Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design
Reload this Page >

tufflight 4d finished w/pics

Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

tufflight 4d finished w/pics

Old 03-27-2004, 07:08 AM
Pengineer1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: tufflight 4d finished w/pics

Right on, Steener! Good job! There's almost nothing better than the feeling you get when you have built a new airplane...you finally get to take it out to the field...you conquer your "first-flight-jitters"...and...she flies great!

Thanks for posting your results. I started wondering if I hadn't "bragged too much" in my posts about the 4D because I wasn't seeing any replies...either guys were thinking I was an undercover agent for Tufflight or there just weren't any other guys who had built and flown the 4D!

What muffler are you using on your .46? That's a fantastic motor!! You definately get something for the extra $ on the FX's...

I love how damage resistant these birds are. I guess I should throw a couple extra bamboo skewers in the flight box. I also love that I could replace either tail surface or keel pieces in 2 minutes...or we could experiment by changing the surface areas on the tail pieces!...

I have all my gear ready to fly this AM but I hear some high winds blowing out there...I may have to do something else and wait for a calmer day...yes, I could fly the 4D in high wind...or I could go fly my slope glider!! Hmmm...
Old 03-27-2004, 08:35 AM
steener

im just using the stock muffler. i havent experimented much with mufflers. would i get alot more power using something else or removing the baffle?
Old 03-27-2004, 12:36 PM
Pengineer1

Well yes, you'd get more RPMs and better throttle response with a Mousse can muffler. I've been having fun making and tinkering with these over the past couple of months. You'd save some nose weight with a MCP over the stock muffler, which will probably be a good thing to try after you really start getting comfortable with your 4D, but if your current muffler is giving you plenty of power obviously you don't have to change it right away. Do a search on these forums and you'll find good help on how to make one.
Old 03-27-2004, 08:23 PM
steener

i took my 4d to the field again today. i was doing some low altitude manuvers when a wing tip hit the ground and it cartwheeled. it landed right side up and i took off again. my friend was amazed as was i. i flew about 9 flights with the worst being a broken prop. most of my landings were impromtu and less than perfect. i even had one dead stick from a low idle setting and it just glided in. this plane is sooo much fun.
Old 03-27-2004, 08:28 PM
ChrisSpad

I used to have a Dino, with a gms 47 on it. With a 9x8 or 9x7 it absolutely screamed. Anyway, here's a little secret that i found was good for a bunch of top end. Put a 3" spinner on the plane. It really helps cut down on the drag. Why? beats me, but it sure made my top end much better.
Old 03-28-2004, 01:29 AM
Ultimate99

steener, sounds like you did a good job building and are reaping the rewards. Thanks for the info.
Old 03-29-2004, 12:56 PM
3d-aholic
My Feedback: (7)

Can I ask how they rigged up that push/pull system on the rudder and elevator...I would like to add that full flying tail surfaces to a spad I'm building.

It looks like flexible control rods with horns on either side of the surface for the rudder right?
But the elevator looks like just horns on the bottom, right?

I'm surprised that works...seems like the control wire would eventually run into the control surface on one side and cause a problem....

I would really dig a close-up picture of the tail..
Old 05-08-2004, 09:39 AM
slagburn

it is push/pull on ailerons only. Elevator halves use a soldered Y joiner. Both aileron and elevator use nyrod tubes.

I got mine finished up last night and the thing is a freaking tank! 5.5 pounds, built by the book to the "T" except for the Magnum .61 on it, which is all I had laying around. All standard servos too. I know that's a heavy engine, but not THAT heavy.. the thing looks like it wants to implode under its own weight.
Old 05-08-2004, 02:22 PM
Ultimate99

That IS pretty heavy. How much does that engine weigh? I just checked 4D again (the very plane the instructions were made with) and it's exactly 4lb 11oz. However it now has about 3 ounces more of corplast, because of the new scale like fuse I'm trying. The only other factor besides the engine could be the amount of glue. It is hard to explain what the correct amount should be and it can make a difference of several ounces.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74874.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	130288  
Old 05-08-2004, 11:11 PM
Pengineer1

Slagburn,

Sorry to hear...sounds like you're kind of discouraged with your 4D...

Where do you fly? I fly at the Love Air field on hwy 14 almost every weekend- in fact we were out there this afternoon and I was flying my 4D. If you like we could go flying together and you'd have the chance to see how well the 4D flies. Mine came out a little lighter than yours, it sounds like, but I've also noticed weigh scales can often be pretty innaccurate...I've been nothing but pleased with my plane. I've had Morris profiles, SPADs, and lots of others, and no, I won't say the 4D is better than all others in every way, but I like the phenomenal control response the 4D has, better than ANYTHING I've flown, and then it's second greatest quality, it's bounceability. No, it doesn't float in the air like my balsa profiles did, but it does fly much lighter than my QHOR SPAD. You float the 4D with the prop and high angle of attack...

I've been flying quite trouble free for the 3 or 4 months I've had my 4D. Just a few pretty hard landings on deadsticks. I've been trying to push myself harder, realizing this thing oughtta be able to take it, I want to learn to tail touch, etc. Today it seems my luck was running out- First flight of the day I broke an aileron cable...kinda doggy flying but I didn't know what was wrong...got her down OK and fixed it. Second flight had a nasty crosswind on takeoff and she pivoted on takeoff and a big clump of high grass grabbed one half of my stabilizer- broke it off to hang from the pushrod...flopping in the breeze. Now it's really flying squirrely... I "crash landed" it as soon as I could get it cranked around...and it did a nice big cartwheel bounce...OK now we'll see what she'll take...just a broken nylon bolt! The elevator half split out a flute and I didn't have any scrap coroplast, so I just cleaned it well and taped it closed again and flew three more good flights, no problem. My balsa planes would have required some major repair work...

Anyway, maybe throw your scale away and go have some fun. I'll bet it'll fly fine.
Old 05-08-2004, 11:18 PM
Pengineer1

Ultimate99,

That scale fuse looks pretty cool! Does it fly just as well? Can you convert a stock 4D over pretty quick and easy?

Are some of you guys coming to the Mid West Slope Challenge this next week? Bringing 4D? Do you need accomodations? We're taking my work's RV and will probably have some extra room...If you're coming I spoze you're probably already set up...

Bill
Old 05-08-2004, 11:55 PM
wind junkie
My Feedback: (1)

Hi Bill,

We're going to offer a scale option on the 4D fuselages and supply templates and corplast for either version. I don't think it does KE stuff as well but it may spin better than the stock version. I need more time on the new plane to be sure.

Yep, driving out to Lake Wilson Monday. Sent you a PM.

Joe
Old 05-14-2004, 02:02 PM
slagburn

I had heard there was another one locally, I'd like to see it fly sometime. Unfortunately about an hour after the last post I went outside where the 4d was sitting in my car with windows up. Yep, severely heat warped ailerons and wiffle ball bat. Not to mention the loosest covering I've ever seen. So I flew it that evening anyway, err tried to. It was so far out of trim I crashed 3 times before I was able to calm it down. Then I had some engine problems. I will say it is very durable, it went straight in from 20 feet and broke 1 nylon bolt!
I have the new ailerons on it now and will try it again this evening at Jax.
Old 05-23-2004, 09:05 AM
wind junkie
My Feedback: (1)

Bummer on the covering. Yea, that's a big no no. Planes are like pets when it comes to leaving them in hot cars.