Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design
Reload this Page >

tufflight 4d almost finished

Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

tufflight 4d almost finished

Old 03-11-2004, 01:57 AM
steener

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tufflight 4d almost finished

im just about finished with my 4d and i was wondering if anyone has any flying experience with one. any tips for setup? any mods? hows the "indestructable" 4d hold up?
Old 03-11-2004, 03:18 AM
Silly me

Default RE: tufflight 4d almost finished

I like the SPA3D more

but I flown a new guy's tufflight it was flying great, The rudder just keep tearing off on a hard landing. I think he remove the bottom of the rudder and added a big tail wheel. Now its much better and he didnt lose too much rudder control, he's not able to fly full 3d with the plane so, I dont realy know.

what motor are you using?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57423.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	110196  
Old 03-11-2004, 01:19 PM
msm9724

Hi, very cool plane, will it knife edge, and wich was the web page, thanks

Marcelo
Old 03-11-2004, 05:53 PM
stdun

I seem to one of the rare ones having a hard time flying the 4D. But the good news is that after extensive crash testing I give the plane a solid A+ for durability. The people at Tuffight are great with tips and help, plus they answer emails real quick. I'm not sure why you posted this topic in the SPAD forum though.
Old 03-11-2004, 11:48 PM
steener

im going to run a new os 46fx. im also using a nylon coated cable for the pull pull cord instead. i am also hoping the S3004's hold up to repeated crashing. i posted this here because its made of epp foam and coroplast. where whould you suggest i post this?
Old 03-23-2004, 04:57 PM
Pengineer1

Steener and gang,

Did you finish your 4D? Did you use pull/pulls? I thought about pull/ pulls but thought the plastic bat might have too much flex.

I've had my 4D flying about 5 Saturdays now, and it's definately my all time favorite plane so far. It has a YS .63 on it. I discover new tricks and abilities of the design each session. This past Saturday I tried reversing my flapperon mixing as a buddy suggested so that when the elevators go up the flapperons ALSO go up. I was flying it conventionally so up elevator gave down flap. Anyway, I wanted to try the up with up for a flatter and smoother maneuver I think they call the "elevator" where you throttle back and hold back stick (up elevator) and the plane drops straight down flat as a pancake. Before I had quite a bit of wing rocking as it dropped. This new up with up scenario gives a much flatter elevator maneuver, so I was excited about that. The down flaps with up elevator is still usefull for very tight loops and such, but the up flaps with up elevator is good for other maneuvers- perhaps harriers and hi alpha stuff. Very fun.

I was having so much fun that I dead sticked her again and went into a plowed field at a 30 degree angle. Everybody at the club saw the 4D hit the dirt and flip twice...uh oh. When I went to get her all I found was a broken wheel on landing gear. (I like Kavan wheels so I can do powerslides on our paved runway...) There was absolutely no damage otherwise- not even a crease or scratch. About 4 or 5 guys crowded around back in the pits expecting damage...

Another new maneuver I've been working on is basically a tail touch- I like to do a harrier landing and just roll the tail wheel a foot or two and then throttle up and take off again without letting the main gears touch.

I built Tufflights skis for my 4D and it hasn't snowed here in Colorado since, so maybe you guys freezing in the East ought to try this too.

I really think this 4D is an incredible hybrid- I builds pretty fast like a SPAD, light wingloading like as my old Profile planes (my 4D with YS is only 4.75 lbs), VERY Crash resistant like a combat plane or SPAD, Crisp, smooth flight like a built up plane...