Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

backdraft 3.5

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 12:48 PM
pistolpete01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default backdraft 3.5

has anyone bought the redcat backdraft 3.5? i've seen the video on youtube with the review out of the box, but was wondering how good of a buggy it is. just want to race it in our backyard but i have had the volcano and the tornado and both were pretty decent for the price but i wanted something more durable. just don't want to drop $400+ on a kit or high end buggy. the backdraft looks pretty good but need some input before i buy it.
Old 06-28-2009, 05:14 AM
AliRedCatRacing

Default RE: backdraft 3.5

Hi

This is Ali

I am the one who posted the vidoe. n i tested this buggy from the very beginning prototype stage recommending many changes and kept on testing till the final version *(The Beast) is in our hands now.

Looks awesome n performs so good. I find it to be real durable and had no troubles breaking in the engine, starting for the very first time and tuning it in. Frankly speaking, as an RC Hobbyist, not as RedCat Employee, I'd personally buy it if I was just a customer.

if you have any questions, drop me a line. I am going to post more videos of Backdraft 3.5 as soon as raining stops ;D

Cheers

Ali

[email protected]
Old 06-29-2009, 01:49 AM
nubzorz

hey ali your finaly on here what took you so long i enjoy your youtube videos alot and from what ive seen on your channel the backdraft is most certainly a beast and well worth the $
Old 06-29-2009, 09:32 AM
AliRedCatRacing

Hey man

Thanks for the post yes it certainly is beast. today we bashed BackDraft 3.5 n EarthQuake 3.5 and guess what, even on sandy stony terrain these two performed awesome we had some real high jumps. Videos n Pictorial slide shows will be up soon

Cheers mate

Ali
Old 06-29-2009, 04:14 PM
LuD

Awesome! I can't wait to see the videos Ali! My girl and I were hoping that you would have a safe trip, and we appreciate everything you've done for Redcat and the R/C community. Made things much easier and fun!

Can't wait!
Old 06-29-2009, 09:10 PM
AliRedCatRacing

Thanks a lot mate. Appreciate your kind post I am doing my job with dedication to this hobby and RedCat I am soon going to post the videos and slideshows. Will take about a week as I am waiting for some Royalty free music that RedCat just purchased for our videos and guess what they are sending me Radar gun too so I can post the exact speeds of these Beasts from now on.

Cheers
Old 06-29-2009, 09:15 PM
LuD

Rock on Bro! Maybe get them to send you a digital SLR, and a 1080p camcorder as well so you can do some HD videos too!

I'm really stuck between purchasing a Backdraft 3.5, Hurricane XTR, XTM XST or RC10GT2... Ugh, choices choices choices!

Old 06-29-2009, 09:45 PM
AliRedCatRacing

Hey mate

I have already got a Nikon D40. Pics are awesome we took some high jumps pics yesterday on both cars, n they are like flying in pics.

Yup for HD camcorder we will work on it

For redcats , I'd say go for Hurrican XTR, thats more powerful than BackDraft ;D Thats a pro model my man with 28 engine. plus you will have all the support from me also if you pick it up from Hobby-estore i can give you a 5% discount coupon code email me at [email protected]

Cheers

Old 06-29-2009, 10:07 PM
firebird78

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ali... I would bet the hurricane xtr is the best rc redcat offers...beings you are testing rc's for redcat and will most likely be running them all I would like your opinion on my theory...I think the monsoon xtr will be pretty durable also but I just dont see it toping the hurricane xtr
Old 06-30-2009, 09:29 AM
AliRedCatRacing

Remember my man, Monsoon is a truggy. Hurricane's a buggy. Of course Hurricane will offer better speeds, but I don't think it will beat Monsoon on terrains where truggies would traverse easily.

rest choice is all the customers. If they are running on buggy off road tracks, hurricane is the best choices. for personal off road bashing n Truggy races, Monsoon comes in

Cheers
Old 06-30-2009, 11:59 AM
jigawatt

just imagine if the XTR's were also available in a brushless trim... [sm=spinnyeyes.gif] I'd have a couple of em for sure
Old 06-30-2009, 03:44 PM
LuD

Soon enough. We're both waiting for the brushless 1:8 buggy! I think it's the only brushless I'll own...

Old 06-30-2009, 04:00 PM
jigawatt

the brushless buggy that's coming out isn't on the XTR platform.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:12 PM
firebird78

ORIGINAL: AliRedCatRacing

Remember my man, Monsoon is a truggy. Hurricane's a buggy. Of course Hurricane will offer better speeds, but I don't think it will beat Monsoon on terrains where truggies would traverse easily.

rest choice is all the customers. If they are running on buggy off road tracks, hurricane is the best choices. for personal off road bashing n Truggy races, Monsoon comes in

Cheers

I have both the buggy and the truggy....I have no doubt my truggy is a tuff truck (havent ran it but one tank at idle due to work and weather)....and I know my buggy will be faster , just my theory that the buggy will be a bit more durable due to shorter arms....regardless of which someone buys I believe they are getting major bang for their buck...

just for curiosity...does the redcat's xtr's come stock with fuel filters and hex head hardware throughout?
Old 06-30-2009, 06:13 PM
LuD

I just bought the XTR a few minutes ago... OMG, I can't wait to get it. Plenty of pics and videos to come! I don't believe it has a filter, and as far as hex hardware go, I haven't seen any underside pics of the buggy.

Guess I'll find out in a few days!
Old 06-30-2009, 06:22 PM
firebird78

congrats on the new buggy...like I said in another thread, I;ve had my rxb for around a yr and have had ZERO troubles with it... only parts I've replaced are upgrading or stripped gears (gears were my fault for landing on the throttle, but I couldnt see the buggy landing)...
Old 06-30-2009, 07:58 PM
AliRedCatRacing

Hey man

I believe it doesn't come with fuel filter. thats a little piece that you can buy off RedCat racing website or your Local hobby store. not very expensive but recommended. For your question of hex hardware, did you mean using hex head screws?

check [link=http://www.redcatracing.com/RC-Cars/1-8-Scale-Nitro-Professional-Series/Hurricane-XTR]Hurricane page[/link]to see XTR pics on RedCat website.

Cheers

Old 06-30-2009, 09:25 PM
firebird78

yeah...hex head screws throughout the buggy...I havent found a single phillips (star or whatever you want to call them) screw on my buggy...which was a good selling point for me due to I cant stand phillips screws
Old 07-13-2011, 04:16 PM
phili7797

Nice, getting my backdraft tomorrow!!!
Old 08-10-2011, 05:37 PM
Prophet_one

Hello all,

I'm interesting in getting 2 of these nitro cars for my nephews. The last time I messed with a nitro powered car was 8 years ago when I had an HPI RS4 with an OS 15CV engine. Could you guys list some tips and hints with setting the car and engines up..i.e 20% nitro, what plugs work (maybe OS #8..don't know). Please help a once again newbie. thx.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:23 PM
jeffie8696

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For backyard bashing I like 15% nitro 20% lube fuel, I personally use SIG Champion.
For plugs I am using Merlin exclusively, his 2001 works super and the owner Aldon Kelly is a great guy.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:47 PM
Prophet_one

ORIGINAL: jeffie8696

For backyard bashing I like 15% nitro 20% lube fuel, I personally use SIG Champion.
For plugs I am using Merlin exclusively, his 2001 works super and the owner Aldon Kelly is a great guy.
Good info Jeffie... Any other plugs options just in case? Just street bashing? Thanks again
Old 08-10-2011, 11:27 PM
jeffie8696

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glow plugs are kinda like shoes, there are no one size fits all plugs. It all depends on so many variables, but it makes it interesting.
If Ihad another plug Iwanted to try it would probably be the OS LC4, Idont have any first hand experience with that particular plug but I do know OS makes a good plug and Ithink the LC4 would be about the right heat range. If it proved to be too cold for your application the LC3 would probably work fine.
Since my Volcano is broke in now Iwill probably be switching to a little hotter plug to keep the idle and transition clean, the Merlin 2002HD works well in my airplanes so Iwill give it a shot.
Old 08-11-2011, 01:51 AM
Prophet_one

Cool...I'll give the Merlins a try since they are proven and same price as the OS plugs.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:00 PM
ehroof

the os a3 is a good plug for .18 and .16 engines. Rule of thumb is you run a hotter plug in a .18 and smaller and a med/cold in a .21 and higher.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.