Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

Can I handle it?

Old 03-21-2004, 09:03 PM
fasterthanlife
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I handle it?

Hey guys. I'm flying my Avistar right now, and I can land take off loop roll.

Could I handle a a spa3d? on low rates.

I like they simplicity of the design. so do you think I could handle ii or should i really consider a dps or something>?

Thanks
Old 03-21-2004, 09:27 PM
JuniorPilot

Default RE: Can I handle it?

a dps would be better but you could probley control a spa3dt
Old 03-21-2004, 09:33 PM
Madd_Maxx

fasterthanlife:

I had been flying my balsa trainer for a little over a year before I started with my first spad. The very first spad I built and flew was the spa3dt....yes it was a bit of handful at first but I got used to it and now won't leave for the flying field without it. The main thing you will notice with a spa3d or the spa3dt is that they don't glide well (like your avistar does). You will need to keep a bit more power on for landings with your spad but that's about it.

Of the 3 spads I have (dominator - spa3dt - pqhor) there isn't one that stands out or is a favorite flyer that I like better than another. They all perform a bit different but all are simply a blast to fly. I like the fact that I'm flying 10 dollar planes that I built myself and they actually fly pretty well.

My best advice is build yourself one and give it a shot....if you don't like it your only out 10 bux and a little time.

Madd_Maxx
Old 03-22-2004, 01:33 AM
Woodsy

Tough question.

i went from Debonair, to flat wing Deb to DPS to Pizza box (with a few scratch designs thrown in)

could i fly the Pizza YES
could i fly it to it's potential NO
was it fun YES
did i get sick of walking half the field to get it when i dorked A BIG YES

so yep you probably can fly it (IMHO it's easier to fly than the pizza) and you will enjoy it to some extent BUT you probably wont love it like some of the better fliers do
Old 03-22-2004, 06:14 AM
MalaysianFlyer

Go ahead and try it, since your asking if you can handle it, it seems that you are a smart enough to know not to take risk. I think you will get a blast out of it, and its a good plane to train your reflexes on as well, especially learning to use the rudder. As long as your careful when you fly it and set it up, ENJOY!!!!!!!
Old 03-22-2004, 07:18 AM
Ross Kean

The SPA3D is very sturdy. If I had a dollar for every time I have crashed mine, I could build a whole fleet of them. Go for it - its a blast and will help hone your reflexes. Make sure you buy some extra props!!

Ross
Old 03-22-2004, 06:37 PM
Jbolt

I think the spa3d is a *****cat on low rates once its trimmed. I'd recommend you have an experienced pilot test fly and trim it out for you. Start out on the nose heavy side. One thing you will have to get used to compaired to you Avistar is the plane goes where you point it so you have to fly it all the time. Madd_Max makes a good point about the glide ratio. There isn't much when the powers off. I destroyed 2 U-channels this weekend with deadstick landings. The area behind the motor mount bends easily. I filled the front section of the U-channel with a 10" hardwood block which seems to have fixed the problem.
Old 03-22-2004, 08:29 PM
KyleB15
My Feedback: (2)

I taught myself on the 3d. You just have to keep the CG forward. Good luck!
Old 03-22-2004, 10:07 PM
thudriver

At part throttle the spad3t is a *****cat, very controlable, but you have to be smart enough to fly at part throttle! thudriver
Old 03-23-2004, 10:57 AM
Scott Crownover

Go for it! You will love it and you will learn alot. Keep it in VERY close, and throttle back immediately after takeoff. Fly it around and land it in "harrier" mode (nose up, just enough throttle to maintain level or slightly descending flight).

SC
Old 04-02-2004, 01:03 AM
red_guy

since last autumn i have flown my qhor. it was my second plane. first a balsa which i retired after 2 flights (beginner pilot)

crashed the qhor a coupleof times untill i trimmed it and set the cg in the right spot (for me its about 1-1/2" forward)

after that it was a blast to fly. stable plane. i learned to fly on that one without any help from nobody. now im building a spa3dt to go for 3d.

good idea with the uchannel jbolt. gotta try that

red guy