Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

REDCRAP FM RADIO

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 11:18 PM
dayglo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: REDCRAP FM RADIO

i'm not sure who "ken" is but if people r stateing their problems and opinions, i don't think it's your place to tell them they can't state the problems they r having because it makes redcat look bad in your opinion. if anything your respons to them makes me think i shouldn't have got a redcat. i don't think it's bashing, and it maybe the users fault, but they should be able to say how they fell or this forum is for crap. or can't i say that ethier?
Old 03-21-2008, 11:36 PM
Macanan

Ken is the forums cop/police and he watches and makes sure everyone goes by RC Universe rule's, which I dont think he should have the right to say what we can say over Redcats products when this forum is here for that very reason.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:39 PM
dayglo

i agree!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-21-2008, 11:57 PM
need2drag
My Feedback: (1)

I believe that people should be able to give their opinions on their equipment they have, but I also think that things seem to have gotten a little out of hand. I understand people are frustrated, and I am rather worried about my FM transmitter, being that I don't have the money to replace it, or any parts that break if it does fail. But hey, sh** happens. If I remember a thread a while back about this same issue, I do believe Darin said something about possibly looking into a different radio, I could be wrong on this so don't jump me too hard if I am, but what do you want them to do? Stop selling the vehicles until they get a different radio for them? Then everyone will be mad because they can't buy a new vehicle. I am not saying I agree with Ken on this, nor am I saying that everything that has been said in this thread is totally cool, and that no one is getting out of line. Darin has said it many times on here about how they are still fairly new in this business, and still working out some kinks. I am sure HPI, LOSI, and TRAXXIS all had issues for the first couple of years they were out. Give it time and I am sure things will get better, and I am sure peoples issues are taken to heart by these guys and they want to fix it.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:59 PM
RedcatRacing

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Redcat Offers a warranty on radios as we always have. If you are having issues with your radio, you should visit the link below.

http://www.redcatracing.com/warrantyclaimform.asp

I have stated in an earlier post that the problems we have heard about are less than 1% on the FM radio. We use the warranty requests as the barometer to determine if there are issues and there have not been many warranty requests on the FM's. If we start to notice a lot of requests for certain things, we take it to the factory for resolution.

I understand that many people on our forum, are mentioning issues with their FM radios. I suggest that if you have a problem to use the form link above and also follow many things that people have mentioned in the forums prior to running your car.

Some of these things include:

Make sure your batteries are fully charged
Make sure your crystals are firmly pushed all the way in the controller and the receiver pack
Always tape your batteries together
Run the vehicle in an open area where there might not be other interference
Install a failsafe and throttle return springs
Prior to running your car, test the radio before running by having a friend hold the car as you walk away from the vehicle testing the controls

Those of you that have already posted issues with your FM radio on the forum, are welcome to email me directly with the parts that you need to fix your car. I will work with you on a discount for those parts to get you up and running again. Of course, this can only go for those that have FM radios, have already posted their issue and purchased the vehicle new from a Redcat dealer. I may ask for pictures of the vehicle and may also ask for certain broken parts to be returned.

Darin
[email protected]
Old 03-22-2008, 12:11 AM
Swamp3r

ORIGINAL: need2drag

I believe that people should be able to give their opinions on their equipment they have, but I also think that things seem to have gotten a little out of hand. I understand people are frustrated, and I am rather worried about my FM transmitter, being that I don't have the money to replace it, or any parts that break if it does fail. But hey, sh** happens. If I remember a thread a while back about this same issue, I do believe Darin said something about possibly looking into a different radio, I could be wrong on this so don't jump me too hard if I am, but what do you want them to do? Stop selling the vehicles until they get a different radio for them? Then everyone will be mad because they can't buy a new vehicle. I am not saying I agree with Ken on this, nor am I saying that everything that has been said in this thread is totally cool, and that no one is getting out of line. Darin has said it many times on here about how they are still fairly new in this business, and still working out some kinks. I am sure HPI, LOSI, and TRAXXIS all had issues for the first couple of years they were out. Give it time and I am sure things will get better, and I am sure peoples issues are taken to heart by these guys and they want to fix it.
Best post in here yet. I agree 100% nice post need2drag.
Old 03-22-2008, 12:28 AM
dayglo

hey Darin, your alright. i still like my monsoon and redcat. i don't need to bash redcat because i think they are alright. i don't know about the radio's because i never used the one that came with mine. anyway keep up the good work!
Old 03-22-2008, 12:40 AM
jumpanddrop

ORIGINAL: dayglo

hey Darin, your alright. now that "ken" , i don't know. i still like my monsoon and redcat. i don't need to bash redcat because i think they are alright. i don't know about the radio's because i never used the one that came with mine. anyway keep up the good work!
lol i wouldent bash rc ken if i where you. lol he can do wut ever he wants. i dont think u want to go on moderator watch do you???. lol ask zeen about it, its a pain in the arse
Old 03-22-2008, 01:32 AM
Redharris

ORIGINAL: jumpanddrop

ORIGINAL: dayglo

hey Darin, your alright. now that "ken" , i don't know. i still like my monsoon and redcat. i don't need to bash redcat because i think they are alright. i don't know about the radio's because i never used the one that came with mine. anyway keep up the good work!
lol i wouldent bash rc ken if i where you. lol he can do wut ever he wants. i dont think u want to go on moderator watch do you???. lol ask zeen about it, its a pain in the arse
Yeah...rc ken is just doing his job....and I 'm sure we annoy him all the time with our sometimes argumentive behavior and our "politics".[:@]
Still.....sometimes you gotta police the Police........
Old 03-22-2008, 01:35 AM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We'll just have to exercise our rights to make topics talking about Redcats pros and cons on other forums. Of course, even that is asking for trouble RCU is a little touchy about anything critiquing Redcat
Old 03-22-2008, 06:02 AM
Chubbysdad

Darin, let me give you my opinion on why you think it is only 1 percent. I agree , people are not using the warranty. BUt seriously, with the kind of numbers of bad radio's (almost every fm that i sold) why would you want to exchange it for another one that isnt going to last either. I think that is why your stats are so low. If you went to the store and got some bad meat in a can, would you go back.. no way lol..
I hope you realize i am not bashing you either , its just that these radio's are an accident waiting to happen. I also notice that almost every redcat radio I get in, sounds like there is all litttle metal things bouncing around in there when you move the controller. Might be something else to point out to the manufacturer. Also, the crystals always seem to be quite loose on the radio's I receive.
I understand that alot of rtr radio's are not the best, but these do need some help. Just my opinion
Old 03-22-2008, 07:58 AM
need2drag

ORIGINAL: Swamp3r

ORIGINAL: need2drag

Best post in here yet. I agree 100% nice post need2drag.
Thanks bro. I don't want people to think that I feel everyone is bashing Redcat, or that you shouldn't be able to express your feelings. I do agree with everyone that the Radios do seem a little cheap, but hey...what can you do other than express your feelings a little and see what Darin says about it. And as far as the 1% deal. I have noticed that it seems to be that everyone who has had an issue with theirs don't go through Redcat to get it replaced, and I understand what everyone is saying about not wanting the same "Problem Radio" in return so they go get a new one elsewhere. Thus is why he is only saying 1%. You can't really be a statistic in that if you don't use the Warranty program. I think that is what Darin was trying to point out to everyone. I also see that Darin did post up that everyone who has had an issue to email him a list of broken parts and what not. It looks to me like he is doing all he can to help. That is one thing I have noticed, when there is an issue expressed on here, he tries to help as much as possible. I truly believe that for what you pay for a Redcat vehicle, you are getting a pretty dang good setup. I spent $300 on my Monsoon, and I wouldn't take it over my dad's $450 Savage. He actually told me that he thinks the Radio that came with that is pretty cheap to so he is going to replace it with a Futaba.

All I am saying in all of this really is that I think some people need to be a little more careful on how they word things and what they say. Then it won't seem like you are bashing Redcat, instead it will seem like you are pointing out an issue in hopes that Redcat will read and try to fix the issue. Hope everyone gets their cars taken care of.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:16 AM
need2drag

OK, I took the time to write some stuff and hopefully tame things a little, but I used one slightly inappropriate word and both of my posts got deleted by RCKen. Looks like I won't write anymore books on here. [&:]
Old 03-22-2008, 08:27 AM
need2drag

All I can say is I hope these issues get resolved. I would love to go into detail about how I really feel but I guess I am not allowed to. Being that I have one of the FM radios if something should happen I will go through the warranty program and see what happens there.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:32 AM
pede_187

ORIGINAL: Clermont Hobby

Darin, let me give you my opinion on why you think it is only 1 percent. I agree , people are not using the warranty. BUt seriously, with the kind of numbers of bad radio's (almost every fm that i sold) why would you want to exchange it for another one that isnt going to last either. I think that is why your stats are so low. If you went to the store and got some bad meat in a can, would you go back.. no way lol..
I hope you realize i am not bashing you either , its just that these radio's are an accident waiting to happen. I also notice that almost every redcat radio I get in, sounds like there is all litttle metal things bouncing around in there when you move the controller. Might be something else to point out to the manufacturer. Also, the crystals always seem to be quite loose on the radio's I receive.
I understand that alot of rtr radio's are not the best, but these do need some help. Just my opinion
Yeah, they should exchange the radio system and get their money back for it
Old 03-22-2008, 10:21 AM
need2drag

ok so RCKen let me repost this again. It might seem a little different now, but I hope people still understand what I am saying.

I believe that people should be able to give their opinions on their equipment they have, but I also think that things seem to have gotten a little out of hand. I understand people are frustrated, and I am rather worried about my FM transmitter, being that I don't have the money to replace it, or any parts that break if it does fail. But hey, crap happens. If I remember a thread a while back about this same issue, I do believe Darin said something about possibly looking into a different radio, I could be wrong on this so don't jump me too hard if I am, but what do you want them to do? Stop selling the vehicles until they get a different radio for them? Then everyone will be mad because they can't buy a new vehicle. I am not saying I agree with Ken on this, nor am I saying that everything that has been said in this thread is totally cool, and that no one is getting out of line. Darin has said it many times on here about how they are still fairly new in this business, and still working out some kinks. I am sure HPI, LOSI, and TRAXXIS all had issues for the first couple of years they were out. Give it time and I am sure things will get better, and I am sure peoples issues are taken to heart by these guys and they want to fix it.
Old 03-22-2008, 12:47 PM
firebird78

Darin...I wont ask you to replace my parts nor my radio....mine happened a couple months ago..my parts are in the trash and I did not take pics of the damage..if you want I'll send you my fm radio..im not using it...and I do not want another in return..
I'm not rich by no means but I may be a lil better off then others..my concern is people that cant afford to upgrade radios or buy $60 or more worth of parts when this radio fails.. and worse case a 1/8th car taking off and hitting someone at top speed.. I'm not saying to quit selling the cars that this radio comes with...just call and tell em to put am radios in the box in place of the fm...not trying to bash redcat at all...just dont want some kid to save up a bunch of money to buy one these cars and it take off on him and totally destroys it and the kid just gives up on this hobby...or god forbid someone gets hurt...just looking out for your best intrest
Old 03-22-2008, 12:48 PM
RedcatRacing

Anyone that has a bad radio or even anyone that is concerned that their FM radio will have an issue in the future can swap their FM radio for a new AM radio with new servos.

The main issue is we are pretty much out of stock on all radios, but I am working with the factory to get some shipped in via Air or on our next container due in at end of April.

In the next few days, I will put together the plan for the swap out with a webpage and directions on how we will handle this.

We will need radios and servos returned for those that want to do the swap.

Our cost difference from the factory on the AM to FM radio is about $5 and I will be happy to put a $5 credit on everyones account that does the swap out.

I will also handle issues via email on those that need parts where they believe the radio was at fault. I will work with you on discounts on parts that we associated with this. You should email me directly.

The radio swap will be via a form with instructions on how to handle the actual swap out to AM so please don't email me on that just yet as I want to get the dates and full instructions in place.

We will also be sending a notice to all dealers on the potential issues with the FM digital radios so they can inform their customers who can also swap radios if they choose.

As stated before in another thread, the forums are great, no matter the subject. They make Redcat stronger and better at what we do. Even though, from where I sit, I don't hear about the issues or potential problems probably due to what some of you guys said, such as people won't report a defective radio or let us know as they would just buy a better one, it is threads like this that make any potential problem come to light. It's a lesson well learned. We need to react faster and change the ways we gauge potential problems.

At the beginning of the Redcat forum on RCU, I could have taken 2 roads. 1. Just let it be. Let the users run it and just leave all the things alone. 2. Join in, make comments, talk about what we are doing, build relationships etc.. Of course I took road number 2. Show me another forum where the owner of the company interacts daily with their users and I will show you a company that has gotten 100x better than when they started.

Thanks

Darin

Old 03-22-2008, 12:59 PM
Lordmik

Way to step up!!! I am thoroughly impressed!!
Old 03-22-2008, 01:42 PM
rckreep

Thats how you deal with a problem!!

I will be sending my FM in for a replacement AM.

Thank you Red cat!!
Old 03-22-2008, 02:20 PM
bbb18c1

Would this also apply to people in Canada? I love the Am radios that I got with my shockwave and quake, but not the FM that I got with the Mosoon. Either way, its okay, since I have already replaced it. But it would be nice to have a spare though.

We would have to trade in the servo's also? Why not just the radio and receiver?

Old 03-22-2008, 03:31 PM
Swamp3r

ORIGINAL: bbb18c1

Would this also apply to people in Canada? I love the Am radios that I got with my shockwave and quake, but not the FM that I got with the Mosoon. Either way, its okay, since I have already replaced it. But it would be nice to have a spare though.

We would have to trade in the servo's also? Why not just the radio and receiver?

Cause alot of times new radios and receivers come with 2 to 3 servos.
Old 03-22-2008, 05:04 PM
need2drag

I think I will take advantage of this too. That is awesome that this is getting taken care of.
Old 03-28-2008, 10:36 PM
5lagd

ORIGINAL: sheograth

Yeah, a failsafe still relies on certain things in the system working properly. A good return spring or independent ignition killer is best. Nitros are a bit harder to just "kill" though. 1/5 gassers have a nice big red button for that
what is an independant ignition killer?
Old 03-28-2008, 11:04 PM
Cam_132

ORIGINAL: ldgasp

ORIGINAL: sheograth

Yeah, a failsafe still relies on certain things in the system working properly. A good return spring or independent ignition killer is best. Nitros are a bit harder to just "kill" though. 1/5 gassers have a nice big red button for that
what is an independant ignition killer?
Ya i was wondering about that too... it is a nitro not a Gas... and it runs on a glow plug there is no spark... if i know what you are tlaking about...

And it is called a Kill Switch!