Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Brushless Rockslide??????

Old 12-08-2009, 07:21 PM
devious1
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brushless Rockslide??????

Would the super crawler handle a brushless setup???
Not so much for crawling though..

What mods would be needed to handle a brushless setup
I am looking at going with a twin vxl setup for starters...
otherwise i was looking at going with twin 700 ho's or something of the sort
If i could get them to fit...

Please help my quest for something Different...
Old 12-11-2009, 02:26 AM
devious1

Default RE: Brushless Rockslide??????

Ok no one is inquisitive
Old 12-13-2009, 10:21 AM
JCAHOBBIES

Devious - I'm assuming you're talking about the 1/8 scale Super Crawler.  Looking at the gearboxes on that truck I have no doubt that they can handle additional power but I'm not sure i'd go brushless. The major issue you will have is running two brushless motors. I'm not sure anyone makes an ESC that has that ability yet. The other option is  running two separate brushless setup. One for each axle. It could be done but that gets kind of expensive an getting them to work in sync would be difficult. 

I think a Better option would be a pair of 540 or 550 brushed motors. The stock motors on your truck are 100 turn so they make an incredible amount of torque but turn at a low rpm. You would see a noticable gain in speed by going up to a 35 or even 45 turn crawler motor. If you choose to do this keep an eye on the ESC temps. You don't want to over heat the ESC

The 700 motors are physically too large to fit this truck as the screw holes are in different places and will not bolt up. The 650 motors will bolt up but they are designed to work at a higher voltage. 
Old 12-13-2009, 12:40 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

Ok, I give, why would you want to do that?
Old 12-13-2009, 12:49 PM
devious1

Jcahobbies yeah i was thinking of 2 brushless set ups. the other option there is which i havent seen in person yet is if the traxxas 775's would fit...
but as i dont have a dealer around here i dont have a way to see anything in person
would 2 esc's fit along with 2 8.4v batts
1) 2 esc if i do brushless veli's and i believe they would handle a 8.4 v batt
1 batt per setup

2) would be an evx 2 with dual 775(if they would fit) 650's or 550's
either way i would need to know if there is a way to mound 2 stick packs preffer 8.4v though

that would be my first quest...
then gearing.
I dont want to pull the trigger on one and find out nothing is going to work the way i want it
just curious

thanks again jca hobbies
Old 12-13-2009, 02:41 PM
devious1

ORIGINAL: AllAboutFunHobbies

Ok, I give, why would you want to do that?

Basically for something crazy and different

no specific reason, plus it would give me something to do over the winter time while my zx12 is in storage...
along with the fact im bored with my xl's right now...
Old 12-13-2009, 05:58 PM
JCAHOBBIES

Devious - Like the 700's the Traxxas 775 will not bolt up due to the motor screw holes being in a different place. If you really want to do this then a very good option would be to get yourself  a motor and ESC setup out of a Savage or E-Maxx. These setup come complete with a a pair of motors and the correct ESC to handle them and you can normally find them for under $100

Keep in mind that these motors are designed to run at a higher voltage and running them on 7.2 or 8.4V will make them slow. 

A better option than running 2 separate batteries would be to invest in a 4S Lipo and aa low voltage alarm. This will provide the necessary power to make the motors spin at the correct RPM.

Those setup's have no problems pushing Savages and E-Maxx's up to about 25 mph so they will have more than enough power for the crawler. 

I've used that same setup on other vehicles so i'm pretty familiar with it if you have any more questions. 
Old 12-13-2009, 07:34 PM
devious1

Jcahobbies i appreciate it, I will definitely keep that in mind as i do some more research on things... If things go well i will start the new project after new years
I am going to attempt to see one in person first so i know more of what i am looking at...
Old 12-27-2009, 11:34 AM
Squidbait

OK, you could do it, but the question is why you would do it.

You'll need two sensored brushless motors and ESC's. Two reasons - one: you can't reliably run two BL motors off one ESC, and two: you can't get reliable, consistent speed out of sensorless BL motors at low speeds. So you're looking at big $$$ to do something that in reality isn't going to give you that big a gain in performance.

Try playing with different turns in brushed motors, since you can get about 5 or 6 good brushed motors for what it's going to cost you to do a proper brushless conversion.
Old 12-27-2009, 05:57 PM
devious1

Thats why i was going to try out a couple holmes hobbies motors to start with and see how they perform,
If they didnt do what i was looking for then i was going to switch to brushless, but i have yet to find anyone around here that has a 8th scale Rockslide I can look at...
Link to the motors...[link=http://holmeshobbies.com/product.php?productid=132&cat=17&page=1]Holmes hobbies cobalt 7t[/link]