Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

bashed spa3d???

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2004, 08:19 PM
rcdude37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bashed spa3d???

ok... i am in the process of making a SPA3D but i have a bit of a problem, of cource! it says to use a 36" wing the coro i have is only 32" what should i bash on the "plans" to make this work?? make the alum tube 32 also or not? and do you think it would have "too much power" with a LA.46 or should i go to a .40? power is nice, heck is it even possible to have too much power!?
if i have any other questions i will post them
Old 04-16-2004, 10:39 PM
Crash Master

Default RE: bashed spa3d???

For a 32" span, you might want to take a look at the [link=http://www.spadtothebone.com/SPAD/PQHor/PQHor2/pqhor2.html]PQHor[/link] instead of the SPA3D. The PQHor flies just like the SPA3D only it's a tad bit smaller and the 46LA should work on it. I had a TT GP42 on my Qhor (no profile) and it worked well.

Hope this helps,
Old 04-17-2004, 01:25 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

The first SPAD3D I built. I cut the hole for the fuse in the wrong spot. I just cut off the other end of the wing and left the rest like the planes call for. I now am on my 5th one. They all fly a little different. The 32" span one flew about the same as the others. As far as your power question. I run a ST.45 on mine. I wish I had a ST.51 or OS.46AX. It could use a little more power.
Be sure to run a low pitch prop. These things don't like speed. I run a MA 12x4. The APC 12x4 and APC 12.25x3.75 are also great props. They are just to easy to break. Props are the biggest cost on one of these. My first 20 flights cost 15 or so props. At $5.00 each the APCs were just to high. TheMA are $3.25 each.

DAvid
Old 04-17-2004, 01:27 PM
johnc1go
My Feedback: (9)

I have done exactly what you're looking to do. I have a spa3d with a 32 inch wingspan and a 32 inch long rail. Take the spa3d plans and shrink the tail feather dimensions by 25%. Build it with the elevator and rudder hanging off the back of the fuse, this will increase your tail moment and help make it more stable in the hover. For power, I went with an OS 32 SX. I also used a AAA NiMh pack to keep weight down. I used a 6 oz tank and the empty weight of this airplane is exactly 3 1/2 lbs. It will hover at half throttle and has a much better glide ratio than a qhor. If you have a bushing .46, you may take a little weight penalty, but you should still have enough power to have some fun. Let me know if I can help further. Another option would be to use the qhor dimensions but use the spa3d wing, I believe it to be a superior design over the qhor's wing.
Old 04-17-2004, 05:55 PM
rcdude37

ok so i use a .40 instead of the .46?.... and it will still be able to hover?
i think i can make this work.... well i think i know i can make this work!....
thanks guys
Old 05-01-2004, 10:05 AM
crazystix

Well, I'm probably too late, but my 2 cents... I had the same problem ( Pepsi signs only 32" wide ) used 32" channel, all other dimensions the same. I wound up putting a SuperTigre G-51 on mine. It works fantastic. Just take it easy on the throttle.
Old 05-01-2004, 11:15 AM
rcdude37

easy on the throtle! wuts fun about that!?
and no ur not too late, im still workin on it and only got about half the build done but i will get there sometime!.......
later
Old 05-01-2004, 08:55 PM
Emmitt

Use the 32" fuse and the 46la. You'll want the extra power for pulling out of hovers. These planes are a blast to fly. The Spa3d wing is better than the Qhor in my opinion also.