Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design
Reload this Page >

Spad Building Help Needed !!!!!!!!!

Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

Spad Building Help Needed !!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2004, 05:22 PM
DragonHeart

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spad Building Help Needed !!!!!!!!!

Hi Guys,

Hope someone can give me some insight lol...... ok i got this spad from ebay as a ARFT but this is my first spad, and the instructions were just a few pictures....... and as this is my first spad and i dont know anyone who has one i need some help PLZ ..... Ok these may be simple questions soo please forgive them lol.

Ok ive added 2 pictures below ive got this far.....................

Q-1 : I take it that this takes micro servo's ??? as standard size do not fit in ???????
Q-2 : How do u mount the servos ? i gather u use something like double sided servo tape ????
Q-3 : Where and how do you mount the Batt Pack ? also is it a standard size receiver batt you use ?? the diagram looks like its Inside the wing, but thiers no way its going to fit in thier......???
Q-4 : Do you need to cover the receiver etc to stop glow fuel getting in ??? if so with what ???
Q-5 : Have i mounted the tail right ? thier was a red diagnal bit which as you can see by the pics if mounted infront of the tail ?? is that right as i was thinking it could be a skid or something but couldnt find it anywhere on the diagrams..
Q-6 : When this is up and running whats the best way to hand launch it ??

Ok thats them all soo far, sorry again for so many questions but i have no one else to ask with experience with Spad's...... Thx in adavance for anyhelp anyone can give me
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91252.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	107814   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb90636.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	107815  
Old 03-04-2004, 07:46 PM
TwistedProp
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Spad Building Help Needed !!!!!!!!!

Check out-- Spadtothebone.com-- all kinds of how to`s, I use zip ties to hold most every thing on, that way the zips will break( in an crash or not so perfect landing) and your equipment won`t, believe me I`ve done proved it MANY times!!
Old 03-04-2004, 11:07 PM
Zombie

Twisted Prop has it on the mark. Go to [link=http://www.spadtothebone.com]Spadtothebone[/link]

You'll find all sorts of info and images that will be of help - mounting servos, receivers, fuel tanks, etc..

Take a look at:

[link=http://www.spadtothebone.com/misc/spa3dt.htm]spa3dt[/link]

[link=http://www.spadtothebone.com/SPAD/Qhor/Qhor40/qhor40.html]Qhor40[/link]

And any other planes made with the channel fuse like yours.
Old 03-05-2004, 09:21 AM
Barland

Pics of GNAT building in Minnesota.... we set the CG at 3 3/4 inch. These are Futaba standard servos - either 3003 or 3004 depending on what is on hand. They "press fit" into the channel and are held in with nylon pull ties. The push rods for the ailerons are 2 X 56 rods, but the push rod for the elevator has to be heavier - 4 X 40 used here. On the underside you see where we are using fiberglass rods, the longer one above the channel, the shorter one below. For combat some are adding rods to the leading edge. The leading edge rods are not glued in, just place them before you fold the wing and compression will hold them for you. Hey.. Good Luck DickB

Name:	Xv64252.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	108019   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54792.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	108020  
Old 03-05-2004, 01:09 PM
sahoy

Yep those guys have it. Looks like a gnat to me. here is how i did my gnat using the plans from www.spadtothebone.com under origionals. Mine looks lopsided but the wind was blowing it over

good luck!!!

sahoy

Name:	Bz77550.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	108088   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75880.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	108089  
Old 03-05-2004, 01:44 PM
DragonHeart

Thx for the replys, but the standard servo's dont seem to press fit into the rail................. looks like i will need micro servo's....... also can i ask where u put the Reciever and BATT pack ?? is it under the fuel tank ?????????

The ARTF Gnat i have is made by FX Designs so im told........

Thx
Old 03-05-2004, 02:44 PM
Barland

The standard Futaba 3004 and 3003 servos are .80 inch wide. The channel we are using here in the US is .75 inch wide. But, with a good push the servos slide in and are held really tight - which is nice. The nylon pull ties then cinch them down extra secure.

A couple of GNATS have been build with smaller servos and then the rail was crimped or pinch against them. As to the battery and receiver we have been putting the battery in the gap created underneath when the wing is folded over. Receiver can be mounted on the top of the wing, or if a Hitec Slimline receiver is used it can go beneath. The Slimline Hitec has the plugs coming out the back and it just slides into the wing gap similar to the battery.

Weirdly, it seems that the heavier item, the battery can go on the muffler side of the GNAT, the receiver on the other side of the fueselage and laterial balance is pretty good. I don't undertand why that would be a case, but it's a GNAT and some things just work!

I just saw a suggestion that a small plastic box, say a soap box, can be used to house the receiver. In that case the box can go either below the wing - and then act as a linding skid, or ontop behind the fuel tank.

I'm not sure what that red wedge thing is about, maybe scrap, or just to make it look nice.

As to launching it you can give it soft over hand toss into the wind, have someone do it for you the first time because you will need to trim the plane.. be prepared to us alot of down trim your first fight.

If you are patient sometime this weekend a combat site should have some info and a couple of short videos of launching. It's Wild Wings Combat [link]http://www.wildwingscombat.com[/link], they are just up and running take a look.
DickB