Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Shockwave and Tornado

Old 08-08-2010, 02:50 PM
rtn33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shockwave and Tornado

Trying to get into buggies and since these are a bargain, im thinking of getting them both for my son and I. Could someone please fill me in on the pros and cons of these vehicles? I've done some research but i'd like to get some actual opinions before I buy. Thanx in advance!!
Old 08-08-2010, 05:20 PM
RCToysNh

Default RE: Shockwave and Tornado

ORIGINAL: rtn33

Trying to get into buggies and since these are a bargain, im thinking of getting them both for my son and I. Could someone please fill me in on the pros and cons of these vehicles? I've done some research but i'd like to get some actual opinions before I buy. Thanx in advance!!
Both will get the job done.

The Tornado S30 biggest plus is better suspension, bigger/better motor, tuned pipe / exhaust, and 2 speed trans.
Both are the same foot print.
The Shockwave uses the Vertex 16 motor. They run well for the short money. We have one here in the shop that has been running as demo for 2 years now. Top speed is higher on the S30.
Old 08-09-2010, 02:45 AM
Pop35eye

You cant be serious? Hve you EVER used a shockwave or tornado.......?

DONTCRASH! if you do you fix parts period.... Not good for a starter......
Old 08-09-2010, 07:20 AM
rtn33

ORIGINAL: Pop35eye

I guess you had a bad experience with the Redcat products, which I understand but did the cars have any positive qualities?
Old 08-09-2010, 02:14 PM
RCToysNh

DONT CRASH! if you do you fix parts period.... Not good for a starter......
Walk into any hobby shop, do not care what brand they sell. The first thing you will notice is parts counter, stock box shelf and peg boards loaded with parts. Any thing you buy will need parts, that is why the LHS stock those peg boards with parts from all brands they sell. Drive any vehicle brand into a solid object at 35 mph + and you will break something.
The Shockwave and Tornado are a great way to start. If you decide you like the RC Land hobby, upgrade what you have or buy something else. If you decide it is not for you then you are only out short money. Sure there are better, but the price tags will be much higher.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:28 PM
rtn33

ORIGINAL: RCToysNh

Walk into any hobby shop, do not care what brand they sell. The first thing you will notice is parts counter, stock box shelf and peg boards loaded with parts. Any thing you buy will need parts, that is why the LHS stock those peg boards with parts from all brands they sell. Drive any vehicle brand into a solid object at 35 mph + and you will break something.
The Shockwave and Tornado are a great way to start. If you decide you like the RC Land hobby, upgrade what you have or buy something else. If you decide it is not for you then you are only out short money. Sure there are better, but the price tags will be much higher.

I hear you about broken parts. I have a MGT 4.6, Hpi mt and nitro stampede and i'm constantly at the hobby shop. My hobby shop doesn't carry redcat products but i'm still interested in getting one. If I need parts i'll just have to order them online. I have the other cars to run while im waiting for parts. If this was a first car, I dont think I would get one that my hobby shop didn't carry parts for. I'm just trying to find a cheap way into buggies since i'm on a budget right now.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:23 PM
cswtornado

I have a Tornado BB (which is basically an s30, just no slide carb)
I have to say it is a fun car good to start with (i did!)
note- I used the Traxxas REVO as a comparison of a high priced but similar car from a top brand.

Pros - 2 speed transmission
4 wheel drive
Sturdy if you use an extra worm screw to secure the pipe in place.
Cheap. This is a biggie. Tornado = $165, Traxxas REVO (basically same thing with big engine, more convinience features (reverse gear, ez start) = $430. Droping a big Picco engine into a tornado only adds $200 or so.

Cons - Not as cool looking. The inside of the REVO looks a lot cooler - Revo Overhead Tornado Overhead
Common leaks in the silicone coupler of the exhaust pipe fill your car with oily grime. It seams that the rear-facing pipe of the Revo wouldnt have that issue
Smallish output engine. Not that big of an issue, replacement is easy and its plenty big enough to have lots of fun with!

Conclusion-
Great car for the price!
I highly reccomend it for weekend bashing (not racing)
Old 08-10-2010, 05:09 PM
Pop35eye

I Started with a shockwave......Yes it ran good, had some nice stock parts....but the plastic parts are weak....a quick snap as opposed to taking a beating before breaking.
There are other brands that that can take a beating before breaking. Im just sayin'

Im not here to flame it, it is just my .02

For a beginner no, too expensive replacing too many parts.
I learned the hard way.......sometimes its more fun to play rough and these are not the cars for that...

They are better in someone else's collection.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:34 PM
NitroKings

I think they are both great starter cars.  The S30 is faster and has two speeds.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:55 PM
buggyboy2010

had my "tornado" for over 3years now and VERY little problems, And like others have said, You take ANY high brand name RC ( Traxx,HPI,etc.) and drive it 30+ into a solid object, You WILL break something.. so how about everyone stop the bashing.. But i guess that won't quit either since i've heard it for the past 3 years :P WHINERS!
Old 08-12-2010, 03:06 AM
Jgilk1

(this was back in like 2004-2005) new rs4 (rs3-rs4 idk) was like what $450 or so
i crashed my hpi rs4 in to a banked curb @ a little over 60mph and rolled it... should i have not expected over $300+ in repairs and replacements?

i mean when you rip the frame in half, crack the block and cooling head, break pretty much every thread-able part of the steering setup and shatter the steering servo, bend the shocks and springs, twist the shock tower receiver, and break the carb off the block broken, body mounts, shattered and torn body and 4 completely shattered rims???? i mean pretty much anything salvageable out of it was the drive train - the motor

i mean should i say that hpi makes a ****ty car cause the components couldn't hold up to a simple 60+mph crash???

i mean really i could point fingers @ the shop that sold it to me cause they didn't tell me i had to have a clean flat surface to run it on... or the fact that after repairing it i ran it under my car and caused another $150 in repairs...
Old 08-13-2010, 12:12 AM
Mickstix

I started with the TornadoS30.. My experience was very good.. Didnt hit any solid objects with it, but it held up fine to cartwheels and jumps gone wrong. lol.  Only real mods it needs to start with are (on mine anyway) adding a small "o" ring into the front drive cups, so the dogbones didnt have as much side to side movement. (they can/will fall out if you crash with the wheels turned to full lock) They may have started putting the o rings in at the factory, but check to make sure just in case.. After that, all's good! If it's your first nitro, make sure ya dont run it too lean (hot) as it'll kill the motor in short order if ya do so.. And unfortunately, it'll run really really good when it's leaned out, so ya have to be careful.. A temp gun is a good investment.. Good luck!
Old 08-13-2010, 10:53 PM
tylerjackson
My Feedback: (1)

I started with the ORIGNAL Shockwave and it was a blast. Remember that with these being buggies that they are pretty quick so for the son i would recomend the shockwave. There are alot of people who will only say that redcat is crap but those are also the people who maintained the horribly, I see you have a MGT so you are probally well advised on how to treat them.

The only real con that i can see is the electronics which will do there job but will also retire pretty quickly. Regular ol' stock traxxas servos are cheap and will be a HUGH problem solver. Of course a hump pack will be bennifital but not despertly needed and the stock radio will be fine but if your son is pretty young then it may need replacing before long, which i only say that because two of mine died due to abuse and the insides broke. Run aways are never good.

So maintain them and they will be great. And when you get a chance buy extra spurs and arms since they are really the only things that will break.