RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Redcat Racing Support (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/)
-   -   volcano with trx3.3 upgrade (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/11061465-volcano-trx3-3-upgrade.html)

buckhoule 04-29-2012 12:49 PM

volcano with trx3.3 upgrade

1 Attachment(s)
I recently blew the stock engine in my volcano s30 and couldnt find much info on anyone who has done an engine upgrade so i went about it myself. If anyone is interested in doing this i have included pictures and a stock list of parts i used, it was a very easy install and the truck is now very fast and actually wheelies!!!

STOCK LIST:
  1. TRX 3.3 WITH PULL START
  2. T-MAXX 3.3 EXHAUST HEADER AND CHROME TUNED PIPE
  3. T-MAXX 3.3 THROTTLE LINKAGE SET
  4. TRAXXAS FLYWHEEL AND 17T CLUTCHBELL
  5. T-MAXX 3.3 ENGINE MOUNT
  6. SOMEONE WITH A TIG WELDER FOR THROTTLE LINKAGE
INSTALLATION PROCESS:
  1. Assemble the engine to the engine mount and installed the clutchbell on the engine
  2. I had to feather the tips of the teeth on the clutchbell to achive smooth mesh between the traxxas clutchbell and my stock spur gear
  3. Remove the handle that goes over the transmission (this does not get re-installed)
  4. Take a small hammer and place the frame on a hard flat surface, and flatten out edge of frame where engine will be mounted
  5. Place engine on frame so the clutchbell is touching the spur gear also making sure the engine is square with the spur gear (you can do this mke making equal space between the old engine mount holes on the frame and the new engine mount, while holding engine in place take a scribe tool and mark where engine mount holes land on the frame
  6. Take a straight edge (ruler or combo square) and connect the front scribe marks together and the rear scribe marks together this will be where your new engine mount holes will be ( i made my holes go 1/2" in each direction left and right from my original scribe marks which left me with FOUR 1" slots in the frame)
  7. Assemble exhaust to engine and install engine in vehicle making sure your gear mesh is correct
  8. You are going to use the throttle linkage from the t-maxx and the original volcano linkage to servo piece, this part takes a little fanagling to get the lengths just right, you are going to clip the tmaxx linkage on the carb, then move the original linkage to servo connector from the right servo arm to the left servo arm i had to use the long screw from the hadle you removed in step 2 with a piece of fuel tubeing between the servo arm and linkage to servo connector to avoid the brake and trottle linkages from conflicting (you can see placement in pics) you will have to cut each of the linkage rods down to achive proper length. once you have a length that works you can TIG weld the two rods together
  9. make sure all bolts are tight, gear mesh is set, install air filter
I wish i had taken step by step photos but if anyone has any questions feel free to ask

this upgrade was well worth it i have had about 20 tanks of fuel so far with not breakage of any kind, eventually i do expect to break something or everything but it is well worth the cool factor<br type="_moz" /><br type="_moz" />

buckhoule 04-29-2012 01:15 PM

RE: volcano with trx3.3 upgrade

1 Attachment(s)
I had forgotten that i changed how the springs were on the throttle linkage so i put up new pics of the linkage below i also put a pic of the spacer i used between the linkage to servo connector and servo arm

nitrosportsandrunner 04-29-2012 03:40 PM

wow, nicely done.

It must wheely like crazy!

buckhoule 04-29-2012 03:45 PM

yes it does and if anyone can tell me how to post videos i can post a couple

nitrosportsandrunner 04-29-2012 04:19 PM

ORIGINAL: buckhoule

yes it does and if anyone can tell me how to post videos i can post a couple

when you make a post, look up top for the "youtube" button. click it and then put the URL of your youtube video inside the middle of the text that showed up.

buckhoule 05-03-2012 02:44 PM

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1uPXWUrfhU[/youtube]

here is one video, not very good but there is more to come<br type="_moz" />

nitrosportsandrunner 05-03-2012 04:16 PM

you hardly got on the throttle, yet its clean that truck is very fast!

bpohl 05-11-2012 10:09 AM

Thats a cool truck set up you have. I have a Volcano S30 also. With a GS.21 in it. Bought a used .21 engine and installed it on mine. Finally was able to order a new bell pinion for it to get a better gear in it. I changed out the rear shocks to Traxxas Stampedee rear shock on mine. Only cause the pipe i have on it was right where the shock was. Only other bad thing was it burns through the fuel really fast. My sons electric truck which out last mine. I order a 100cc tank that is from HPI and am in the process of putting it back together. Will have get some pics up later.</p>

bpohl 05-11-2012 10:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are couple pictures when I first installed the GS.21. i will get more this evening with the new tank in it.

buckhoule 05-13-2012 09:05 AM

That looks real nice it must fly, how do you like those shocks are they a good improvement over stock?
I also just put a sealed 2 speed for a backdraft 3.5 in my truck I'm getting 45 out of it now but still can go up
A couple teeth on the clutch bell, let me know how the tank fits thAt you bought I'd like more run time too lol
<br type="_moz" />

Dads like rc too 05-13-2012 12:35 PM

ORIGINAL: bpohl

I order a 100cc tank that is from HPI and am in the process of putting it back together. Will have get some pics up later.</p>
I think if your going to go through the trouble of fitting a larger tank you should really consider going with the 150 cc tank.

bpohl 05-13-2012 04:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I like the way it handles with these shocks on the back. Its balanced pretty good right now. I am running a 18T bell. I can almost turn it on a dime and it will pick up th inside wheel when I gas on it. I have another set of shocks which i am going to try on the front and see if I can get this thing balanced real good. We have a local track so trying to get it tuned in to race. I looked at going bigger but could not find a tank I liked that was the right dimensions, trying to keep as much as the stock look as possible. Here are the updated pictures with the tank in. Only other thing i have done is upgrade the steering servo to a 9kg servo and installed a piece of aluminum on my servo saver so the truck will steer better. Yes I know i could of gone to the aluminum servo saver but I liked this better;)