Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

GMSEngines

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2004, 07:51 PM
3d-aholic
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GMSEngines

Ok, I wasn't impressed with the Tower motor nor how long it took to get it. I'm going to return it and get one of the gms engines.

I'm a little concerned though about ordering from GMSEngines.com. They don't answer my emails. I placed the order...but I didn't get any order confirmation or anything. There is no phone number....so there is no-one to call and ask about anything. So someone please reassure me. I'm happy to pay $5-10 to talk with a real person and get some kind of guarantee....

A $70-75 paperweight that arrives broken in the mail and noone to call is worthless........
Old 01-02-2004, 09:07 PM
RichD

Default RE: GMSEngines

Call our technical support personnel at 626.359-0016. Technical support is normally available (production requirements allowing) Monday thru Friday between 8:00 A.M. to 11:30 A.M. and then from 1:30 to 4:00 P.M. This is Pacific Time. We are closed for lunch and administrative needs from 11:30 A.M. to 1:30 P.M. or...

You may send us a fax at 626.301.0298 (be sure to include your return fax number and country code, if applicable!); or...

You may write to our technical support. (If you do e-mail, you will receive an answer but RARELY IMMEDIATELY. We receive a significant amount of senseless e-mail (where answers are on the website) that slows everything down for everyone. Because of this, you hay have to wait for an answer, or...

Finally, you can write via regular mail at: MECOA Model Products -- P.O. Box 98 -- Sierra Madre, CA 91025 U.S.A.
Old 01-02-2004, 09:41 PM
flipa10

gmsengines.com equals not mecoa.com!?
Old 01-02-2004, 09:48 PM
Daddyo57
My Feedback: (15)

My understanding is that Lee is a private party, he is a very nice man and very dependable. He does refer you to Mecoa for servive however. Too Much, you will not regret your choice to buy the GMS. I am not sure how they run with the stock muffler as mine came with the "Can" muffler from Lee. I bought 2 of them and have only ran one of them so far but it runs VERY well. Use the ACP 12.25x3.75 prop on your SPAD3D for best hover, keep the engine rich at first and slightly rich after break in due to running in the Vertical position.
Old 01-02-2004, 09:55 PM
flipa10

Thanks for clarification. GMS are great. I have the 47 on a profile spad that slept in a tree in the rain for two days. Cleaned out, no rust, runs well. A 12x4 MAS is good choice as well.
Old 01-02-2004, 09:55 PM
RichD

maybe I misread then? oooops
Old 01-02-2004, 09:57 PM
flipa10

RichD ...you are with mecoa? Those are great engines as well. What do you do with all the trades? Never need fishing weights?
Old 01-02-2004, 09:57 PM
3d-aholic

Ok...but I want to make sure I'm getting the tuned muffler. It shows that as the picture of the engine on the website at gmsengines.com. I'm not worried so much on Mecoa standing behind their product after 30 days.

I'm trying to get Mr. Lee to return my email. You place the order and there is no confirmation email...I don't have much assurance that I'm getting the right engine or the muffler....that it is New In Box or anything. Can't call....theres no phone #.

Right now HobbyTown is running a sale on Magnum 46's for $69.99 and in California with Ground delivery I would get that in 2 days from LA.... Plus I get a 30 day guarantee from HobbyTown that I'm not going to be sent a used engine or something.

Lee, if you read the forum, please get with me on this order so as to make sure we are on the same page.
Old 01-02-2004, 10:16 PM
Daddyo57

If you buy the GMS from Tower Hobbies, you will NOT get the tuned muffler. Lee sells his engines with the tuned "can" muffler for 75.00 each delivered to your house by mail. Tower sells the muffler separate for 15 bucks or so.
Old 01-02-2004, 10:31 PM
ChrisSpad

I've bought 4 engines from Lee. They've all been GMS's. 2 47's, and 2 76's. All 4 great engines, and were shipped very promptly. I have nothing but good things to say about Lee. I've spoke to him on the phone on several occasions about different things (like engines he donated to give away at Spadfest) , and he's a heck of a nice guy. I'm not sure if he keeps up with this forum or not, and i know he's had computer problems in the past, but, he's always returned every email i've sent him.
He is a GMS dealer, but like said above, does use Mecoa (the US importer) for service.
Keep in mind his prices include shipping, while Tower's do not. As far as the muffler goes, all four of the ones i bought had the tuned muffler (larger version on the 76's).

I don't think you'll find anyone who has a bad thing to say about Lee, he is a great guy, and a fellow spadder to boot.
Old 01-02-2004, 10:32 PM
3d-aholic

Ok, but with Tower I know the engine will get here. And if there is something wrong, I can call them and they will stand behind the sale or returned my money.

The only contact I have with this Lee fella is his email, no phone #, and the email just got bounced back.

----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
<[email protected]>

----- Transcript of session follows -----
... while talking to air-xk01.mail.aol.com.:
>>> RCPT To:<[email protected]>
<<< 550 MAILBOX NOT FOUND
550 <[email protected]>... User unknown

I don't feel comfortable with this anymore...and I can't even cancel the order here before it gets shipped. I'm ready to go with the Magnum from HobbyPeople but now I feel like I'm already out my money here with no recourse.

Has anyone else bought from Lee?
Old 01-02-2004, 10:46 PM
DLSmith2

2MuchThrow,

Try [email protected] and I think you'll get a better response.

Blue skies,
DL
Old 01-02-2004, 10:47 PM
ChrisSpad

thats not his email address. its [email protected] .
Old 01-02-2004, 10:57 PM
flipa10

That's where my 47 is from...Lee. Not a problem with buying from him. Best deal with the tuned muffler and shipping. Send mail to the above address. Lee will answer. A few of us are probably mailing him as well to "help out".

Flip
Old 01-03-2004, 12:07 AM
Daddyo57

Have some faith in your fellow flyers!!! Lee even takes Pay Pal !!! he is very accomodating and trustworthy!!!
some people may feel safer buying from Tower, but recently I bought a Kadett Senior ARF (for my son) from them, it was broken, TOWER refered me to SIG and wouldnt touch it!!! SIG took care of it and Tower got the money! it is the same everywhere Too Much. I know Lee travels alot and he likes to golf. He even turned me on to a local place to get Coroplast. I would buy from him AGAIN with no hesitation.[8D]
Old 01-03-2004, 01:56 AM
RichD

ORIGINAL: flipa10

RichD ...you are with mecoa? Those are great engines as well. What do you do with all the trades? Never need fishing weights?

no, sorry for not clarifying that was just a copy/past from the link provided by gmsengines.com that I followed there.

sorry once again.
Old 01-03-2004, 02:28 AM
Topeka Tom

While I was on vacation a couple of years ago, a bunch of guys got together and arranged for Lee to send a couple of GMS .47s to an unexpectant Tattoo and Kraut.

Since then, Tattoo and Kraut have had nothing but good things to say about the GMS engines.

Probably just coincidence??? I dunno, I'm just still steamed because I wanted to pitch in and arrived home too late. That might have been 2001. Anybody remember 2001???? OK, then, anybody remember 2002????
Old 01-03-2004, 10:29 AM
3d-aholic

Yes...wrong email...Sorry bad cut and past from the website...my bad.

When I opened my Tower .46. I was not impressed. In the past, I've bought nothing but OS....and typically I don't like to skimp on the engines. They usually last and last. The casting was much poor quality than in the OS. The anodization looked like it was very temporary. The remote needle value looked very cheap and like it was going to leak. I was not impressed with how the carb attaches to the engine. Why does the carb need two o-ring seals. And, the sleeve that extends into the exhaust hole reminds me of the fox. The tuned muffler well it seemed very, very heavy....like the tradeoff in performance was going to be at the expense of a lot of added weight.

The GMS looks to be very similar. I really think that GMS builds for Tower. Heck the Made in China is even stamped on the same place on the engine. I need to think about this some more.

I think my hesitance is more towards getting a GMS and not wanting it. I'm sure that buying for a single guy is going to be all sales are final.
Old 01-03-2004, 10:53 AM
ChrisSpad

if you didn't like the tower engine, then you won't like the gms. Weightwise, its the same weight as a 46 fx. I've got enough of both to know, they both weigh 17 oz with the muffler. Powerwise, the gms wins by about 1000 rpm. They aren't as easy to tune as the 46 fx, thats for sure. But, i've liked both of mine. Not sure what you mean about the sleeve in the exhaust. That must be something new, the gms's and os's that i have are identical, as far as i can tell. The anodize is as good as any out there. It won't flake off (or at least it hasn't on mine, or any that i've seen) but it will wear off over time.
As far as the 2 orings on the carb, thats a new one to me as well, but, seeing as how thats one of the most common places for an engine to leak, i'd think that another oring to help seal it up was a good idea, not a bad one.
Something else that's different on the GMS is that the back plate is oringed as well.
If you want a 46fx, quit whining about it and buy one.

Matter of a fact, i take it all back, you won't be happy with anything but a 46fx, so everything else out there is junk. Go get a 46fx and be done with it, and quit wasting our time.
Old 01-03-2004, 11:35 AM
3d-aholic

Yeh, that was my thinking too.

Thanks.
Old 01-03-2004, 01:33 PM
Cajun

For informational purposes only:

Mecoa states in their warranty on GMS, they only warranty to the original purchaser, which in this case would be Lee. This is plainly spelled out on their web site, and if you have a problem they will plainly quote it to you. And if you need parts you will have to rely on Mecoa, which is ???????????

So if you have a problem you would have to look to Lee for service,,,,,and he has none. Granted he may be a nice guy, great spadder, fellow R/Cr,,,,but he is not a full service engine retailer, and I think if you could get hold of him he would tell you so.

As in all other transactions, LET THE BUYER BEWARE!!

Cajun[8D]
Old 01-03-2004, 02:33 PM
flipa10

Matter of a fact, i take it all back, you won't be happy with anything but a 46fx, so everything else out there is junk. Go get a 46fx and be done with it, and quit wasting our time.

Chris,

It doesn't matter how much experience you have flying model airplanes, that is not assistance and un-called for. No need to be rude. If you don't have something constructive to add, why bother. He only wastes your time because you allow him to waste it.

Flip
Old 01-03-2004, 04:15 PM
novabill

I'm with Chris on this one.

2much, you keep talking about being thrifty and when you get a good deal on something, you bash it. Did you run the Tower, or GMS?
Maybee you should just go buy your OS and be done with it

William[sm=tired.gif]
Old 01-03-2004, 05:04 PM
3d-aholic

Oh Bill your always sucking up to a few select spadders. I don't think being rude is helpful to anyone and makes you look stupid...I didn't respond negatively to Chris because I think his immature response spoke for itself.

But you Bill, your nice guy that should not stoop down to this level and get some toilet paper for your nose.
Old 01-03-2004, 05:06 PM
Daddyo57

I am with Chris and Bill, for Gods sake!!!! Please go buy an OS for all our sanity ok?[>:]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.