Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

"OFFICIAL" Redcat Avalanche thread

Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

"OFFICIAL" Redcat Avalanche thread

Old 12-17-2007, 11:30 PM
twomanytoys

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "OFFICIAL" Redcat Avalanche thread

I figured since there is no official avalanche thread I would start one so here goes.

My first upgrades on my sons new Avalanche. A Sportwerks V2 engine, 3,40,10 diff fluids, primer and new air filter for now. I have not run it yet. Once I have I will give a full report, but how it is set up now with the new engine and diff fluids I can bet that its wicked fast. I also have 3 different size carb bowls to chose from. It has the smallest size 6.0mm. Then it goes to 7.5mm and 9mm. The 9mm would be sick but Im not going to go there yet. My son has not seen it yet nor does he even know I have it. He is going to be so friggin excited. What do you all think so far?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66825.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	828294   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq50425.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	828295   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb74566.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	828296  
Old 12-18-2007, 12:39 AM
cdextreme

Default RE: "OFFICIAL" Redcat Avalanche thread

Can I call you dad?
Old 12-18-2007, 02:04 AM
Defmeq

Wow!! that is sweet man. Is that engine really that much more powerfult than the SH .28? I mean the SH is crazy fast already. Lookin mean man!! If i were you I would stand behind your son when he first sees it on christmas morning, he might just pass out!
What is that diff oil setup intended for? Racing, regular setup, or for wheelies?

Defm

(it's so nice and clean!)
Old 12-18-2007, 06:53 AM
twomanytoys

He likes wheelies so i made the center diff a little thicker to get better traction in the rear but yet he can still race at the track. The Speedwerks has alot more power and its a 7 port instead of 3 port. Its the same engine as the losi m427. One of the best low dollar big blocks you can get.
Old 12-18-2007, 07:22 AM
vnmsgt

Sounds like the truck is more for him then his son! LOL Don't get mad when you son rolls over that thunder tiger[:@]
Old 12-18-2007, 07:38 AM
{GBI}Harryball

Nice, how bout a link for the motor.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:55 AM
twomanytoys

He has to catch me first I will look for a link and post it. I usually get my stuff on ebay. The Speedwerks v2, mach .26, losi 427 and mach 427 are all the same but the speedwerks has a better carb.
Old 12-18-2007, 06:51 PM
Chubbysdad
My Feedback: (1)

Hey Harry, ask wade to get one from Horizon or great planes. They will have them.
Old 12-19-2007, 11:56 PM
derrick_chi

Anyone know if there are any grills out there for the avalanche?
Old 12-20-2007, 06:44 AM
twomanytoys

You mean bumpers?
Old 12-20-2007, 08:50 AM
derrick_chi

Yeah, thats what I meant bumpers, know of any out there?
Old 12-21-2007, 07:58 AM
{GBI}Harryball

ORIGINAL: Clermont Hobby

Hey Harry, ask wade to get one from Horizon or great planes. They will have them.
Thanks D, I will do that.
Old 12-28-2007, 06:50 PM
pede_187

I wonder if anyone has thought about doing a BL Avalanche? OMG that would be insane!
Old 12-30-2007, 12:27 AM
bennymetal

Glad to see the "official" Avalanche thread started. I just got mine a few days ago and I am getting ready to begin the break-in procedure.

Stupid question: There is a plastic cover over the air filter, do I run with this on or is this just to protect during shipping?
Old 12-30-2007, 02:02 AM
joemadore

Nice ride! I bet your kid will love it.
I wanted to clear up a couple of things though. We are a Horizon dealer as well as a Redcat dealer. The Sportwerks .26v2 is a good engine, we have seen a better lifespan than the SH .28 but the SH has better power for a big truck like the AVALANCHE. The Sportwerks is not the same engine as the Losi Mach 427, M26SS or the Dynamite .26, M427. The Sportwerks .26v2 is a 7 port sleeve, the M427 is 5 ports and the M26SS has 3 ports. Not trying to be a know it all, just wanted to clear this up before some of you guys spend unnecessary $$$. When our RedCat customers need (or just want) a new engine we usually recommend the Axial .28 because of the low price, good power and excellent durability.

Altu RC Hobby Shop
Old 12-30-2007, 02:37 AM
Defmeq

I think the air filter plastic cover is meant to stay on, mine is on and it works great. Also thanks to Joemadore for reassuring me that my SH .28 owns all~ BTW we need to get on the wheelie contest guys. Lets have some chat about different setups. I'm about to order some new diff/shock oil and I'm still not really sure what i need. I wanna be able to do wheelies but I don't wanna compromise my overall performance. I've heard a few examples of peoples setups but I'd like to hear all your input.

Defm~
Old 12-30-2007, 10:26 AM
twomanytoys

Joe,

You are wrong about the V2 and 427 not being the same. They are the same and both have 7 ports. I can also tell you that with out a doubt the v2 is WAY faster than teh sh28. The sh is a great engine its just not on the level of the V2.

Defmeg,
The plastic cover on the air filter will restrict airflow so you will not get the full power that the engine is capable of. Get a filter with the pre filter and you will have to retune slightly and see the power increase.
Old 12-30-2007, 07:00 PM
twomanytoys

Today is the first day my son has been able to run it. Let me tell you that this thing hauls major ***** with the sportwerks v2 engine and it handles better than any monster truck that I have ever driven. Almost impossible to flip around turns. He was doing jumps that I never saw him do and even bad jumps looked good. I had a e clip fall off so a pin came out. had to run for e clips. Then I got my Truggy out and we raced. This thing gives me a run for my money for sure. Very impressed with this truck. I think I would absolutely put this truck up against any of the big names for sure.

My brother inlaw and nephew were also over with thier new Monster gt's. I sold the sh.28 engine to my brother inlaw and broke it in for him. That engine is a power house for sure. Could not keep the front wheels down. It smoked the stock .28 mgt but they were no match for the avalanche. They lined up several times and as soon as the avalanche took off it was all over for the MGT's. Even with the single speed avalanche the 2 speed monster gt's could not catch it. Then they did an oval race. The avalanche hugged the turns and pretty much lapped the mgt's while the mgt's were rolling and flipping.

From a dead stop when he nails the throttle on the avalanche all 4 tires break loose and grass flies everywhere. Its so FN funny seeing it tear up the lawn. I really need to get video because it is sick fast. My son had a grin from ear to ear to whole time. Thats when he challenged me to a race against my truggy. If he were a better driver I would bet that it could take me with out a doubt.

Over all I am 100% satisfied with this truck. It makes a tmaxx look like a radio shack special.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:24 PM
joemadore

I stand corrected, did a little hands on research and found that the Losi 427 is a 7 port (6 intake, 1 exhaust) engine. Dynamite M427 is 4 intake, 1 exhaust. SH28 is 3 intake, 1 exhaust, same with the M26SS. V2 is 6 intake 1 exhaust, difference in TL427 and V2 is port timing, V2 exhaust port is 1mm closer to the top of cylinder measured with dial caliper. Higher exhaust port and longer blowdown (distance between top of transfer ports and exhaust port) equals more top end power, which describes the V2, it's got great top end scream. I think the crank timing is a bit different on the V2 and L427 also which makes the L427 a better low end mill but it won't run with the V2 on top. Either engine is a great choice for a replacement in the Avalanche as the lifespan on both is better than the SH.

Now as for performance, you peaked our interest in this issue so we had a shootout today to see which was faster. We used two Redcat Hurricane XP's with NEW engines one with the SH28 and one with a Sportwerks .26V2. We broke in both engines and tuned for max performance and used Redcat clutches on both. The results in side by side drag races (on pavement) were as follows.

From dead stop
30' win SH
60' win SH
90' win V2
120' win V2

From a rolling start
30' win SH
60' win SH
90' win V2
120' win V2

We did multiple runs with different drivers and the results were the same. At 30' & 60' the SH held a 10-15' lead, at 90' the V2 had a 5-10' lead, at 120' the V2 was 10-15' ahead.

On the racetrack there was little if any difference in performance between the two engines, but the V2 did get almost 1 more minute of run time per tank.

Next we are going to try the same tests with a Axial .28 and a Dynamite Platinum .28, should be fun!

Altus RC Hobby
Old 12-30-2007, 09:35 PM
twomanytoys

What carb insert did you use for this test?

The sh has bigger displacement, more hp and torque than the V2 but at a much lower rpm's while the V2 has higher rpm's and its a 7port makes it better on top end yet the v2 can hold its own against the bigger sh engine..

Let us know how the axial does because I have one of those to. I would like to know how the axial and V2 compair. Some say the axial does not have good top end at all but I tend to disagree. I had the V2 in my truggy for racing but wanted to see what the axial had so I put the V2 in the avalanche. I want the more powerful engine in my truggy and right now from what I see they are alot alike buthe axial does have better bottom end.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:49 PM
joemadore

We used the 9mm insert and still got better fuel milage than the SH. We will try to test the other two engines next week and report back.
Old 12-31-2007, 05:38 PM
Defmeq

How is your setup on the Avalanche working out Twomany? I want to put in an order for some new diff/shock oil asap and I wanted to make sure you were happy with that 3/40/10 diff setup(wheelies??). Also i was thinking 30 or 40 wt shock oil. When I drop it from about waist high it bottoms out so I think i need them kinda stiff. Should I have the same weight shock oil in the front shocks as the back? I was planning on them being the same. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Defm
Old 01-01-2008, 11:35 AM
Defmeq

Anyone snow proofed an Avalanche yet?
Old 01-01-2008, 12:37 PM
twomanytoys

I use 60wt in the shocks and chest high it does not bottom out but it still handles great. My son has already done some pretty big jumps and it jumps awsome.

As for the diffs the front and rear are fine but still no wheelies. I am up to 60wt in the center and the front tires dont baloon as much but still spin faster than rear. Im going to try 80wt and 100 wt. It will pop the wheels up slightly but then the torque goes to the front and comes back down so Im close. Thats the only downfall with a center diff opposed to a transmission.
I will let you guys know what weight will work to get these wheels up.
Old 01-02-2008, 05:18 PM
pede_187

I don't mean to be picky or anything but does anyone have a measurement of how thick the arms on this beast are?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.