Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

best "2nd plane" SPAD?

Old 03-18-2004, 02:36 PM
WhiteKnuckles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best "2nd plane" SPAD?

I know the "2nd Plane" threads go on forever in the world of Balsa. However, I'm looking for a second plane to really test myself with before flying my balsa low wing sport plane. I fly a balsa trainer that I've increased the throws on and converted to a taildragger.

The issue is, I really like the instructions for the DPS (I'm using a TT46 Pro) and I think a stick plane would be great to perform aggressive flying and aerobatics that my trainer can't. I'm just not sure if I should be considering a low-wing SPAD. I'm a little nervous about the build process as the instructions for many of them are not so intuitive. THE DPS instructions seem very thorough.

If you've got a favorite SPAD with good instructions, low wing or not, that you think would be a great second plane for a capable novice, please reply.

Lastly, where can I buy coroplast and proper gutter pipe in Calgary? Home Depot has neither.
Old 03-18-2004, 02:49 PM
FrankC29

Default RE: best "2nd plane" SPAD?

Actually the DPS is a high wing plane, and it is the perfect second plane. You can really fly the tar out of it. Same thing goes for the Dominator if you have only 4mm coro. An example of a low wing plane on the Spad website would be the Demon.
Old 03-18-2004, 03:24 PM
Spadinator

I have a DPS and it is wonderful. You can fly it really tame if you want or tear the skies up. I am running an OS MAX 40 bb on mine and it has plenty of power!!!
Old 03-18-2004, 04:27 PM
WhiteKnuckles

Thanks guys. Next questions:

How much coroplast do I need to buy?

How do you "cover" coro?

What are the dimensions of the gutter pipe (width - Home Depot only had that big, grooved plastic gutter pipe)?

Do you need to "flash" it?
Old 03-18-2004, 06:32 PM
Mike in DC

ORIGINAL: WhiteKnuckles
The issue is, I really like the instructions for the DPS
DPS instructions are awesome. In fact, they are why I'm into Spad. Not having much building experience, I found the instructions for the planes prior to the DPS to leave too much to my own resources. With the DPS, Tattoo spells out every single step of construction (much better than the kits I've built). All you have to do is follow it and get a great plane. THEN, the real fun begins, as you make little enhancements and modifications here and there on the next one.

After you build the DPS, you'll have all the experience you need to build the low wing plane or the pizza box you've got your eye on. On the other hand, the DPS will fly so well you might not want to move on. That's what happened to me. The DPS proved to fly so well, and be so indestructible, that I see no reason to move on.

Lastly, where can I buy coroplast and proper gutter pipe in Calgary? Home Depot has neither.
These days, transportation is so fast and so cheap, that I would recommend mail order (or, more accurately, web order). Harbor Sales is my favorite for coro, although I don't know if it makes sense to Calgary.
Old 03-18-2004, 09:19 PM
Crash Master

Don't let the fact that most SPAD's are high wing fool you. I built a Dominator and DPS and they could do anything a low wing bird would do and they floated in for landings like they were trainers.

Just mho,
Old 03-18-2004, 09:20 PM
Woodsy

How much coroplast do I need to buy?
a couple of 6x4 or 8x4 sheets will give you PLENTY for a DPS and a few others

How do you "cover" coro?
you dont, it's fuel proof, you can spray paint it if you wish or use sign viynal for decoration

What are the dimensions of the gutter pipe (width - Home Depot only had that big, grooved plastic gutter pipe)?
About 21/2" square, but you can make a long square tube from coro for a fuzz

Do you need to "flash" it?
you need to prep it some way or it wont glue, you can flash, or sand and then clean with mineral spirits.

the DPS is a great little sport plane, build one as standard first and then try these mods.
extend the fuzz 3" it's a bit smother to fly
double the size of the control surfaces and barn door the throws, thats fun.
make a full symetrical wing
turn it in to a low wing.
Old 03-19-2004, 10:10 AM
WhiteKnuckles

Please see my "Supply Goldmine" thread posted this morning. And thanks for the help!
Old 03-20-2004, 04:07 AM
The_Tron

You can buy corflute / coroplast / coroplex / etc. at most sign shops. Ask them for plastic signboard and mention one of the names it has and they'll probably know what you're talking about. Ring around a bunch of em to find the best prices, some might even carry it in colours so you make it pretty
Old 03-20-2004, 10:07 AM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/Cor%2DStar_60_Version_2%250_plans_and_pics/m_1201120/tm.htm]Cor-Star[/link] is an excellent second plane! Low wing, aerobatic, durable, light, etc.

*EDIT* Oops! I forgot to mention, that it flys like a trainer too. Slow on landings, no bad habits, flys like the Four Star, etc.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92001.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	113439