Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

SPAD for pylon Racing?

Old 08-28-2003, 01:36 AM
Milliardo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SPAD for pylon Racing?

I was wondering if any of you guys had a suggestion as to what SPAD would work well for pylon racing. What I'm looking at doing is getting pylon racing going at the club I fly in, so I'm looking to build 3 identical planes using MVVS .26 engines. Each plane would be on a different channel so I could then get 2 other guys up in the air at the same time as me. I suspect that after 3 of us start flying them more will join in.

The planes don't have to be the fastest things in the world, actually it would probably be good if it wasn't extremely fast, but I would prefer it not to be a complete dog either. For me I wouldn't mind at all if it was a rocket but I know that if its to fast it will scare some of the other fliers away and I'm looking to get more people involved. One thing I would like is for the plane to track well through the air. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 08-28-2003, 04:43 AM
FrankC29

Well, I assume you are not going to have the very stringent restrictions of Quickee 500. You'll want something simple that can be built quickly. Take a look at the HOR plans. Knock the spar height down to 3/4", or even 5/8", this will increase speed. If you want to go with a shorter wing, use the Dogfighter wing dimensions (but stick with all 2mm), but I would be tempted to leave it at the 48" shown in the HOR plans, that wing just tracks SOO nice . Shorten the fuse length a little, maybe to 28"-30". I think it would be a quick setup with the engine you mentioned, and take a couple hours to build. It wouldn't be competetive with the balsa pylon racers on the market like the Predator, but it would be fun and cheap and durable!
Old 08-28-2003, 05:11 AM
Silly me

To be totaly honest I would make a dogfighter, its fast turn on a dime and a great design of a plane, you could make the wing thinner to increase the speed.

The MVVS 26 motor is a real screamer ( or the one I have ) and since its not for combat I would not add all the reinforcements to the wing.

My MVVS 26 COMBAT runs with 5% nitro spinning a 9x6MAS 18K with the mini pipe or 9x7MAS 16,5K, I am very eager to see what it would do with a APC 8.5x7.75 pylon prop..

wow now you have me all excited, I'll have to go see if there is and 25 size pylon races at the club...
Old 08-28-2003, 05:20 AM
Silly me

Frank

I think the dogfighter might even out fly a Quickee 500, these planes are almost beginner pylon ships also they have size restrictions and min wing size, and, and, and, ... if you aren't worried about size limitations you'll have a great beginner plane.

The Quickee500 will out turn most spad designs, and thats the biggest advantage these ships have.
Old 08-28-2003, 05:37 AM
FrankC29

The reason I would go with the HOR design is the simplicity and durability of the rail over the PVC, and the V-tail. When I fly my HOR, I am amazed at it's tracking and turning ability, and always wondered how it would do with a larger engine. HOWEVER, Dogfighters, or really any Class B Spad with a short spar would all do fine, if everyone is flying the same thing. Sounds like fun!
Old 08-29-2003, 12:46 AM
rsieminski

Shorty-sickle like, used a straight wing, a .32sx with a MCP 100mph easy, and will exit a turn almost as fast as it enters it. Even deadsticks nice:

HOR-like, with a .40 and MCP also over 100mph, The most stable, predictable plane, with a little expo, very comfortable to fly fast:
Old 03-30-2004, 04:42 PM
spadflyer

Default RE: SPAD for pylon Racing?

Thats a sweat plane. Do you have the plans for it.

Brandon
Old 03-30-2004, 11:06 PM
spadflyer

The top one
Old 03-30-2004, 11:30 PM
SHOCKWAVE 1

Hi there dude im flying out of Humber Valley Radio Controled Flyers club in Toronto Canada and we have a lot of Mig7's and are concidering using that scale combat plane for plyon raceing they are prety quick :-)
Old 03-31-2004, 12:09 AM
wildnloose

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My 2 cents...

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/Toda...1665427/tm.htm

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/Yest...1626483/tm.htm