Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

SPA3D!!!

Old 03-20-2004, 09:47 PM
Jbolt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SPA3D!!!

My hats off to the designer of the spa3d. Today was the most fun I've had flying in many years. In fact this is the first time I've had a chance to fly in over 2 years. I had the urge to build something a few weeks ago and had started on a Sig Something Extra. While searching the forums for building tips I happened to peek in this forum and read some posts. The talk about the spa3d got to my curiosity and I had all the materials to make one so decided to put one together this week so I could fly this weekend. I have to admit I was a bit skeptical about some of the talk. Well all I can say is WOO HOO! What a hoot to fly. The takeoff was a bit edgy. The engine is an Enya .45SS that was salvaged some time ago from a house fire (not mine). The 10x6 on it was too much pitch (too fast) and I had to add a lot of down trim to get level flight. Considering I had not flown in so long all I can say was the first few minutes was rather exciting. After a little trimming and three tanks of fuel and a 12x4 prop I was hovering down the runway 5 feet off the deck like I had been doing it all my life and I'm an average pilot at best. I managed a few nice torque rolls, some tail touches and few few of the most amazing thing I've ever done with an airplane, Harrier landings. I'm just blown away how easy this thing is to fly. I learned more throttle and rudder control today than I ever have. Awesome job guys!
Old 03-20-2004, 10:21 PM
TwistedProp
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SPA3D!!!

Hey Jbolt! WOO HOO is RIGHT!! The SPA3D is the FUNNEST plane I`ve ever flown, had it flyin` sideways and even backwards the other day, take it up and try some flat spins WOO HOO again, I have a Tower .46 on mine, and it will pull straight and unlimited vertical out of a solid hover, plenty of POWER..and it`s teaching me that I too have a left thumb!!( it even chases me around sometimes [X(] ) And they`re as durable as they are fun, splatted mine ALOT, stills keeps flyin`..NEED that rudder - throttle control...WOW.. AND you are right, hats off to the SPAD creators [8D] I think EVERYONE should have one of these, except then they wouldn`t want to fly anything else!!!