Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

"Jumping" 1/10 Trucks and Buggies???

Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

"Jumping" 1/10 Trucks and Buggies???

Old 11-12-2009, 11:57 PM
Mickstix

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Jumping" 1/10 Trucks and Buggies???

Hey again!!I've been watching some utube vids and watch how they jump their truggies/buggies/ect.. and they fly really nice, sometimes looking like an airplane (how they lower and raise the nose of the car as it flies through the air.) But it seems like all the vids I see, they're using 1/8 scale vehicles.. (ie: bigger)So, I was wondering if the 1/10 scale buggies and truggies can jump the same way?? They just seem so small, it's hard to believe they could actually "fly" like some of the 1/8 scale buggies I've seen??Im thinkin about building a ramp of some kind and find out for myself, but Im affraid of tearing the thing up.. lol.. So, I just wanted to know if these little 1/10 scale cars can get air like the bigger cars (And still live/run to tell about it) Thanks for your help!!
Old 11-13-2009, 02:52 AM
chevyderek72

Default RE:

Ya there were some guys back in the day that threw 8 t maxx shocks on and were gettin big air. Im not sure if they will fly just like the 1/8ths, but they can catch some air. Just need some good shocks to soak up the landing.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:36 PM
Mickstix

Default RE:

Derek, do you know if the Volcano and Tornado use the same shocks? Or better yet, if the T-Maxx shocks will fit on a Tornado 1/10 buggy?? I have the aluminum shocks on my Tornado S30, but I just noticed that the oil is all gone again.. I had just replaced the shock oil not 10 tanks of fuel ago.. Today I was runnin it and noticed it kept doing front flips ever time it hit a bump, so I checked it and the shocks all feel empty. (they can easily bottom out when I flex the suspension by hand) But there's no grease or oil buildup (that I can see) on the shock shafts or suspension arms?? So I dont know where it's going, but it's going somewhere.. Im gonna rebuild them again tonight and see if I can find any leaks.. These aluminum bodied shocks had screw on caps on both the top and bottom of the shock. (not really sure why) but anyway, I may try a little teflon tape on the threads when I put em back together this time and see how they do.. If they run dry again, in short order, Im gonna look into getting some upgraded shocks/springs..  Thanks for any info ya got on em'!!
Old 11-18-2009, 10:26 PM
firebird78

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE:

will the 1/10ths fly like the 1/8ths?....sure....will they be as durable as the 1/8ths?...sorry not the case....I talk to 2 of the guys that Derek might be talking about on usually a daily basis... granted they did do some crazy jumps with 1/10th trucks (older 1/10ths like the volcano sv) they also replaced bunches of parts in the process...granted t-maxx shocks helped, but they still werent as durable as a 1/8th...

1/10ths have their limitations that are lower then a 1/8th...as long as you run within their limits you should be ok...but just like everything else, you go past the limits your going to have problems...hope this helps
Old 11-18-2009, 11:24 PM
Mickstix

Default RE: RE:

Thanks Firebird!! Yea, I dont plan on any extremejumpin.. Justwondering if they'll jump "level" and survive w/o barrel rolling or cartwheeling on the landing, "similar" to how the 1/8's do.. (And also be able toadjust their attitude with throttle/brake, while there airborn??) But just doing standard singles and doubles and stuff like you'd findonyour basicoffroad rc track.. (something which I dont have access to around here..)

Oh, any idea on the T-maxx shocks fitting the Tornado?? And also what's a decent "setup" forhandlingjumps?(ie:stiffer in therear, stiffer in thefront, ect.??)Thanks again!

Old 11-18-2009, 11:45 PM
firebird78

I've never owned a tornado so I cant help you much with setup....and I doubt the t-maxx shocks will fit...usually as far as shock fluid goes I run the same wt in both front and rear (what wt to run I dont know, I would start off with maybe 40 wt)...one thing I do with my 1/8ths is put a bit more pre-load in the front then in the rear...seems to help my buggies fly more level....

as far as controling the rc in the air...give it gas and the nose will raise, hit the breaks and the nose will fall...

also the way you hit the jump has alot to do with how the rc will react off the jump...along with the pitch of the jump itself....
Old 11-18-2009, 11:51 PM
Mickstix

Cool!! Thanks for the tips bud!! I really want to jump this thing..Guess Im gonna have to build my own or take a shovel out and "adjust" one of the bunkers on the golfcourse where I've been bashin'.. eehheheee..
Old 11-20-2009, 09:58 PM
lvh

here is something that might help a little i have a customer that put traxxas pro line dirt hogs rustler rear wheels and tires with foam all the way around on his tornado, set it in the air a little (more ground clearence) and the foam for softer landing he also stiffened up the springs on the shocks here are some pics.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73735.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	1317759   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk32007.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	1317760  
Old 11-21-2009, 12:18 PM
chevyderek72

Default RE:

The t maxx shocks fit with mods, but to tell you the truth im not a fan of them. I put four on my electric vortex, and im just not impressed. Maybe if you used 8 and still only used 4 springs it might be better at dampening. I would go with the redcat big bores from the landslide, i love them. And a whole lot better than stock, night and day difference.
Old 11-21-2009, 01:42 PM
firebird78

ORIGINAL: lvh

here is something that might help a little i have a customer that put traxxas pro line dirt hogs rustler rear wheels and tires with foam all the way around on his tornado, set it in the air a little (more ground clearence) and the foam for softer landing he also stiffened up the springs on the shocks here are some pics.

as long as he just wants to jump that may help...not only will adding them wheels and tires mess with the performance, it will also make it roll alot easier on sharp turns...but yeah it may help with jumping
Old 11-25-2009, 02:42 AM
Mickstix

Default RE:

Aw, that's a bummer the bigger wheels/tires will make it roll.. It looks pretty sweet with those big buggers on there!! Hey LVH, any chance you could find out what body he has on there?? Just wondering if he was lucky enough to find a "clear" redcat body, or if he found another brand that fit!! Thanks alot!! And thanks again for the shock info! I've got the aluminum shocks that came with the tornado.. Do they (Redcat) make some that are better than these?? I wish they had a sping kit available.. I cant get the suspension stiff enough for my liking.. I put  70 weight oil in the shocks and they feel real nice for about one days worth of grinding, then there back to being spongy.. And I have the collars screwed down pretty far already..  
Old 11-25-2009, 12:34 PM
Brett185
My Feedback: (2)

Half the fun of haveing these r/cs is jumping and breaking them. Then fixing them and doing it all over again. Yes these cars have limits, but screw them, push your car as far as you can, then push it some more. If your afraid of breaking your car, then your in the wrong hobby. Besides, the more you break it, and the more you fix it, the more you learn about it. So, jump it, race it, crash it, you'll be surprised at how much these little cars can take and when you break it, fix it and do it again.
Old 11-26-2009, 01:28 PM
chevyderek72

Default RE:

I'd go with the landslide shocks. They work great and bolt right up. And you only need 4 of them.
Old 11-26-2009, 02:39 PM
1320Fastback

Default RE:

Sure you can jump a 1/10, my Rusty will do some of the bigger jumps that the 1/8th guys do. I just have to be sure that the approach is perfect and make sure the landing attitude is good. Jumping a 1/8 is going to be easier as it is bigger.
Old 11-26-2009, 03:07 PM
firebird78

well there is a lil bit of difference between your rusty and a tornado...I was refering to the tornado....I wouldnt attempt half the jumps with a tornado or a volcano that I put my 1/8th buggies through, even my older buggies
Old 11-26-2009, 11:59 PM
Mickstix

Default RE:

Yea, Im finding out these 1/10 scale cars are just limited in what they can do.. Even running surfaces area limited.. Unless I've just cut the grass, my Tornado struggles to get across it.. Im gonna start saving for a 1/8 scale buggy, or a Revo or T-Maxx.. They look like they could handle some bigger stuff.. Any opinions on the traxxas stuff??
Old 11-27-2009, 06:00 PM
firebird78

Default RE:

I own a revo...I hate the dang thing....pain in the neck to work on (if you can fix a revo you can fix any rc truck), and its nowere near as durable as my rxb (it even has a buncha rdlogic parts).....like I said, I own one...so all the traxxas fans dont try bother telling me what I already know...lol
Old 11-28-2009, 02:38 PM
chevyderek72

Default RE:

Ya the tornado is low to the ground so the grass holds it back, even my volcano does it a little bit but not as bad as the buggy. But my hurricane just powers right through it. And the earthquake (old one) doesnt get near the grass haha.