Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

Kombat Armadillo

Old 06-07-2011, 01:54 PM
1lasportsman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kombat Armadillo

Kombat Armadillo
<hr size="1" style="background-color: #a7a7a7; color: #a7a7a7" />
I have an old Armadillo it flies great but lands like a brick.
If you cut or lower power it is going to land.I was wondering if I move the wing forward would it help with the landing or would it make a large difference? I was looking to just move the wing Fwd about 4 inches.
The plane weighs 6.2 lbs.
I guess i Just keep moving the wing Up and keep checking the CG on it as long as I keep it nose heavy. I am really new to this but I just like this plane.
Moved the wing up and was really tail heavy. can I just move the tail fwd and make the plane shorter to get the CG back nose heavy
How does a short stubby plane fly conpared to a long plane fly?
Old 06-10-2011, 11:28 AM
joeskeeter
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Kombat Armadillo

I'm trimming weight on my ultra-spadstik.

Mine drops when i cut throttle.

I think you need to figure cg better, with that online cg calculator ,
then everybody says do something like up to 5% nose heavy is the best.
So I follow this on the other plane i have, the nexstar and lately
it's been flying good and the landings are fianlly getting real easy.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:39 AM
Al Stein

Landing like a brick is all about wing loading the 'Dillo has a lot of weight for its wing area, and that defines to high wing loading. For a heavily loaded wing, the only choices are to go fast or fall.

Moving the wing forward or shortening your plane won't change the wing loading, so it won't make it land "better". The only practical way to make it float or go slower on landing would be to increase the wing area and you should increase the tail area by the same proportion. You could add way wider ailerons to increase the wing area but if you do, be sure to give them way less motion.

The only other thing you can do is add a couple pounds of lightness (i.e. take aff some weight), but that is not a practical approach.

About how a shorter airplane flies, it generally is more sensitive to control movements and less stable.
Old 09-10-2011, 06:48 AM
earlwb

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Airmadillos all fly just fine. Yes when dead stick you are coming down faster but gravity always wins no matter what.
The Airmadillos tend to have a higher wing loading so they tend to land faster. it isn't a big deal. You get used to it. the diamond shaped airfoil on mine isn't the most efficient, but it does work though.

Don't change the CG by moving the wing around too much. If your plane is nose heavy then yeah one could adjust it accordingly. But don't make it tail heavy, or it will likely be a short flight then.

Old 09-10-2011, 07:00 AM
AmishWarlord
My Feedback: (5)

Nice old Tips and Tricks page.

http://www.hosenose.com/hevener/rcfl...illo_hints.htm

Where to get them now,
http://kombat40.50megs.com/k40.html

Old 09-10-2011, 07:11 AM
AmishWarlord

ORIGINAL: 1lasportsman

The plane weighs 6.2 lbs.
For the plane to fly well and not drop like a brick it needs to weigh 4.5 pounds rather than 6.2. Your two pounds heavy.

That two pounds is the nature of the beast. Durability.

The Kombat 40 is designed to crash well, not fly well.

Don't fight design philosophy. You won't win.

Old 09-10-2011, 07:15 AM
AmishWarlord

If your up to it, replace that heavy plastic wing with a built up balsa wing. Then replace the metal fuselage shaft with a built up carbon fiber/balsa laminate one. It will fly very well then. Though it will splinter into pieces if you crash it.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:12 PM
Mike in DC

Don't change the CG from the manufacturer's recommendation. My one thought is maybe you don't have enough elevator deflection. I am teaching some folks with a similar plane (as far as weight), the Aircore and I really need a lot more elevator than the manufacturer recommended.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:09 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

My armadillo flies like yours-too bad Hurricane Katrina wiped out the old house that they use for a plant-mine is pretty ragged and it flies just like it did new-