem-Pro-RTR and you can remove the spacers and then utilize the bump box,....another bonus to this is most likely the engine will automaticly go to bdc when shut down ...
Old 12-29-2009, 11:51 PM
Mickstix

No picture But I think I get it.. The pull starter gets in the way, so this backplate will allow ya to lower the motor enough? How does this get it to goto BDC when it shuts down? I've seen Ali Shanmo give the pull start like 2 revolutions after shuttin the engine off, and wondered if that does it? But I've tried it, and it never lines up with the BDC mark Iv'e got on the flywheel.. How do you mark your flywheels?? I just use a sharpie on the teeth of the flywheel.. Stays on there for a week or two until ya have to darken it up.. Always lookin for better ways though! Dont ya just love how I always have more questions for ya?hehehe...
Old 12-30-2009, 12:01 AM
firebird78

the reason it will most likely go to bdc (my racer has yet to stop anywere else...I still check it ).....with pull start, roto, tiger drive..basically anything were you have a one way bearing this will stop your engine in places other then bdc....with bump start plates the engine turns free either way....on my rc's that have a one way I do like you..mark the flywheel with a sharpie

and yes with the posted plate you can lower the engine enuff to use the bump box
Old 12-30-2009, 12:12 AM
Mickstix

Ah cool! Learn sompin ery day!! I always wondered what would get messed up if I spun the flywheel the wrong way.. I didnt think the piston would care, but now I know its the one way that ya break.. Kewl!!! Yea, I might have to check into bump start boxes. Or, that new Losi I saw in the mag looks cool.. They have a little starter motor mounted up and some sort of remote ignitor, and ya start the think from the tranmitter (channel 3) with just a push of a button! Be cool if that took off and they started makin em' for all motors... But then I'd have to get all new tranmitters.. DOH!!
Old 12-31-2009, 06:49 PM
Mickstix

Ok, I'vedone my 1st "mod" to the Monsoon..
I noticed right off when I would work the throttle servo, the linkage for the carb would hit the aircleaner.. While it probably isnt a big deal, I dont like stuff touchin that shouldnt, so I made a small bracket to hold the airfilter up off the carb linkage.. I used an old spinnerbait I had for the wire, and just bent it into shape with some pliers and a vise. (bent it around a screw driver handle that was similar size to the aircleaner "hose".. Here it is! Enjoy!

Old 01-13-2010, 01:29 PM
Mickstix

Anyone know if these Losi (see link below)side guards will fit on the Monsoon? (I know they'll need some modding, but just wondering if they fit any better or worse than the others I've seen posted. (IE: Kyosho ST-R side guards or ThunderTiger ST-1 side guards) Are they all pretty much the same or do some fit the Monsoon better than others?? Thanks for the help!!

http://www.thercshack.com/losa4425ch...uardset8b.aspx
Old 01-13-2010, 03:13 PM
lvh

Very nice mick looks like it will work!!
Old 01-13-2010, 07:02 PM
cirec

Are there any other bodies that will fit without mods? I think someone here had a Cen truggy body on their Monsoon.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:38 PM
Mickstix

The wheel openings and body mount holes are going to need to be cutout on most aftermarket bodies, (Im not sure what the diminsions of thre CEN-Tare)but the Monsoon is very closein size (length, width, wheelbase)to the Losi 8IGHT-T and Associated RC8-T, so most aftermarket truggy bodies should fit it no problem! The Losi 8IGHT-T is within 5 mm length wise, and the same wheelbase as the Monsoon, so if the body you want is "made to fit", (and they dontmake it for the Monsoon)get one that's made for the Losi 8-T, and you should be good to go!! Post some pix if ya do get a new body!!

Old 01-14-2010, 01:43 AM
cirec

The 8ight T 1 or 2? A Losi or Associated body will probably get me more respect at the track.
Old 01-15-2010, 12:17 AM
Mickstix

Sorry,  the Losi 8-T 1.0 is closer to the Monsoon.. The 2.0 is about 10mm (appx 1/2") longer..
Note:  Both the Associated RC8-T and Losi 8-T 1.0 are listed (length) at 5mm longer than the Monsoon, but the Wheelbase of the Losi can be made the exact same as the Monsoon, while the Associated's wheelbase is also 5mm longer than the Monsoon.. But 5mm aint much at all.. (appx. 1/4") So I imagine either of those bodies should fit quite well..

But imo, your best bet is to just get a new "clear" Monsoon body, and paint it up in any manufacturers' colors ya want! Unless this is a typo (doubt it is) you can get Monsoon body's for $10.. Check it out!! New Monsoon/Maelstrom Body from URCHobby.com
Old 01-15-2010, 12:53 AM
ronan

great mod, just wanted to check if you got the new monsoon xtr or the old monsoon, looking at your links i'd say you got the xtr. if you do, could you post a pic of the clutchbell. thanks
Old 01-15-2010, 01:35 AM
chevyderek72

You could just buy the hurricane mud gaurds, they should just slap right on since they should use the same chassis. Only thing is that it might protrude past the body.

By the way mick how you likin your monsoon?
Old 01-15-2010, 11:25 PM
Mickstix

Dude, your brilliant!! I didnt even think about the guards for the buggies.. (actually thought they had "tub"chassis, with the guards built in) but I was able to find some guards for the Backdraft (Didnt see any for the Hurricane) but they look like what I need and are less than 4 bucks, so I cant really go wrong.. (And Im fond of the dremel if need be.)I just want to seal up the bottom as good as I can to try and keep some of the sand and junk out of there.. Anyway, Im still a day away from getting the Monsoon broke in.. I did the first few stages then it got cold down here, so it's been on the back burner for about 2 weeks.. Today it was warm enough so I got it out and was finishing up the breakin when the transmitter started blinkin (batts low) so I had to put it on the charger.. But its gonna be a blast when I finally get to let it loose!! I can tell it pushes like a dump truck though. Gonna need to adjust the setup some.. Right now it picks up the front wheel and drives off the rears, and pushes bad coming off a tight corner.. But I've not even scratched the surface of the thing yet.. Soon though, very soon!
Old 01-16-2010, 05:07 AM
cirec

Will spray paint be fine? What do I put over the paint? What do I use to punch in holes? What do I cut the body with? I used a kitchen knife to cut a hole for refueling once and it turned out horrible. I really do not want to mess up and spend more money on another body and more paint.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:27 AM
rchobbyunlimited

No you can not use regular spray paint I always use pactra paints which are good rc paints. You will paint the inside of the body not the outside. To cut holes you can use the dubro tool ste which is a lexan hole punch and lexan curved sissciors you can get this set off ebay very cheap. Also you would want to get a dremal tool set they are very handy and a must to smooth out edges cut holes and many more uses you will find to use with your rc projects.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:11 AM
Mickstix

Definitely use paint made for lexan! (Your lhs should have a good selection of rattle can paints made for rc bodies) As rchobbyunlimited said, ya need a pair of lexan body scissors to cut the body! (least that's what I use.. Some can "score" the body with a razor knife, and then "tear" the wheel opening and stuff, but I cant seem to do it right..) The lexan scissors are curved at the tip, and make it fairly easy to cut out wheel openings w/o them looking jagged, then the dremel with a sanding drum will clean em up to perfection!! Just make sure and mark the openings with a sharpie first, so ya know where your supposed to cut. Do all your marking on the outside, so when your done you pull off the protective "skin" and it'll remove any leftover markings, and show off your new paint job!! I start by setting the body down on the car and mark where the body posts are going to be, then cut the holes. (I use a dremel w/a cone shaped bit for this. It's easy to make the holes bigger in small steps, until the body posts fit perfectly.. But a body reamer is good too, and will probably make the hole perfect size right off the bat?? I've never had one so Im not positive) But the scissors and a dremel are your friends when cutting RC bodies!! Once ya have the body holes done, set the body down on the car and see where ya want to wheel openings to be.. (they might be pre-perferated) but ya still want to make sure the wheels will be in the center of the openings when there cut! Use the sharpie to mark the opening, then cut it out with the scissors.. Also, before you paint the car, make sure and wash the inside of the body with some dish soap and warm water, to get any release agents or oils off of it, so the paint will stick good.. You can do a search on the net for "How to paint an rc car" and a bunch of how-to links and videos will pop up! Youtube has some good ones!! Like was said above, you'll need to paint it from the inside, so ya have to do all the layers backwards.. (read the how-to's, it really not as hard as it sounds) Good luck and be sure to take lots of pix!!!
Old 01-17-2010, 11:24 PM
cirec

I know you paint the inside but isn't there something you put over the paint? The American flag body I have now is white on the inside. Also I'm assuming this will cost more than getting a pre-painted body.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:02 AM
Mickstix

Most spray a final layer of white, when there done. The white brightens up the colors and makes em "pop", so to speak.. There might be a final coating you can use that's nitro proof or something, but the paints that are made for lexan are already solvent proof, if Im not mistaken.. But a final layer or white is all ya need..
Old 01-18-2010, 06:17 PM
Mickstix

Does anyone know what causes these "dings" in the exhaust pipe?? I noticed mine had "one" ding the other day, then I ran it up and down the driveway a few times and put it away, and now I see it has multiple dings?? Are they heat related or what?? I cant figure it out.. Any ideas??

Old 01-18-2010, 10:44 PM
chevyderek72

Only thing i can think of is the pullstart. Ive always wondered that but looking now if say your jumping or something, the pullstart will fall forward and hit the pipe. Looks like it would hit perfect.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:16 PM
Mickstix

Yea, the handle of the starter is the only thing thats solid and lines up with them? Still odd, as Im just in breakin stage, and havent even run it much, and definitely havent jumped or hit anything.. Odd to say the least.. Oh well.. Im gettin tired of pullin my arm off to start the thing too.. Goona check into the electric starter tonight!! Need to give Kurt a call and see what he can do for me...
Old 01-22-2010, 04:30 PM
ronan

you can use the black undercoat spray they use for cars, there's a 3M brand or just go to any auto supply like Kragen or Pepboys
Old 01-28-2010, 11:04 PM
chevyderek72

If your got a good tune it should start right up, if the pinch is still real right you could heat it up with a blow drier or something to loosen it up while its cold
Old 01-28-2010, 11:15 PM
tylerjackson
My Feedback: (1)

The "tings" on the exhust pipe are on EVERYONES stock pipe. They are so thin that anything hitting with a decent amount of force, like a rock while driving in gravel or in the dirt. Take a look at it after a good few runs its going to get ridiclous. After a while you can make the dents by pressing it in with your fingers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.