Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

"New" old motor

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 06:22 PM
chevyderek72

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "New" old motor

So i had Redcat Nick repinch my sleeves on my engine, and ive already done two tanks of the break in and its runnin awesome. Had a really good amount of pinch, so it took like 20 pulls to start it for the first time. but after it was started and run its great. starts great, idles great, runs great. i never thought repinching sleeves would work this good. Thanks nick.
Old 09-13-2008, 07:38 PM
chevyderek72

Default RE: "New" old motor

ok scratch that, i did another tank and everything was great. then i noticed that there was a lot of oil on the car near the engine, so i looked and thought the manifold was leaking, then i looked again and saw that it was leaking from the head. so i took it off and everything looked good, so i must have been not tightened enough or something. so im putting it back on and two screws wont go on. then i noticed that the screws must have ripped the threads out of the engine block. so two of the screws wont tighten because they dont have anything to grip onto. it might be able to work if there are screws that are the same but a little bit longer, are there any that redcat sells?? and is there anyway to re-thread the block? or should i just put another engine on?
Old 09-13-2008, 09:26 PM
shadow21
My Feedback: (4)

Im not exactly sure if there is an easy fix for this issue. You COULD try sealing it with some copper seal. Its like 5 bucks per can at the auto store. Im not sure if thats even something that you would do with a nitro motor. Good luck man!
Old 09-14-2008, 03:19 AM
chevyderek72

thanks ill look into it, what exactly is copper seal, and i just though of it, i could just use the baking powder trick, put baking powder in it, then a couple drops of super glue and it may work. now its actually only 1 screw that doesnt hold, but it still runs like a champ, not sure if its still leakin though
Old 09-14-2008, 09:59 AM
shadow21

Copper seal is some good stuff man. I use it to seal all of the head gaskets in my cars when i replace them. It covers any imperfections up to a certain degree in the block or head when you put a new gasket on. Its also used to seal exhaust gaskets. It only dries when it heats up. I wouldnt use baking powder and super glue. You have to think about metal expanding when it heats up.
Old 09-14-2008, 01:27 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

Not to step on anyones toes, but I use copper seal for head gaskets and stuff also, I agree it's great stuff, but as a thread maker I would have to disagree. The only way to realy fix threads is to either drill the hole larger and tap it or use heli coils. The engine may be small but it's still going to have a enough pressure to pull the screws out of the holes if your using gasket sealer for a re-threader. You could consider a new or used block in good condition it would still be cheaper than buying a new engine. Ya might also try JB weld, but I would be incline to think it would seal the screws in place for ever, lol.
Old 09-14-2008, 01:43 PM
shadow21

ORIGINAL: AllAboutFunHobbies

Not to step on anyones toes, but I use copper seal for head gaskets and stuff also, I agree it's great stuff, but as a thread maker I would have to disagree. The only way to realy fix threads is to either drill the hole larger and tap it or use heli coils. The engine may be small but it's still going to have a enough pressure to pull the screws out of the holes if your using gasket sealer for a re-threader. You could consider a new or used block in good condition it would still be cheaper than buying a new engine. Ya might also try JB weld, but I would be incline to think it would seal the screws in place for ever, lol.
NOO! I didnt mean to seal the threads with the copper seal. That would never work. I meant for him to seal the head on the block with copper seal. As for threads you could TRY a helicoil but i HIGHLY doubt they make them that small. Maybe you could use a clutch spring. Cut it and stick it in the hole so it will catch the stripped threads when you tighten it. Im not sure man. I work on real cars. This is a totally different world. i wish you the best of luck though.
Old 09-14-2008, 02:02 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

OH, LMAO, I thought you were meaning to use it to repair the threads, LOL. The clutch spring idea might work for a heli coil, I would gather to think ya might have to drill the hole out, just a tiny bit and rethread it to make up the difference in width.
Old 09-14-2008, 05:18 PM
chevyderek72

Nick is actually just gonna get me a block, so thats nice. its funny though cause it still runs great with it missing one screw. and it never even gets real hot.
Old 09-15-2008, 01:57 AM
chevyderek72

so i ended up putting a head screw in from one of my other engines, and it totally fit and tightened up, its weird because it was stripped, maybe it worked because the screw had more thread on it
Old 09-15-2008, 07:07 AM
AllAboutFunHobbies

was the screw a tiny bit thicker maybe? I would think it had to be the same thread pattern, but a tiny bit thicker or maybe a little longer bolt. otherwise it would do the same thing as the old bolt and if the thread pattern was different it would be hard screw in since it would have to cut new threads through the old threads, which would more than likely cause another stripping situation, but at any rate at least you found something to bolt it down with.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:53 AM
r\c justin

I have replace 2 of my motors on my volcanos it was cheaper to send the old vx 18 back and get the sh 18. which are way better than the vx 18. but had to replace 3 carbs on the sh.18, and allaboutfun whats ur return policies..
Old 09-15-2008, 05:29 PM
chevyderek72

whats wrong with the motors?
Old 09-15-2008, 05:34 PM
Redcat Nick

Hey did you run the other 2 motors?
Old 09-15-2008, 05:39 PM
chevyderek72

no not yet, im waiting on something to use them on.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:42 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

If it's not open and it's not used, you can return it. If it's opened and it's used, no returns, unless it's defective, in which case it's up to us to determine whether it was abuse or a defect.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:32 AM
r\c justin

i use both motors now on my volcanos but had to buy 3 carbs and i need to buy another one but it would be cheaper sending the motor back to redcat and getting a new motor with new carb..
Old 09-18-2008, 08:32 AM
AllAboutFunHobbies

Hey, man. That sticking that you were complaining about. I think I know what it is, because I had it happen to me on a volcano SV S30 that I had sold to a guy. If you turn the idle screw in just a tad too much it will make the slide arm stick and act like there is something wrong with the carb. Other than that, we've never had one go bad or be bad, like the problem your having. I'm wondering if your idle screw is in just a tad too much. Check it out, loosen up the idle screw just a tiny bit and see if it works.
Old 09-18-2008, 03:13 PM
chevyderek72

my carb on my new tornado actually was sticking. when i would let off the throttle it would stick a little too open so it would idle really high and wanna move, so i would have to tap the brakes to pull it past that part for it to idle. so i pulled the carb off, pulled the neddles out, and sprayed it down real good with brake cleaner. it stopped sticking so far, i havent ran it yet but it helped to remove the "stick". if thats what your talking about try that maybe?
Old 09-19-2008, 07:15 AM
r\c justin

yea i cleaned one of my carbs up but totally messed up the inside so i have to have my lsn 2 turns from bottom in and the hsn 1 and half turns for it even gets power.. and the idle screw fell out so it wasn't to tight i bash this thing pretty hard 800 to 900 in this volcano wish i had cam for some of the bashing i do i prettty much will jump this thing off a top of a house to see what kind of air i can get hahahahah
Old 09-19-2008, 07:49 AM
AllAboutFunHobbies

Oh bro, you have to get someone with a video camera to record it. that's a gotta see, lol.
Old 09-21-2008, 02:13 PM
r\c justin

i really thinking about getting a 1/5 scale wanting to see that new redcat rally!!