RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Redcat Racing Support (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/)
-   -   Help with Volcano exp pro (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/11687430-help-volcano-exp-pro.html)

CaptTrips 02-03-2021 05:38 PM

Help with Volcano exp pro

Front dogbone keeps bending in the wheel cup. I'm not even jumping it, just driving around the yard and after 5 minutes of driving the same bone keeps bending. I've tried a couple tips I saw online, adjusting the turnbuckle and even a tiny spring in the opposite cup to reduce play. I've been through 3 bones and I'm so frustrated I just want to shelf it.

King Stoeck 02-07-2021 12:23 AM

Hey man I'm new here and am having the same issue, bending dog bones every time I take her out. Frustrating as hell. I even tried the cvd ones I believe they're made for hsp/exceed trucks, found on ebay and the same size as Volcano dog bones....they bent 1st time out.

Did you try replacing your cups? Once they get worn sometiems I've noticed they allow to much play for the ends. Also I've heard using small o rings on both ends of the dog bone to prevent to much play, have been looking for small enough o rings myself. Lastly check your steering, I had a way overpowered servo in mine and it turned my wheels to much, almost forcefully, causing the dog bone ends to bend.

Hope some of this helps ya, if I find anything more out I'll be sure to let you know.

RustyUs 02-07-2021 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by CaptTrips (Post 12661369)
Front dogbone keeps bending in the wheel cup. I'm not even jumping it, just driving around the yard and after 5 minutes of driving the same bone keeps bending. I've tried a couple tips I saw online, adjusting the turnbuckle and even a tiny spring in the opposite cup to reduce play. I've been through 3 bones and I'm so frustrated I just want to shelf it.

Originally Posted by King Stoeck (Post 12661921)
Hey man I'm new here and am having the same issue, bending dog bones every time I take her out. Frustrating as hell. I even tried the cvd ones I believe they're made for hsp/exceed trucks, found on ebay and the same size as Volcano dog bones....they bent 1st time out.

Did you try replacing your cups? Once they get worn sometiems I've noticed they allow to much play for the ends. Also I've heard using small o rings on both ends of the dog bone to prevent to much play, have been looking for small enough o rings myself. Lastly check your steering, I had a way overpowered servo in mine and it turned my wheels to much, almost forcefully, causing the dog bone ends to bend.

Hope some of this helps ya, if I find anything more out I'll be sure to let you know.

The first place I'd look, for issue to fix, is what are the front dog bones doing when the steering is at full lock in either direction. Good call on the o-rings at both ends of dog bones to help keep things centered. Now, when you have the steering at full lock left, or right...move the suspension to full droop/compression, and recheck dog bone pin orientation.

King Stoeck 02-10-2021 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by RustyUs (Post 12661973)
The first place I'd look, for issue to fix, is what are the front dog bones doing when the steering is at full lock in either direction. Good call on the o-rings at both ends of dog bones to help keep things centered. Now, when you have the steering at full lock left, or right...move the suspension to full droop/compression, and recheck dog bone pin orientation.

I checked that and as of right now the dog bones and those pins are in good locations in the cup, towards the back of it.

So I was having a front diff issue, one of the c cups snapped. I replaced it and it broke shortly after then it broke internally, then today just broke again. I replaced the entire diff, all the gears, bought a new complete one and installed it (hoping that helps). I'm thinking maybe the cups were also pretty worn out allowing the dog bones more wiggle than normal and that's why they were bending so easy? Time will tell, lol. But I replaced all 4 c cups in the front and the 2 to the driveshaft as well, they were all old anyway

I also extended the wheels about 3/4" and added the dukono tires and retro fitted traxxas dog bone guards (not sure their correct name) to help protect the dog bones when I crash.

Appreciate your help. 👊🏻