RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Redcat Racing Support (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/)
-   -   new redcat volcano epx (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/10890448-new-redcat-volcano-epx.html)

alexsamsdad 01-03-2012 06:33 PM

new redcat volcano epx

Hi, newbie here. I bought my son a new redcat volcano epx for xmas. I am having problems keeping the steering tight. I tighten the little silver thumb wheel on the steering, and it loosens with just a couple of minutes of turning the wheels back, and forth. You can feel it back itself off with each turn. Any fix for this? Another problem, is the charger stopped woking after the first time. I would like to buy a extra battery and new charger, what should I buy? Thankyou for your time</p>

nitrosportsandrunner 01-03-2012 06:52 PM

RE: new redcat volcano epx

ORIGINAL: alexsamsdad

Hi, newbie here. I bought my son a new redcat volcano epx for xmas. I am having problems keeping the steering tight. I tighten the little silver thumb wheel on the steering, and it loosens with just a couple of minutes of turning the wheels back, and forth. You can feel it back itself off with each turn. Any fix for this? Another problem, is the charger stopped woking after the first time. I would like to buy a extra battery and new charger, what should I buy? Thank you for your time</p>
Hi, i went to my hobby room and pulled out a lightening epx pro parts chassis i have and starred at it to try and figure out your problem.

the silver thumb wheel (servo saver adjustment nut) should be only 1-2mm above the black plastic servo saver.

If its that tight(close the the servo saver) then it shouldnt back off (in this case, go up)

that silver wheel puts pressure on a spring, which keep the 2 halves of the servo saver together. when there is a shock to the wheels tho, the spring allows the have to move independant, and thus not transfer the shock to the servo.

It sounds like the adjustment wheel is backing off so much, that there is no pressure on that spring and the servo saver then wont work right.

make sure the black nut on top of the upper chassis plate....and the screw under the chassis that goes into the servo saver are both good and tight. if they are loose, then turning the silver wheel wont actually tighten the spring(even tho its turning, its rotating on the center shaft that inside the servo saver and not putting more pressure on the spring)

nitrosportsandrunner 01-03-2012 07:10 PM

for you question about lipos, redcat has hexfly 2s lipos.(they have the same style connector as the stock battery) the 5000mah or 5800mah ones will almost double the runtime and bump up the acceleration and top speed as well.
www.hobbypartz.com also has some nice 2s lipos that have the same style connector that the redcat uses.
they also have a thunder AC6 lipo charger. Its cheap, easy to use and will charger nearly any battery that a RC hobbiest will use. Its what i use, and u cant beat the price of $50.

alexsamsdad 01-05-2012 05:28 PM

<div><font face="Times New Roman">Hi, thanks for your help, I have been having trouble replying to this post. The screw on the bottom of the servo savor, and the locknut on the top are both tight. As you steer left, and right, the silver thumbwheel backs itself off(loosens). As the steering moves back and forth you can see the thumbwheel turning. Any other ideas on what can be causing this? Thanks again for the help</font></div>

nitrosportsandrunner 01-05-2012 05:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)

<div><font face=''Times New Roman''>Hi, thanks for your help, I have been having trouble replying to this post. The screw on the bottom of the servo savor, and the locknut on the top are both tight. As you steer left, and right, the silver thumbwheel backs itself off(loosens). As the steering moves back and forth you can see the thumbwheel turning. Any other ideas on what can be causing this? Thanks again for the help</font></div>
it doesnt make sense to me, the silver thumb wheel should not be able to back itself off.
it does turn with the servo saver....so it will appear to turn when you are steering.

i have a full servo saver/bell crank assembly in my hand and its really hard to turn the silver wheel by hand(to back it off)

the thumb wheel should be tight to the plastic saver.

alexsamsdad 01-05-2012 07:22 PM

<div><font face="Times New Roman">Hi, the thumb screw is tight against the servo savor. As you turn the thumb screw ratchets to the left. It keeps ratcheting with every movement until it finally is too loose to put pressure on the spring.Is the screw that holds the servo savor one piece? Or is there a small screw that goes through the bottom of the car into the savor,and another on the top hrough the aluminum frame with the lock nut on it? Should i just order a new servo savor? Thanks for your time Ps. Is there a trick to replying to these post, and am really having a hard time to get these replys to go through</font></div>

nitrosportsandrunner 01-05-2012 07:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)

<div><font face=''Times New Roman''>Hi, the thumb screw is tight against the servo savor. As you turn the thumb screw ratchets to the left. It keeps ratcheting with every movement until it finally is too loose to put pressure on the spring.Is the screw that holds the servo savor one piece? Or is there a small screw that goes through the bottom of the car into the savor,and another on the top hrough the aluminum frame with the lock nut on it? Should i just order a new servo savor? Thanks for your time Ps. Is there a trick to replying to these post, and am really having a hard time to get these replys to go through</font></div>
sometime RCU gets slow. I just had to close down my windows and open RCU back up again.

anyway, i am baffled why the thumb screw is backing itself off.

and yes, there is a screw that goes inside the servo saver....thats what the screw on the bottom of the chassis and the nut on top are holding. the servo saver...with wing nut rotate on that screw.

I have an idea tho...if you were to put several washers above the thumb screw (after you tighten it) so that the washers would fill the gap between the thumb screw and the upper chassis plate...then the thumb screw shouldnt be able to back off.

the washers should be able to keep the thumb screw down, and thus it will make the servo saver work right.

you will have to remove the upper chassis plate to try this.

alexsamsdad 01-13-2012 04:45 PM

<div dir="ltr"><div style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Calibri'; COLOR: #000000; FONT-SIZE: 12pt"><div><font face="Arial"><font style="FONT-SIZE: 9pt">Hi, thanks for all your help. I think I solved the problem with the steering, I put some lock tite on the thumbwheel threads. Now I have a new problem, I bought a lipo battery(2s1p 5000 mah 7.4v 40c) it is a gen ace from hobbypartz. I also purchased the thunder ac6 that you reccomended. My son ran the car one charge with the new battery, and it stop working. The steering works fine, but the car will not move, and it has a funny smell coming from the motor. Did I mess up and fry the motor? I am not starting out very good with this car, and my son is getting discouraged. Thank you for your time</font></font></div></div></div><a></a><p color="#000000" align="left">No virus found in this message.
</p>

Kenp1980m 07-13-2017 05:53 PM

I hit the curb a little from the side and now my volcano epx doesn't turn right as well as it does left. I seen that thumb screw and tightened it so it's closer to the chassis and it seems to be better. It came loose a couple times though and steering to the right is dull. Doesn't putting loctite on it defeat the purpose of the servo saver? BTW, did you burn out the ESC with those LIPO batteries?

PerryCodes 09-18-2017 06:08 AM

My neighbor came to me a few days ago with a Redcat Racing Volcano EPX. He was inquiring about converting it to brushless. We have it a quick run and experienced a problem with a front dogbone continually popping out and I also noticed the steering wasn't working quite right. I originally thought the steering issue had to do with the servo being underpowered or possibly having stripped gears. Wrong on both accounts... Turned out to be an extremely sloppy servo saver!

But I couldn't help myself and do what I usually do with r/c vehicles that haven't been properly maintained... I completely stripped it down. Cleaned all the plastic and metal. Rebuilt the front and rear diffs (considered trying out diff fluid instead of grease like it originally used... but in the end opted to use the same grease I use in my Axial rock racers: TrakPower Waterproof Gear Grease. Something I probably should have checked on first... When it came time to start reassembly, I went to the interwebs to download the pdf for this truck. Holy christ in a handbasket does it SUCK! But it wasn't just the manual that sucked... The plastic that Redcat uses for this truck (all of their vehicles?) is the worst I've ever come across in all my years working with hobby-grade r/c. Absolutely surprised to see phillips screws (which would have a tendency to strip plastic in the first place), I was very, very careful when tightening the screws. Didn't help. I noticed immediately with the a-arms just how soft this crap-tastic plastic was... even fully assembled - you can twist and bend the a-arms all over the place... basically rendering the shocks useless and complicating issues with the servo saver (finally huh!?! If you have made it this far, I'm sure you were wondering... "When the hell is this post going to get on-topic??)

Regarding the op's issue: there should be no reason why the servo saver thumbscrew is backing up while the steering servo is being actuated. The one I worked on was quite difficult to turn. But even with it tightened down all the way, the steering was still super sloppy (alliteration!!). In my neighbors situation where the truck was a couple years old, I think replacing the parts with a brand new spring and plastics, he would see an improvement in functionality... If the vehicle is brand new and wasn't working correctly, I'd get on the phone with Redcat and request a replacement...

What about converting this particular vehicle to brushless..??? Not in a million years!! The plastic can barely handle screws... I returned the vehicle to my neighbor with the recommendation that he take a look at what Arrma or Traxxas is offering in his price range. After seeing the materials that Redcat uses, I simply would not ever recommend that brand to anyone, regardless of price considerations!

Txredneck 11-25-2017 09:02 AM

Redcat Exp Pro Shocks and clearance

I just bought the EXP PRO from a pawn shop and my question is? Is there any longer shocks I can put on it and also is there any bigger tires to put on it also? The buggy to me is way to light and it has really no ground clearance to it. Growing up I had a really nice RC that was 3x the cost of this one and now that I’m older I want to fix this one up and make it a kick ass RC like the one I had back then. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!!

RustyUs 11-25-2017 10:09 AM

Which platform?

This thread is about the Redcat Racing Volcano EPX monster truck, and then you ask about a buggy you bought. :confused: I know they use the same chassis. I just thought a better place to asked about a specific RC is to ask in that RC's specific thread. That way it's easier for somebody else to find info quicker for their RC.

Do you have/are you talking about the Redcat Racing Tornado EPX?.....http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redc...thread%2A.html

Searched threads...RCU Forums - Search Results

msolomon11 03-07-2021 09:42 PM

Replying