Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

Semi symmetrical wing

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2003, 12:49 PM
*Crash*Johnson*
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Semi symmetrical wing

I am trying to make a coro wing, but a symmetrical one. All I can seem to make are flat bottom ones. Anyone have a plan on how to make one?
Old 08-05-2003, 01:20 PM
CraigA

There are a few out there...they are actually easier to make than the flat bottom wings. You fold and glue the top and bottom wing halves (typically sandwiching the ailerons) then slide the spar in (horizontally) twist the spar to it's vertical position and glue it in place. The problem with symmetrical wings is the wing attachment is not flat.
Search for the Spazzler....this is a constant chord wing with a very thick chord. This is a take off of the balsa Dazzler.
Two others are the Dino and the Sickle (flying wing). These are double tapered wings.
Craig
Old 08-05-2003, 02:44 PM
*Crash*Johnson*
My Feedback: (7)

I have a mental image I can run with. Thanks for the ideas!
Old 08-05-2003, 03:27 PM
McIntoshj

I built a buhor wing and it turned out to be semmetrical. It has great pictures and instructions. I put a Buhor wing on a Deb fuse. I might have built it wrong but it sure flies great. I also liked that you do not have to sandwich the ailerons between the wing.

Good luck
Jason
Old 08-05-2003, 08:01 PM
ChrisSpad

the way i build symmetrical wings is described, in detail, on my site, in the ccedge 540 build instructions, complete with pics. The jist of it is to build the wing without the spar, then slide the spar in, flip it up, and its done.
Old 08-07-2003, 02:38 AM
onewayHis

I've been building symmetrical wings for awhile now. I think they're much easier and cleaner to build than any other. Follow the method Chris shows, it works great.

As far as attaching the wing, I actually cut a slot in the spar the width of the fuse at the midpoint. Then I glue in a foam wedge at the LE (shaped by tracing the end of the wing on the foam and cutting it down). Plus I cut a piece of PVC to fit into the slot and glue it on top of the foam. This gives me a shim to "bolt" through for my wing. At the TE I glue a shim of PVC pieces and bolt through that as well......NO PROBLEMS, NO WORRIES. Just make sure you have the wing incidence level.

I just posted my railbipe with pics. Both of those wings were built this way.

Here's a pic of how I did it on an early Profile GeeBee
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	99787_24201.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	56587