RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Redcat Racing Support (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/)
-   -   the new lanslide 1/8 scale (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/7589991-new-lanslide-1-8-scale.html)

impune 06-06-2008 11:23 PM

the new lanslide 1/8 scale

i noticed the new 1/8 scales out there with smaller engines. with the landslide can we still upgrade with that .18 to a .21 or? man a two speed and even bigger engine... woo hoo..

how about the two speed set up, can we put that into the avalanche?

also why does the maestorm and the sandstorm only one speed?

basically the maelstorm is the monsoon with smaller engine and the sandstorm is the hurricane with smaller engine?

also the r/c shop said to go to 30% nitro on my sh 28 so it does not lube up the oneway as often with the 20% traxxas. said to go odonells?

thanks[8D]

ugly duck 06-07-2008 01:01 AM

RE: the new lanslide 1/8 scale

In my EXPERT opinion (haha!) I wouldn't use anything more than 12% OIL CONTENT in any of the Golden Lion engines. They've got internal OWBs and from what I've seen folks who use 16% oil content have problems. AFAIK, the Traxxas fuel is 16% oilcon, right?

Also always remember and never forget to pick your truck up by the BACK end and if possible store it that way. The OWB is in the rear and all the fuel that's in the crankcase sloshes back there when you pick it up by the front bumper, fouling it.

Edit - Doh! Thanks, John.

AllAboutFunHobbies 06-07-2008 10:06 AM

First off, there fast enough with out a bigger engine almost wheelie popin.

I'm with Ugly Duck on the oil issue, I wouldn't use anything with a high oil content like Traxxas fuel. The OWB will start slipping and you won't be able to start the engine. If you insist on using Traxxas fuel then you deffinatly want to store it with the rear end raised so the oil runs to the front. of the engine.

RedcatRacing 06-07-2008 01:03 PM

The Maelstrom and Sandstorm have center differentials which is what a buggy and truggy should have for best performance, but we have already received many requests to put the 2 speed tranny in them and we will probably offer them with either center diff or 2 speed in the near future, or at least offer a kit.

Wade is also right, they have plenty of power with the SH18 and slide carb.

Our goal with the new 1/8 Ultralites (Maelstrom, Landslide and Sandstorm) was to make a 1/8 scale vehicle that is priced much closer to a 1/10 scale but with a lot of power that is perfect for bashing. We do not intend to put a big block in these vehicles. The SH18 has plenty of power.

These have quickly become my favorite cars and once they start to hit the market, I think they will become our number 1 sellers based on the price, performance and all out fun.

Darin

Kemo 06-07-2008 02:04 PM

I want to set the record straight on what happens with the OWB...

When engines aren't shut down with the piston at BDC, a ring develops in the cylinder where the piston is always stopped when the engine is shut down. This ring gets tighter with time, because when its time to shut the engine down, it gets tighter and tighter at this spot, thus the piston remains at this position at most times when shut down. Basically, the sleeve and piston are expanding due to heat. The sleeve is naturally tight at top dead center. Since engines are commonly left sitting with the piston at TDC, when the metals contract, they form a tight ring where the piston was.

With this being said, it now becomes harder to start the engine because there is too much compression because of the ring that developed. Thus, the OWB will begin to slip.

Once this develops, its hard to cure, and sometimes it cant be cured. Mark your flywheel so you know where bottom dead center is (BDC), and ALWAYS set the flywheel at that position when you aren't running your vehicle.

impune 06-08-2008 08:38 AM

ok so go to the odonnels fuel then for the sh. 28 because of the owb being inside the engine.

i don't know if i'd agree with .18 being fast enough to wheelie pop a 1/8 scale. the sh .28 does not wheelie pop the 1/8 avalanche. and is set up as follows;
differentials (5000 in rear, 10000 in center, 7000 in front) pure silicone set up. i am going to upgrade to the 12t bell too.

so can you upgrade them to a .21? no one answered that.

and pick up the truck from the rear or flat. and use the lower oil content one for the redcat. i've just used the traxxas for years on all my vehicles and my traxxas pro.15 in my stampede lasted 7 years and probly five plus gallons of fuel.

but i'll go to the odonnels. the hobby shop stated to run it with 30% nitro instead of the 20% nitro. what do you think?

ugly duck 06-08-2008 08:51 AM

Well again, you can try it but you'll probably build more heat and might get detonation. In the XTM 24.7 manual (built by Golden Lion, who also makes SH remember) it says that to use 30% you've got to add a head shim. I bring this up because the manuals for Redcat etc., have been terrible in the past, and don't mention anything.

There's a short discussion in the engines forum about nitro content & what it does, and that there are two ways of measuring it (by weight and by volume). Check it out.

Extreme Crash 06-08-2008 03:26 PM

Is the Landslide currently available? If so, does anyone have one and what do you think of it?

RedcatRacing 06-08-2008 07:06 PM

The Landslides just started shipping on Tuesday of last week so it will probably be another few days before get them. So far about 50 have been shipped out mostly to dealers so unless the dealers already had sales for them, it might be a little bit longer until someone posts some stuff.

Darin

impune 06-08-2008 08:17 PM

they have been on sale on ebay cheaper for the past two weeks or so. 199.99 to 215.99.

i have been watching all the auctions and know of two sold so far.

people just might be thinking the same as i, a smaller engine than my traxxas and on a vehicle twice the size....

i guess people will wait for reviews and video huh?

the sh.28 seems to be very tempermental anyways, that's why i posted is it capable to go up to the .21? because that engines owb is on the outside right? still in a .21.

are there certain brands that sell the larger engines with out the owb inside the engines?

Extreme Crash 06-08-2008 08:57 PM

Thanks Darin, I'm looking forward to some opinions of this vehicle.

impune 06-11-2008 08:11 AM

the new 1/8 scale are now with free shipping on ebay.... redcat dealers they say, but anyways.....

the only reason i am interested is the serious issues i have been having with the avalanche sh28 does not run well at all. only vehicle i have been seriously fustrated over in ten years... so this smaller engine with two gears sounds better due to the owb is on the outside right? but a .21 engine upgrade option sounds really cool with two speed trans.

so please answer the previous questions on those subjects i previously posted about the change, options.

and really almost pop a wheelie with the .18? i can't do that with my set up with the sh.28...

thanks guys

{GBI}Harryball 06-11-2008 09:58 AM

ORIGINAL: impune

the new 1/8 scale are now with free shipping on ebay.... redcat dealers they say, but anyways.....

the only reason i am interested is the serious issues i have been having with the avalanche sh28 does not run well at all. only vehicle i have been seriously fustrated over in ten years... so this smaller engine with two gears sounds better due to the owb is on the outside right? but a .21 engine upgrade option sounds really cool with two speed trans.

so please answer the previous questions on those subjects i previously posted about the change, options.

and really almost pop a wheelie with the .18? i can't do that with my set up with the sh.28...

thanks guys
Bottom line, horse power to wait ratio. The new 1/8 are very light. They are not typical 1/8 scale weight. Proper gearing and tuning along with some setup the new 1/8s will wheelie.

ugly duck 06-11-2008 10:46 AM

If you decide to sell the Avalanche, Impune, PM me. I'm not in the market right now, but I could be if the price is right.

RedcatRacing 06-11-2008 03:29 PM

We will not be having an option of the Landslide with a bigger engine anytime soon. These are built specifically with the small block engine to keep the price down to a level that will bring some 1/10 drivers into the 1/8 world.

They have plenty of power as they come stock and in my opinion are fast enough for most users.

Darin

Sandmanvnvmc 06-14-2008 01:01 AM

We received two Landslides today, been very busy so we only had a chance to look at them. They are shipped in the old earthquake box so don't be alarmed when yours arrives and the box does not say landslide, actually the truck is just as it looks on the REDCAT site except on the windsheild it says Earthquake. I understand that will change soon, waiting on the factory to print the right boxes, ect. My only question is they do not appear to be 2 speed as the clutch bell only has one gear on it. I will need to talk to REDCAT Monday to see what the deal is on that.
Sandman
VNV Hobby
St. Louis, MO

impune 06-14-2008 05:46 AM

the old earthquake boxes? but the earthquakes were the ones prior the avalanche and were just as heavy. why wouldn't they remove the sticker from the windshields? also i hope that was a mistake and that redcat didn't just waste a bunch of money sending out trucks that are not as described.

additionally they need to take better pictures/gattery of them and some one needs to drive them to do a review. even the typhone only has what appears to be a scanned copy of the box... come on guys, people need better visuals and stuff to want to buy.

so does this mean they are recycling old stock bodies and boxes?

did the wheels and all look like the picture?
i guess gas one up, break it in for store model, see if it shifts :)

thats just the kid in me. but let us all know.

impune 06-14-2008 05:56 AM

as some are on sale on ebay since the other week, i noticed in thier pics that it appears to be some type of covered/sealed gear box system. certain other company out of austrailia has something similar in this transmission set up. i would had mentioned, but really you need better listing and advertisemet pictures, videos and more for all these new lines...

but i am anxious as others to hear of them..about them and check out the pics.

ugly duck 06-14-2008 08:02 AM

If you look on the website or if you look at any of the Himoto 2 speeds, they've only got the one spur gear, a slipper, and the two speed transmission is inside the case. The way it should be, IMO.

RedcatRacing 06-14-2008 01:15 PM

The first shipment of the Landslides were shipped in the Earthquake boxes and also have the word earthquake on the windshield. The next shipments will have the correct boxes and sticker labels.

The vehicle though is the exact production model though and simply had the error with the packaging and windshield sticker.

Would love to hear some feedback from those that have the Landslide, Maelstrom or Sandstorm.

Darin

impune 06-15-2008 06:19 AM

the only video's i've seen in searches so far are fromt he other distributor. people are even using it for advertisement due to lack of a video from redcat to use. don't take offense, but was there a body difference too? because if i ordered from the guy off ebay the landslide and i got the yellow color scheme and the word earthquake on the windshield, instead the of the body pictured? we'd have some ebay issues and paypal concerns.

just a thought to sellers, advise your client/customers of what body before you waste money sending it out to them. there is a big difference in appearance with the red and grey combo(or black sorry) and the earth quake's yellow and blue scheme.

just my two cents as a consumer.

p.a. in away those videos of the other company truck selling the redcat one, made you want to compare prices to see which one to buy.... seeing the parts will match at my redcat dealer....

ugly duck 06-15-2008 08:20 AM

That's the funny thing - by appearances, Himoto's truck looks very different from the Landslide. If the Landslide is what I think it is - a lightened up version of the Avalanche, but with a smaller engine and a 2 speed, that means it's got the same shortcomings & strengths as the Avalanche, but we've got a large information base on the basic truck already plus any 17mm wheels fit the thing. The Himoto has a very different chassis scheme and may be stronger, but is all new and has 12mm wheels that are very difficult to find (1/10 truck wheels are too small, even the 30 series). They may perform the same, but it's not certain how many Redcat parts fit onto the thing.

RedcatRacing 06-15-2008 02:15 PM

ORIGINAL: impune

the only video's i've seen in searches so far are fromt he other distributor. people are even using it for advertisement due to lack of a video from redcat to use. don't take offense, but was there a body difference too? because if i ordered from the guy off ebay the landslide and i got the yellow color scheme and the word earthquake on the windshield, instead the of the body pictured? we'd have some ebay issues and paypal concerns.

just a thought to sellers, advise your client/customers of what body before you waste money sending it out to them. there is a big difference in appearance with the red and grey combo(or black sorry) and the earth quake's yellow and blue scheme.

just my two cents as a consumer.

p.a. in away those videos of the other company truck selling the redcat one, made you want to compare prices to see which one to buy.... seeing the parts will match at my redcat dealer....
All of the Landslides have the red/black body as pictured on the Redcat Racing site.

Darin

RedcatRacing 06-15-2008 02:32 PM

ORIGINAL: ugly duck

That's the funny thing - by appearances, Himoto's truck looks very different from the Landslide. If the Landslide is what I think it is - a lightened up version of the Avalanche, but with a smaller engine and a 2 speed, that means it's got the same shortcomings & strengths as the Avalanche, but we've got a large information base on the basic truck already plus any 17mm wheels fit the thing. The Himoto has a very different chassis scheme and may be stronger, but is all new and has 12mm wheels that are very difficult to find (1/10 truck wheels are too small, even the 30 series). They may perform the same, but it's not certain how many Redcat parts fit onto the thing.
The Landslide is a new design and should not be compared to the Avalanche. If you compare the parts you will see that almost none of the Avalanche parts will work on the Landslide and vice versa. Total ground up design to save as much weight as possible. The hexes are the same as our 1/8 scales though, so there are a ton of wheel options out there.

Here are the specs on it.

Length: 510mm
Width: 380mm
Height: 250mm
Wheelbase: 325mm
Gear Ratio: 19.84:1 Low 14.38:1 High
Ground Clearance: 58mm

Darin

Sandmanvnvmc 06-16-2008 11:41 AM

Darin,
Are you saying that unlike the 1/10th scale 2 speed vehicles this 1/8th 2 speed has a clutch bell with one set of gears unlike the 1/10th scale 2 speeds?
Folks do not get alarmed the box is the old box but inside is nothing like the Earthquake, it is totally different than the Avalanche also. Heavier than a 1/0th scale Volcano but lighter than a 1/8th scale Avalanche. The lighter weight comes at a price, less aluminum parts for strength and of course the SH .18 instead fo the SH .28 motor, plastic pipe instead of tuned aluminum pipe. If you are looking for a fun truck to get into the hobby with this may be it, if you are looking for a truck that will hold up to hard everyday bashing spend just a little more (the value is there) and get the Avalanche.

Sandman
VNV Hobby
St. Louis