Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

Coro Wing-foil

Old 03-25-2004, 08:13 PM
3d-aholic
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coro Wing-foil

My SPAD3D is really getting beat up. So its time to build somethig new. I want something similar to the SPAD3DT but I want a true airfoil wing. So I'm going to try and build a coro wing with the fold-over the spar technique.

I've been looking around and it seems a lot of the early decisions that I saw in the SPAD originals had involved using 2 types of coroplast thick on bottom, thin on top and running the flutes in different directions....gluing the front and bending the top over. Then I noticed there are some later designs (which I like better) that involve taking a single piece, scoring it and bending it over the ruler spar. It looks quicker and easier.

My question, however, is virtually all of these designs end up with a flat-bottom wing and a shape that is symetrical on top. Is there a way to get a fully or semi-symetrical wing? Is the trick simply in the bending of the coroplast or is there no way to do that? My first attempt....so I need to know this going in.
Old 03-25-2004, 08:40 PM
Ross Kean

Default RE: Coro Wing-foil

For a fully symmetrical wing, build the wing absolutely flat without the spar and glue the trailing edge. Insert the spar flat and position it to ~25% MAC and flip it up. Position it carefully and then drizzle thin CA down the spar to stick it to the coroplast. Makes a PERFECTLY symmetrical airfoil. This technique has been used for at least a couple of years for symmetrical wings on sport planes. This seems to work best with 2mm but there is no reason why it wouldn't work with 4mm. I (and others) have also used 1" thick x 3" wide pink foam (reinforced with a yardstick) as a spar. This is great for a thick symmetrical funfly wing. If you use foam, DO NOT use CA - polyurethane glue on the edges of the spar before insertion seems to work well.

Ross
Old 03-25-2004, 08:40 PM
DonH21
My Feedback: (3)

Funny,
I'm building a 36in wing, 24in wide folded in half with the trailing ends tapered, out of the thin coroplastic with a yard stick spare. The flutes will be running the width of the coroplastic. All the controls are thick coroplas.
I'm thinking of using the channel alum. as the fuse spin. Then sheeting it with 2 sheets of coroplastic. one on each side, as the profile. With the flutes going vertical.

Does this sound do-able?
Old 03-25-2004, 09:37 PM
3d-aholic

Ok Ross...thats sound like the easiest technique of all....thanks Thats what I'm looking for quick and dirty.

All of the spad originals though describe lapping and reinforcing the ruler spar by doubling it up....is that really necessary. Can you use a single spar?
Old 03-25-2004, 09:38 PM
3d-aholic

ORIGINAL: DonH21
Does this sound do-able?
Don't know...tell you when I'm done...lol
Old 03-25-2004, 10:26 PM
Ross Kean

Re: Spar

If you are building a wing that is anything over 20", I would say that the spar should be a double thickness of yardstick - at least for the middle half of the wing. Less stress near the tips so a double thickness isn't necessary. For high stress flying (extreme speed, combat or extreme aerobatics, some people use a triple thickness spar - especially for a 48" wing. It adds some weight but the added strength is really necessary.

Ross
Old 03-26-2004, 03:23 PM
DonH21

ORIGINAL: 3d-alcoholic

Don't know...tell you when I'm done...lol
Cool! Unless I finish mine first!
Don
Old 03-26-2004, 03:28 PM
DonH21

Ross,
Does the weight of the plane matters, when doubling up the yard stick in the middle?
I was going with micro gear and keeping it light as possible.
Don
Old 03-26-2004, 03:46 PM
3d-aholic

ORIGINAL: DonH21

Cool! Unless I finish mine first!
Don
Oh, I'm in no rush...my spad3d looks like it has about 100 flights left in it....which I figure is about 2.5 months still...
Old 03-26-2004, 03:57 PM
DonH21

3d-alcoholic ,
All in fun! You struck me as a good-natured guy.

Don
Old 03-26-2004, 07:12 PM
Ross Kean

Yes, the weight of the plane matters. A really light plane does not need a really heavy spar unless you plan to fly agressively. I would suggest that the following factors probably dictate the need for a strong spar (in order):
1) Wingspan
2) Aircraft mission (float around or "bank and yank")
3) Aircraft weight

Engine power and flying speed figure into the equation as well but probably a sub-category of aircraft mission.

Ross