Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design
Reload this Page >

2012 SPAD Pylon racing schedule

Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

2012 SPAD Pylon racing schedule

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 04:10 PM
bw5493
My Feedback: (36)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 SPAD Pylon racing schedule

As some of you may know, we at the Boise Area Remote Kontrol Society have been racing Simple Plastic Airplane Designs (SPADS) in AMA recognized 2 pylon, club type fashion. It has caught on, and we have climbed from 5 racers the first year, to 3 Idaho clubs, and approaching 25 pilots now. We are kicking off our 3rd season, and have events this year in Boise, again in Twin Falls, and for the first time, Idaho Falls.
So why SPADS?
They are cheap, quick to build, and extremely durable!! The fuselages are PVC downspout, and the wings/tail are 2 and 4mm sign material. The Spars are two .89 cent ACE yard sticks! That's it, all there is to it. The control surfaces are gapless too!
The plans are free at www.spadtothebone.com ,and we run the DPS or Das Plas Stick as you see in the picture attached. They are very easy to fly, and landings slow right down, yet with a .52 ASP or Magnum, we have seen 80 MPH on a radar gun. The .52 ASP runs $62 with free shipping from Hobbypartz.com!! Perfect plane for those fun fly's, and they are all weather, and can be flown in rain, sleet etc (although a transmitter mitt is a good idea)
The race dates are:
The Twin Falls pylon race event will be May 12th. Starts about 10am. Entry fee of $10 will also buy all the food we have to offer. We will also have a couple of other events such as an egg drop event after the racing. Any member of another club is welcome to attend our race and fun day events. AMA required. Planes must be a SPAD DPS as described in the BARKS rules from last year with one exception. We will allow the plane to be modified to a tail dragger. Pylons are 450 feet apart. Point of contact is Olen Forman, club president, email [email protected].

The Idaho Falls race is on for 21 July. Same rules as Boise. They have a 96db limit, so we need to be mind full. I believe tail draggers are allowed as well, provided no significant speed over stock. The .50-.55 size engine OS and ASP/Magnums with sock muffler, and 11x7.5 prop typically meets the db level. Point of contact is jim Williams, email: [email protected]

Boise: On for Sept 8th, gates open at 8:30am, race starts at 10am

I have attached this year’s BARKS rules, please let me know if you have any questions. Please note we have made a couple changes from previous, mostly in regards to wheels and engines/prop. This is to keep everyone pretty closely matched outside of pilot skill. Also our sister clubs look at us as a guide line, so it is also intended to make it simple for all of us with respect to their club limitations such as noise. We don't want to have to make changes in order for you to fly at any one of the 3 events.

I am the point of contact for Boise, and you can contact me with any questions. Email: [email protected]

So build a SPAD this weekend since the weather is lousy, and come join us in the fun, you won’t be sorry!!

Hope to see you at one of the races, if not, build a SPAD anyway…..you’ll be hooked.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tq48694.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	247.4 KB
ID:	1739591  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Cx75331.pdf (16.0 KB, 40 views)
Old 03-21-2012, 08:55 AM
Gravityisnotmyfriend
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: 2012 SPAD Pylon racing schedule

Did you know that there is a SPAD designed as a .25 sized pylon racer?

Everything you need to know - as well as the build up to the SPADFest races last year can be found HERE

Nothing wrong with using a DPS as a racer, though. They're great all around planes. But, I like the club racer better for pylons.

Glad to see the SPAD activity out there in Idaho. Too bad you guys are so far from IA - there'll be some SPAD pylon racing in June.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:06 PM
bw5493
My Feedback: (36)

Default RE: 2012 SPAD Pylon racing schedule

Yeah, we have seen those, and they are pretty cool! I have one modified with a straight non tapered wing and an OS .32. But we have been using the venerable DPS becuase some folks have a tough time getting 2mm coro, and dislike ordering over the phone I guess. Plus the plane serves tripple duty as a dog fighter, fun fly's/ foul weather, and pylon racer. Some of our pilots are older and have a tough time with smaller planes, and we wanted something with a little speed to it. So DPS with a .52 swinging a 11x7.5 at 14K moves out around 80mph, yet still lands like a big trainer....which a few still need I think..lol

Right now, between the 3 clubs, spanning 300 miles, we have 30+ SPAD racers now, and that is growing. I have heard from a couple guys in Ontario, Oregon who wish to jump in, and they too are looking at putting in a race next year! I hope to get folks down in the Salt Lake area going too, as it's only a 5 hour drive from here, as well as Tri-cities (Kenniwick, Pasco, Richland) in Washington.

Your more than welcome to come join in!!