Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

SUMO RC Who has one?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 08:03 AM
formula87

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SUMO RC Who has one?

Was thinking of getting these for my 5 & 3 yr old to kinda grow with since you can upgrade them. Anyone have one yet?? How do they do on dirt or grass? Again I am not looking for speed just some fun for my kids. Is the controller standard size or smaller?? Want them for my little dirt track so my kids can play on it with them. see...pic
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16904.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	247.9 KB
ID:	1406238  
Old 03-28-2010, 12:50 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

Default RE: SUMO RC Who has one?

Dirt, carpet, street and non-carpet floors. They are pretty fast with the proper batteries.
Old 03-28-2010, 02:44 PM
formula87

ORIGINAL: AllAboutFunHobbies

Dirt, carpet, street and non-carpet floors. They are pretty fast with the proper batteries.
What would be the proper batteries? 2500mah AAs???
Old 03-29-2010, 12:47 PM
formula87

Anyone else??????
Old 03-29-2010, 05:00 PM
TCA999
My Feedback: (32)

I bought one(suppose to be the Truggy but ended up receiving the Truck) but overall they are pretty fun. They move maybe 12-15mph and do well on most surfaces. I've never tired it on grass. I do have the upgraded motor in it but that's the only upgrade I've done to it. Batteries are a big expense for the Sumo unless you grab rechargeables. I did buy some lithium AA's for it but seem to do just as good as the Duracell rechargeables. I've smashed it into walls, corners, cats...hehe and jumped it off the coffee table with nothing broken. Pretty durable little cars. With shipping I paid about $74 USD. The controller is standard size. Just like the 1/10 scale controllers. If you have around $60 - $70 to spend, why not. And for a 3-7yr old it would be a blast. Hope this helps.

Also, you will get full power from your AA's for about 10 minutes then it gradually drops. Then again, if I run it for about 20 minutes, shut it off and let the motor and batteries cool for awhile, turn it back on and it's almost full power again for about 5-7 minutes.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:22 PM
Mickstix

Wonder if anyone has tried a small lipo battery in one?? I think they make AA size lipo's, forMicro rc's andreceivers??
Old 03-30-2010, 06:49 AM
formula87

Bought one last night, Thanks Kurt(URSHOBBY) and bought the rechargeable batteries 2500 mah off of Ebay. Gonna have it out for the easter egg hunt for my kids sun morning..................
Old 03-30-2010, 09:35 PM
Mickstix

Cool! Im gonna be hittin Kurt up for one here in a couple weeks! Let us know how ya like it! Oh, did ya get the truck/truggy/buggy/or baja?
Old 04-04-2010, 07:06 PM
formula87

ORIGINAL: Mickstix

Cool! Im gonna be hittin Kurt up for one here in a couple weeks! Let us know how ya like it! Oh, did ya get the truck/truggy/buggy/or baja?
Got the truggy they are all the same except the bodies....... just like the real thing only really..........really......really......... really......... really......... reallytiny. front and rear diffs look like baby duplicates of my Earthquake. Pretty fun on grass or dirt came w/ two more pinon gears for the motor don't know wich one is on there now, Kids love it not very fast for adults though if you are used to an 8e series not much is going to excite you but pretty fun.....
Old 04-04-2010, 10:27 PM
Mickstix

Thanks for the info! Im hopin to just chase the cat around the house with it.. We both need some exercise!
Old 04-16-2010, 04:00 PM
TCA999
My Feedback: (32)

I picked up some 2650MAH batteries from Best Buy and they do make a big difference. I'm using the smallest pinion provided to get the most torque and it is great. I put the 10T in and it gives a higher top end speed. Now, the 12T doesn't work. I put it in and it's almost as if the gears are meshed way too tight but I can't figure out how to make that 12T work. Hmm....any ideas?

Using the 12T provided, nothing turns. I can hear the motor but wheels will no move.
Old 04-16-2010, 05:55 PM
formula87

ORIGINAL: TCA999

I picked up some 2650MAH batteries from Best Buy and they do make a big difference. I'm using the smallest pinion provided to get the most torque and it is great. I put the 10T in and it gives a higher top end speed. Now, the 12T doesn't work. I put it in and it's almost as if the gears are meshed way too tight but I can't figure out how to make that 12T work. Hmm....any ideas?

Using the 12T provided, nothing turns. I can hear the motor but wheels will no move.

What tooth gear comes in it stock? I saw the others the 10 you put in and get higher speed so the stock gear must be a 15t ?
Old 07-13-2010, 02:45 PM
Arjunks

not excactly great for a 5 and 3 year old
they go 15-20mph with normal batteries
and 20-25mph with rechargable batteries
which is pretty fast and they wont really be able to handle it
Old 11-07-2010, 12:19 AM
mtroxel

I've got the truck, with bearings (a must for any car or truck) the 180 motor and a custom 4.8v 1500mah pack and it HAULS! If you run through dirt alot, clean out the diffs or seal them. Oh and im using the largest pinion gear and it romps just fine.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:42 AM
formula87

ORIGINAL: mtroxel

I've got the truck, with bearings (a must for any car or truck) the 180 motor and a custom 4.8v 1500mah pack and it HAULS! If you run through dirt alot, clean out the diffs or seal them. Oh and im using the largest pinion gear and it romps just fine.
What did you do to upgrade the batt?
Old 11-07-2010, 09:11 PM
mtroxel

Cut a 4 cell in half and bent up tabs
http://postimage.org/image/hvcpvkzo/

Then perfomed surgury to the battery compartments, cutting out the middle plastic divider and removing the rear metal tabs
http://postimage.org/image/hwi2b9c4/
http://postimage.org/image/hwn0xatg/
Then I soldered a female hitech battery lead to the main board on the underside, tight fit but it went smoothly
http://postimage.org/image/hx1wrf9g/

Old 11-23-2010, 05:37 PM
Arjunks

so  does anyone else have one?