Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Pull start problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 12:11 PM
hayden14
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pull start problem

So the pull start on my bb just broke, i mean the string broke, if i were to buy a the rotostart backplate could i use a drill to start it? if so do i need a special drill bit and what backplate do i buy if i can use my own drill?
Old 10-12-2008, 12:22 PM
hayden14
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Pull start problem

nevermind i figured a pull start would be better so i dont have to carry a drill around all the time, sorry
Old 10-15-2008, 03:42 PM
tylervalentine

i prefer the pullstart myself for that exact same reason. but you can also start it by removing the pullstart and find a socket that fits onto the one-way bearing and using a drill you just have to take the bearing and socket off before you run it or you will lose them. (more of a on-road fix due to off-road dirt getting in and screwing up your engine).
Old 10-27-2008, 09:37 PM
rotclarry951

Well if you're string broke, just take it apart and tie it back in and then re coil the spring back in which is a pain in you know where. Oh yeah when taking it apart watch out for the killer spring of death!!!!!! meaning the spring pops out sometimes, it scared me the first time I opened the pullstart.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:32 PM
scrambles12

ORIGINAL: rotclarry951

Well if you're string broke, just take it apart and tie it back in and then re coil the spring back in which is a pain in you know where. Oh yeah when taking it apart watch out for the killer spring of death!!!!!! meaning the spring pops out sometimes, it scared me the first time I opened the pullstart.
i freaking hate the stupid spring it is the hardest thing to fix EVER. ya and a pull start isnt that hard to start either like 1-2 pulls 4 me,when i pulled my string out and i had to take off the thing and the spring just kept shooting out it was horrible
Old 10-28-2008, 05:43 PM
jpilkinton

ORIGINAL: scrambles12

i freaking hate the stupid spring it is the hardest thing to fix EVER. ya and a pull start isnt that hard to start either like 1-2 pulls 4 me,when i pulled my string out and i had to take off the thing and the spring just kept shooting out it was horrible
You got that right! I am starting to dis-like pull starts and those freak'n oneway bearings. Nut'n but trouble. I prefer the bump start method. Quick and easy.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:08 PM
firebird78

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i prefer the pullstart myself for that exact same reason. but you can also start it by removing the pullstart and find a socket that fits onto the one-way bearing and using a drill you just have to take the bearing and socket off before you run it or you will lose them. (more of a on-road fix due to off-road dirt getting in and screwing up your engine).

this I do not suggest...by doing this you will have a massive air leak and your engine will run at hotter temps...plus the dirt issue..you will still get dirt in your engine

! I am starting to dis-like pull starts and those freak'n oneway bearings. Nut'n but trouble. I prefer the bump start method. Quick and easy.
ine.

I'm with you on this..I like the bump start once you get the box set up....however most if not all redcats arent set up for bump start use...you would have to mod them to be able to use one.....I do have roto starts on some of mine that are the same as redcats...I use the wand from a roto start starter and put it in my cheap wally world drill...starts my big blocks as well as my small blocks
Old 10-28-2008, 06:24 PM
jpilkinton

ORIGINAL: firebird78
I'm with you on this..I like the bump start once you get the box set up....however most if not all redcats arent set up for bump start use...you would have to mod them to be able to use one.....I do have roto starts on some of mine that are the same as redcats...I use the wand from a roto start starter and put it in my cheap wally world drill...starts my big blocks as well as my small blocks

Yeah, I was thinking about buying a mini bump start box for my 1/16 nitros to see what and where I will need to cut the chassis for the wheel. The other rc's I modded, I just use an airplane starter with that huge freak'n donut(that flies off every time) to start them. I am yank'n the start shaft out of the backplate on these infinity .5cc engines and plug'n the hole to keep out the dirt and such. I do have some drill start backplates for these .5cc engines, but my rotostart doesn't seem to turn the engine fast enough for them to fire. The gear ratio on these drill start backplates are outrageous.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:27 PM
firebird78

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah I guess I'm just lucky...alot of people have had trouble using their cordless drill. I've had zero trouble...some of them had much more expensive drills then me...like I said I bought mine from wally world...I think $65 for the 18v drill, 2 batteries, charger and a case...
Old 10-28-2008, 08:14 PM
scrambles12

ya but still pull starts are really easy to start though and the only time ive had to take off my starter is cuz i ripped the strting right out. rookie mistake though.like yesterday i was jumping my car like 20 feet and it died in mid air just poped in the glow plug and one pull son YEAH!!!!
Old 11-03-2008, 04:46 PM
tsan

Hi all. It's been 20 years since I raced stuff like electric off roads and 12/th scale onroads, (not to mention I'm only 2 days into the nitro experience)
I'm actually in the process of trying to replace my Tsunami's pull start (string broke on 2nd pull :S), and I'm having a bit of a hard time reaching the forth screw that holds on the assembly. (looking from the back it's the lower-left screw I can't reach)

Is it possible to remove the pull start only, or have I got to remove other stuff before I can properly get access to the assembly?

Thanks!

Tim
Old 11-03-2008, 08:30 PM
chevyderek72

i think you have to pull out the engine to get the pull start off. its easier anyways, and that way you can get used to your car and know it better
Old 11-03-2008, 08:50 PM
ssrc30

Looks like I am not alone in this matter. I went to run my Tornado S-30, today, for only the second time and the damn thing wont budge. Its like its jammed up or something.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:11 AM
scrambles12

like it wont start or when u pull the throttle it dies wat?
Old 11-04-2008, 04:38 PM
tsan

When I put the engine back in, is there anything I need to re-adjust again? (like any gears, clutch etc.) I don't want to blow it to pieces the first time I start it up after putting it back together. :P

-Tim
Old 11-05-2008, 07:30 PM
chevyderek72

no just throw it in and your good
Old 11-06-2008, 10:29 AM
scrambles12

exciting
Old 01-02-2009, 11:58 AM
n315on

does anyone know a fix to a slipping one way bearing. And yes I know your are supposed to clean it in this and that and I've tried that but it only works fro a few pulls then starts slipping again.