RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Redcat Racing Support (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/)
-   -   Ground Pounder Purchase??? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/11661711-ground-pounder-purchase.html)

speedknot 03-06-2019 06:07 PM

Ground Pounder Purchase???

Since Axial and other manufactures have axed their Monster Jam themed vehicles, my eyes are turning to the Ground Pounder and doing a few mods to it to address its shortcomings. At its price point, this unit seems like a good base for a cool Monster Jam truck. Something that I have noticed though is that the aftermarket parts seem to have dried up. Things like axle braces and other bits are unavailable. Did this truck ever get the traction needed for companies to keep producing hop up parts for it? Does anyone know if this truck is on its way of being discontinued? I really don't want to buy it and find out that parts are obsolete.

imacsuk2 03-10-2019 06:13 PM

Ground Pounder RC Monster Truck - I see it is on clearance sale. So yeah it will be discontinued soon.
It first came out back in 2009/2010. A quick search on YouTube show many Ground Pounder owners have mostly gotten rid of stock parts.

You can still buy it (if it still available somewhere) and change out stock parts for something better.

speedknot 03-10-2019 06:34 PM

Thanks. Seems like the price is dropping on this. I think I'm going to steer away from it. Given their crappy customer service, I'm not going to expect anything better on a discontinued item. I bought their little Everest-16 crawler and I was impressed with it, at its price point. But its a crawler, not a basher. I'd be using the GP as a basher and I don't want to worry about parts support when something breaks.

krispy378 01-25-2020 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by speedknot (Post 12509300)
Thanks. Seems like the price is dropping on this. I think I'm going to steer away from it. Given their crappy customer service, I'm not going to expect anything better on a discontinued item. I bought their little Everest-16 crawler and I was impressed with it, at its price point. But its a crawler, not a basher. I'd be using the GP as a basher and I don't want to worry about parts support when something breaks.

Unfortunately its definitely not a basher, at least in stock out of the box form. We have two Ground Pounders, my son and I, and just about everytime we go out to play with them, someting breaks. Let me stress, we are not abusing them. No xgames stuff etc...One little low speed collision of any kind and it breaks something. Suspension links are as strong as hard butter, the plastic shock mounts to the axles break, the shock spring cups fly off and away, the axles are not very strong... The steering links are no better than the suspension links. The motor mount and gear mesh is a joke. Gotta be very careful with it. Super fantastic engineering design, just made from the cheapest and least durable material they could get their hands on. Just not durable at all...Keep it on a shelf, or spend a fortune in upgrades just to have fun with it. Lets be clear, this is a crawler, not a racer. But, i think it shouldn't break so easily and so often. Sorry for long post, had to vent...Also waited to vent, we have had them since 2017...