Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

NEW SPAD GLUES?

Old 05-18-2012, 07:06 AM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default NEW SPAD GLUES?

Just wondered if anyone has found any new methods of glueing. I was wondering specifically about PVC plumbing glue because it somewhat dissolves the plastic a bit and is similar to corro. There are different kinds for PVCto ABS and PVC to itself. Any plumbers to experiment? I don't have the white drains in my house. Also twofaced tape. I tried some thin maybe 1/16" foam tape that worked ok on a test after cleaning with acetone and scotchbrite. There are also some thin double sidedcello tapes that might work. I was thinking of using them for mylar over foam wings. Hot glue for trailing edges might cool too fast for a good bond. I kind of like the PU glue cleaned with acetone and woodpeckered but don't want to wait so long and know about the flashing and CA dots. Maybe real hot rollers to heat seal and squeeze the trailing edge? I don't like the shape that the wings take on from the lap joint using up an inch for the joint. Just thinking out loud and out of the box here. I heard from a combat guy that he mixed PU glue with water and spread it over the inside leading edge before folding to make it stronger in crashes. Any other half baked ideas that may work better?
Old 05-20-2012, 07:42 AM
blindfaithnogod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: NEW SPAD GLUES?

I like this stuff when gluing coro to just about anything.

http://www.amazon.com/E6000-Adhesive.../dp/B00178MO58

you can get it at wal-mart in the craft section..... and probably any other similar store or hobby store
Old 05-20-2012, 08:11 AM
aspeed

Is it fuel proof?  The reviews say it is flexible, that is probably good if it still sticks.  Is it good for Coro to Coro?
Old 05-21-2012, 05:21 AM
stumblebum2

I have been spadding for 3 years. I have built3 BUHOR's (this is a good flying and my favorite plane), 3 Spadette's (lost 1, fly 1 training my grandson, and have 1 for sale), a Demon, Andy Erwin's Coyote, ukchris' Blackhawk, Spadflyer's Spadboy, 2 of Sean Olfeste's Migs,2 Dogfighters (1 for me and one for a friend),and one or two I have probably forgotten about. I have used the E-6000 on all of them almost exclusively. I have had no trouble with any joints coming loose. As mentioned earlier, the only drawback is letting the joint cure at least 24 hours. I do flash, woodpecker,clean and clamp each joint.The pressure must help.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:10 AM
Mike in DC

It's not new, but I've always use the Loctite CA primer for coroplast: http://www.amazon.com/Loctite-LOC-18.../dp/B001OBQ8VO

But I also clamp for 24 hours. In my last test, the joints are stronger than the coroplast.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:36 AM
draftman1

ORIGINAL: stumblebum2

I have been spadding for 3 years. I have built 3 BUHOR's (this is a good flying and my favorite plane), 3 Spadette's (lost 1, fly 1 training my grandson, and have 1 for sale), a Demon, Andy Erwin's Coyote, ukchris' Blackhawk, Spadflyer's Spadboy, 2 of Sean Olfeste's Migs, 2 Dogfighters (1 for me and one for a friend), and one or two I have probably forgotten about. I have used the E-6000 on all of them almost exclusively. I have had no trouble with any joints coming loose. As mentioned earlier, the only drawback is letting the joint cure at least 24 hours. I do flash, woodpecker, clean and clamp each joint. The pressure must help.

you still have the coyote eh? awesome!!!!!

there is a glue/flashing video on youtube, "draftman3" i think is the username there,

I have also used 3M tape with good results, its for attaching trim pieces to a vehicle's exterior, the "draco" build video also shows that

Old 05-23-2012, 07:04 PM
stumblebum2

Yep. Still got the Coyote.
Hope to build the 4 Star eventually.
Meanwhile, there is always another plane on the building board.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:34 AM
aspeed

I tried a little test with the E6000 I bought.  I just cleaned the coro with wax and grease remover and didn't use scotchbright or the woodpecker and it took a fair tug to pull apart but peeled off.  Next I will prepare it better to see how it goes. Seems comparable to PU glue but doesn't foam up.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:17 AM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well. no one has said it yet, but Weldwood solvent based contact cement has worked the best for me, having tried all the rest including silicone glues. Most important is to "flash" the surfaces with a propane torch before applyiing glues. This not to burn off any greases or such, but to ionize the surface to make it receptive to the glues. Look it up on one of the more informative Corro building sites.

Good luck.,
Old 05-24-2012, 10:27 AM
aspeed

I don't want to use the contact cement because I have one that has separated and needed to be reglued with PU.  It did hold good for ten years though. I guess that is pretty good for SPAD stuff really.
Old 05-25-2012, 03:00 AM
lecrote
My Feedback: (1)

I read somewhere that the e6000 glue is the same thing as GOOP glue!

Dan
Old 09-27-2012, 07:40 AM
CaptKAOS
My Feedback: (7)

I have used silicone based caulk in the past with good results. Bought it in the tubes and used a caulking gun... I learned this from a friend that used it.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:00 AM
CaptKAOS
My Feedback: (7)

Wal Mart used to sell a product called Welder. It was the same stuff as that E6000. Just recently I went looking for it, but couldn't find it.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:58 AM
Spadinator

Ace hardware had welder a couple of months ago........
Old 09-27-2012, 12:09 PM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have been quite partial to using high temperature hot glue.
I bought a batch of Duratac Hot glue sticks to use along with my heavy duty 200w  Ad Tech Pro200 hot glue gun and it really glues the coroplast down good.  The trick is to touch both surfaces with the hot glue as you sort of run a bead along the length. The higher temps help the glue to bond to the plastic. The glue bonds are strong enough that the plastic tends to tear and break before the glue does. Plus the high temperature glue doesn't soften up sitting in the back of the car as much as the low temperature glue does.
Also it might be better but more expensive is the Acrilux glue sticks and the Polymide glue sticks. But since the Duratac glue sticks work so well, I never pursued the other ones. The Duratac glue sticks are a professional item so they come in larger boxes and the stuff at the arts and craft store.

I always wondered what the Airplane Factory used for their glue as my old Combat Airmadillos are still holding up and the glue joints are still holding for the most part and those planes are like 22 years old now. it looks like some sort of a contact cement or rubber glue and is dark brown in color. Unfortunately they went out of business after Hurricane Katrina destroyed their building. So I can't ask them.

Old 10-14-2012, 04:48 AM
jaav

I use the cheap Red Dot Special, 8 for $3 packs.. for a few years now. Haven't had a problem yep...its the amount you use is critical..
Old 10-16-2012, 03:52 AM
slamn sammy

I use med CA with lite kicker, PVC glue works best and will not come apart, BUT! You 'MUST' do all the gluing outside. I build in the house and my wife trys to run me outside with CA KICKER. When I use PVC glue, I don't use the primer, BUT! It will work faster! If you use CA, Liteley sand the part that you are going to glue. Hope this helped you. Good Luck
Old 10-16-2012, 06:57 AM
aspeed

Is that the clear plumbing stuff? The yellow is the ABS right?
Old 10-16-2012, 07:11 AM
slamn sammy

Yes, the clear is what you need. The yellow is not that good and it drys and stays yellow! Try that and Len me know, how it works for you.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:44 AM
aspeed

I'll have to buy some clear.  I had suspicions that the clear would be the right thing, but never bought any because we only have used the black pipe in any house that I have had.(like ten of them) I believe it dissolves the plastic somewhat as well as glueing, sort of like welding or hot melt glue.  I just did a test piece of the yellow and will see the results tomorrow, but it is the wrong thing.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:03 PM
slamn sammy

YA, the yellow is not real good. The clear dries quicker and the thinner you use it the faster it drys! On an ABS cowl, GO REAL LIGHTLEY! It will melt the ABS and warp it. When Linier sold the ARF'S years ago, The kit came with a small bottle of glue that was thin, like water. You used a small brush and it would melt the ABS quick. I was told that it was acetone. I have not experimented with ABS, I have not built a kit in years. To lazy! Now that we have better ARF's and most things are fiberglass! I kind of lied, I have been known to build ABS wheel pants, BUT! I CA, them and then use epoxy and fiberglass. GOOD LUCK and remember to go lightley and if you use plumber clear glue, If you use plumber primer it will dry on contack! LATER DUD! ':~)
Old 10-16-2012, 05:20 PM
aspeed

The yellow is definitely no good.  The clear stuff will take a while.  I have to buy some.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:09 AM
slamn sammy

Just remember to use it out side or open a windo and use a fan, Don't won't read abuot a guy found dead "don't know why! looks like he was working on a model airplane and just fail over, more at 11.00" LOL BE CAREFUL WITH THAT STUFF! ':~)
Old 10-19-2012, 05:15 PM
aspeed

I tried the clear PVC stuff.  It just peels off both faces real easy.  Nice smell, MEK I think.  Now I got $3. 50 worth of glue to find another use for.  I like the PU  that foams up with the woodpecker tool, or the hot glue gun for corners so far in the tests.
Old 10-20-2012, 03:12 AM
slamn sammy

I don't get it? Just tru med ca with kicker and lightly sand bought parts. That's whai I do, It'beem a long time ago that I used plumbers glue. Sorry that did not work.':~/

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.