RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Redcat Racing Support (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/)
-   -   ever here of crystals going bad? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/10921095-ever-here-crystals-going-bad.html)

Dads like rc too 01-22-2012 07:00 AM

ever here of crystals going bad?

ok so I bought a 2 pack of radio crystals awhile back. I only needed 1 for an extra receiver so I left the other one in the bag. Yesterday I received a new radio/receiver set off ebay from a new Traxxas teardown. I removed the factory green crystal from the Traxxas receiver and installed my spare brown crystal to match my current radio. There was no response from the receiver. At first I thought the receiver must be no good. So then I put the original green crystal back in the receiver and removed the green crystal from the Traxxas radio and installed it in my current radio. The receiver responded properly. I put the original brown crystal back in my current radio and tried it with my other cars that run the same crystal and they all responded, so it seems like the new crystal I had in my parts box just isn't working. Has anyone heard of crystals going bad or just not working or am I not seeing something here?

nitrosportsandrunner 01-22-2012 08:32 AM

RE: ever here of crystals going bad?

i have had it happen once. a rx crystal got damage. they are fairly durable, but can still be damaged.

Dads like rc too 01-22-2012 02:26 PM

alright so these cars can really take you back to school.  So I take apart 3 different receivers today.  I'm swapping crystals, checking wires just trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong and then I read the little sticker on the crystal I'm trying to get to work "TX" ......UGH!  What a dumbass!  I had no idea the package of crystals I purchased previously was a set of RX and TX.  I just luckily put the RX in the receiver I was adding at the time and it worked.  I thought the package was just a pack of two same frequency crystals.  You learn something all the time playing with these things.

nitrosportsandrunner 01-22-2012 03:35 PM

ORIGINAL: Dads like rc too

alright so these cars can really take you back to school. So I take apart 3 different receivers today. I'm swapping crystals, checking wires just trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong and then I read the little sticker on the crystal I'm trying to get to work ''TX'' ......UGH! What a dumbass! I had no idea the package of crystals I purchased previously was a set of RX and TX. I just luckily put the RX in the receiver I was adding at the time and it worked. I thought the package was just a pack of two same frequency crystals. You learn something all the time playing with these things.
dude, ive been into rc for 7 years and still make that mistake from time to time. I just look at the frequency # and not whether its RX or TX. really kick yourself when you realize you have been wasting your own time...lol