Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design
Reload this Page >

SPA3DEFI-PROFILE-Flight Report & Pics

Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

SPA3DEFI-PROFILE-Flight Report & Pics

Old 05-02-2004, 12:19 PM
SDR-Hammer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SPA3DEFI-PROFILE-Flight Report & Pics

Novabill, I’m in the process of building a plane similar to your design, just need to get to the LHS for parts to finish. In the process I cut new tail feathers, borrowing your design using counter balance controls, for my QHOR. I flew it the other day and the counter balances on the elevator failed, folding back, breaking the bamboo skewers used for strengthening measures.

Just curious what you have done to prevent this?

Also can you post those pics and the Cad you mentioned?
Old 05-03-2004, 07:16 AM
novabill

ORIGINAL: SDR-Hammer

Novabill, I’m in the process of building a plane similar to your design, just need to get to the LHS for parts to finish. In the process I cut new tail feathers, borrowing your design using counter balance controls, for my QHOR. I flew it the other day and the counter balances on the elevator failed, folding back, breaking the bamboo skewers used for strengthening measures.

Just curious what you have done to prevent this?

Also can you post those pics and the Cad you mentioned?
I will try to find the disk that had the photos of when I redid the fuse. I dont know what to say about the counterbalances I have never had one fail. Were you flying at 100 mph? Is your coro 4mm? some 4mm is not as strong as others, I have a bunch of yellow that is soft and more like 3mm. I have flown mine verry fast at times and never had one bend, especially with the bamboo. I cant get my cad drawings to download, but I can fax the stab to you if you want. Each half has a 10"span the LE has no taper, the root cord is 9" and the tip cord is 6". Then, you hinge it 3" back from the LE and make your cut 6" out from the root. The actual stab half is 6"x3" and the rest is elevator. Let me know if I can help with anything else.
Old 05-03-2004, 11:03 AM
gasrc

Your wing is perfectly flat-top. Does this have any different flight characteristics than the SPA3D wing as illustrated on spadtothebone?

Also, what do I as for when looking for the fuse material? Doing a web search brings up every shape and form known to man, besides the nearly square tube that you used.
Old 05-03-2004, 01:32 PM
novabill

ORIGINAL: gasrc

Your wing is perfectly flat-top. Does this have any different flight characteristics than the SPA3D wing as illustrated on spadtothebone?

Also, what do I as for when looking for the fuse material? Doing a web search brings up every shape and form known to man, besides the nearly square tube that you used.

No incidence problems. You do'nt have to reflex the ailerons up to get it to fly straight and it stays trimmed out within a broader speed envelope.
Old 05-03-2004, 02:36 PM
gasrc

Thanks.

1 mo question

What do I ask for when looking for the fuse material? Doing a web search brings up every shape and form known to man other than the nearly square tube that you used.
Old 05-03-2004, 02:58 PM
novabill

Tractor supply is where I get mine, do you have one of them locally. Electric Fence Post Insulator is what we call it. It is spaced between the main posts of an electric fence
Old 05-03-2004, 04:09 PM
gasrc

ORIGINAL: novabill

Tractor supply is where I get mine, do you have one of them locally. Electric Fence Post Insulator is what we call it. It is spaced between the main posts of an electric fence
Thanks

How about a pic of the raw material, please (as purcahsed)? That way I can just print it and show the salespeople rather than having to unproductively explain it.

All I can find is stuff like [link=http://safefence.com/Hardware_Insulators.htm]THIS[/link]
Old 05-03-2004, 06:36 PM
SDR-Hammer

Thanks for the info. It could have been the way I cut the tips, tried to get a little fancy and probably got some flutter.

That’s what I like about these planes, try something out if it doesn't work cut new pieces, less than five minutes back in business again.
Old 05-03-2004, 07:43 PM
davo74
My Feedback: (1)

Here is how i got rid of the music wire to hold the air foil, i took a piece of 4mm and cut it 12 flutes wide by about 2 inches long, bent it into a u shape and used 3m vhb tape to stick it in. I put on at the end and one in the middle of each wing, seems to work good, and no music wire.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us55183.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	128904  
Old 05-04-2004, 09:02 AM
novabill

ORIGINAL: novabill

Thanks

How about a pic of the raw material, please (as purcahsed)? That way I can just print it and show the salespeople rather than having to unproductively explain it.

All I can find is stuff like [link=http://safefence.com/Hardware_Insulators.htm]THIS[/link]
I will try to stop by TSC and get you a part number and the real name of the stuff today. Here are some pics of the damage caused by a recent crash and the new peices used to fix it. It's a YAK now.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv62997.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	129086   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa86926.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	129087   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk15721.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	129088   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tn32093.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	129089  
Old 05-04-2004, 02:55 PM
gasrc

Thanks. That will be great.

That must have been some crash to damage the front and the rear! What happened?

In one of your new crash pics, it appears the insulator is 1 x 1.5 solid. Or is that just the remains of your engine mount stuffed in the tip? I assumed it was square(ish) tube.
Old 05-04-2004, 08:16 PM
novabill

Thanks. That will be great.

That must have been some crash to damage the front and the rear! What happened?

In one of your new crash pics, it appears the insulator is 1 x 1.5 solid. Or is that just the remains of your engine mount stuffed in the tip? I assumed it was square(ish) tube.
Hee Hee, I can crash with the best of them. I was practicing breaking #9 and had to pull out. The Webra .50 is awesome on this plane and all it took was a split second when I missed the throttle stick to run it up, over my head and into the ground behind me. It hit really hard. Somehow the elevator bent all the way around and was pointing at about 150degrees. My kids (who were standing under the shelter) "safety first" were rolling in the dirt. It really was funny, cause it was a spad. The two old men at the field flying the Cub were really pi**ed at me, but I did'nt care because they were in the pits changing a broken prop and I was 50 yards away. Come to think of it, I do'nt think they ever got the thing up. The motor mount shattered and what you see in the pic is the remains. (It was american chef brand too). The EFI is 1"x 1.5". That's why I use 3/4" foam doubled up.

I will be giving the plane to my good friend Alex in june, as I am starting a new improved plane "The Coro Katana" with a foam fuse and symmetrical wing. I did'nt get to TSC today, hopefully I can go by in the next two days.
Old 05-07-2004, 03:51 PM
gasrc

Hey bill. Did you ever get pics and info on that fuse material?
Old 05-07-2004, 09:37 PM
novabill

Hey bill. Did you ever get pics and info on that fuse material?

sorry man. I will get on it asap
Old 05-12-2004, 12:15 AM
gasrc

bump
Old 05-12-2004, 07:10 AM
novabill

I took on a new job at our other store and have been slammed for the last week. Things are slowing down a little, so if you still need info on the EFI, I should be able to run by TSC tomorrow. Sorry for the delay.
Old 05-14-2004, 12:07 AM
gasrc

That would be sweet!
Old 05-22-2004, 09:08 AM
novabill

Here's a link to the TSC site. The fuse material is called Poly Batten and measures 1 1/2 x 1 1/8 x 49". there is no picture available, but it can be ordered from here.

http://www.mytscstore.com/detail.asp...productID=1627

Sorry about the delay.

I will be starting a new project verry soon, so keep your eyes open.