Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design
Reload this Page >

i wanna make one- need advice

Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

i wanna make one- need advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 12:42 PM
debay
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i wanna make one- need advice

I just lost my Apprentice for good. I flew it without checking my radio batteries and thought I had it repaired. The fuselage broke and did not glue back together straight. One test flight and she crashed again, this time for good. I was able to salvage all the servos, wires, ESC, and radio gear with no damage. I bought a G25 Turnigy motor to go in it but I havent used it yet as I still need to buy a 50 amp ESC.

I would like to keep all of the gear from the apprentice and put it in a SPAD. I also have three 3200/3000 mAh lipos that dont need to go to waste. I like the design of the Big Stick type planes and I would like to build one. I just dont know what size to make it and still use my gear. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 10-25-2011, 02:45 PM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: i wanna make one- need advice

Couldn't say the best plane, but I think the Apprentice is about a .10 to .15 size plane, so that is one of the size planes to look for. I don't know if you need a trainer or combat type. I think the Sickle is a .15. You would have to check the Spad to the Bone website and see what they have. Others may chime in too.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:03 PM
debay

The apprentice is a pretty good plane. It's easy to fly, comes with a good radio system, and can handle some basic aerobatics. It is in fact a .15 size. I have been Looking at that web site and I'm Pretty sure I have the model I want to build. I already have .25 motor so all I need is an esc and I'm good to go. I'm toying with belly lander vs tail drager.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:23 PM
aspeed

Electric motors don't always stop the prop horizontal, so you could break a prop once in a while on landing without a landing gear.  Not every time though. You can keep your eye on it too and give it a shot of throttle if you glide it in and it is vertical.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:27 PM
debay

speaking of props, Im not sure what prop I should use. I guess I could use the stock Apprentice prop, but Im not sure how that will play out with the weight of the plane.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:38 PM
aspeed

Not sure about that. You would have to check your amp draw, motor winds and ratings and speed controller and....  ask someone who knows.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:27 PM
debay

is there a tutorial on that somewhere. its al greek to me.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:27 AM
aspeed

Try the electric training forum on RCU.  Also the motor instructions usually recommend a prop and # of cells etc.  Usually a smaller prop draws less amps and won't burn out the esc.  It is an expensive fuse.  Between the two forums you'll get going.