Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

SPAD-4D: My new baby

Old 05-06-2004, 04:49 PM
3d-aholic
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SPAD-4D: My new baby

SPAD 4D

Design Goals:

[ul][*] Create a Step-2, SPAD 3d trainer for myself that would allow me to have the confidence to go from the SPAD3D to flying a balsa model 3d [*] Flight characteristics of the SPAD3d with the additional requirements.
[ul][*] Fuel tank level with engine [*] Radio protected from fuel oil [*] Fully symmetrical airfoil and fuse to permit practicing knife-edge, knife-edge spin, knife-edge loops [*] Side mounting of engine to allow exhaust deflection to ground [*] Stronger wing-mounted landing gear. [*] Removable wing for easier transportation. [*] Do not spend more than you spent on the spad3d.
[/ul]
[/ul]

[link=http://www.comcity.com/rc/spad4d/spad4d-1.jpg]Click for Larger Size[/link]

[link=http://www.comcity.com/rc/spad4d/spad4d-5.jpg]Click for Larger Size[/link]

[link=http://www.comcity.com/rc/spad4d/spad4d-3.jpg]Click for Larger Size[/link]
Old 05-06-2004, 09:48 PM
DLSmith2

Default RE: SPAD-4D: My new baby

3d-aholic,

Looks great!!! I like it!! I think you may be on to something big here, transition wise. How did you make hard points in the wing for the LG, and how did you attach the fuse?

Looking forward to the flight report!

Blue skies,

DL
Old 05-06-2004, 09:56 PM
JimRoss

3D-aholic,

Dude! Nice job. Close one eye and the tail looks straight to me. Hope it flies as well as it looks.
Let us know. Video would be cool.
Old 05-06-2004, 10:10 PM
DrFun
My Feedback: (4)

I tried one eye closed but it still looked bend,

Tried 2 eyes closed, now that is straight.

Looks great. Just built the SPAD 3D and looking forward to your flight report.
Old 05-06-2004, 11:24 PM
Col. K0rn
My Feedback: (1)

From the looks of it, us SPADDERS are a few steps away from adding retracts! [sm=lol.gif]
Old 05-06-2004, 11:38 PM
3d-aholic

Yes the bat is what's crooked....the tail is straight !

I believe that the curve though is anti-torque....so I wouldn't be surprised if the effect is mostly at low engine speeds only. Only one way to find out. At one point, I thought about ripping the tail out and cutting the glue back out but I think I would have real problems if I make the tail straight to the fuse. I think that would be worse. Getting the tail staight is the hardest problem I had really....unlike most of the plastic bat spad designs that have the tail screwed on...I just wanted to glue it on and be done with it. So I bought a cutting wheel for drill and slit the back and glued the tail surfaces on.

I actually started with this other black bat --- same problem. It was bent too...and too small. Then I went back to Toys-R-US and sure enough, they are all bent. Its cause they have the ball at the end and the must get that way sitting in the box on the hot shipping dock.

I didn't paint the bat because its GLOW IN THE DARK for 3d tail touch night flying....hehehe (take that Dave... j/k btw...that would be dangerous)
Old 05-06-2004, 11:40 PM
3d-aholic

I would say the time it take to build this plane is about equal to the spad3dt when you count cutting those servo holes out of the aluminum fuse.

It took me as long to build this as my original spad3d...but I'm a slow builder.
Old 05-06-2004, 11:51 PM
3d-aholic

Thanks...still a little bit more work till flight time.

The wing is just two rulers glued together separated by two blocks of cut 1x3 that I had and another ruler. The 1 x 3 gives you the exact clearance for servo mounting and a reinforced block for landing gear mount. For the servo, you just cut half of the single ruler in the back so the servo wire on the front will clear and then glue the half to the top to reinforce it to accept the servo screws.

[link=http://www.comcity.com/rc/spad4d/spad4d-b.jpg]Click Here for big picture[/link]

The wing is mounted by drilling in two cut wooden dowles I had from a little 9/11 flag placed in my yard. From the front of the wing, I drilled through the first two rulers and epoxied the dowel to rest against the back wooden ruler. The dowels basically reinforce all 3 rulers together like a rib in the middle of the wing. I cut slits into the bat and ran cut pieces of ruler as mounting points in the wing, one in front and one in back. I drilled two holes in the front one to accept the wooden dowles and then two holes in the back through the wing into the back rules to take two nylon screws. This is the fairly traditional mounting of a wing to a balsa plane as well.

[link=http://www.comcity.com/rc/spad4d/spad4d-c.jpg]Click Here for big picture[/link]

The motor mount is just the traditional cutting board cut into a smaller piece and use corner brackets to screw the whole thing together into the front of the bat.

[link=http://www.comcity.com/rc/spad4d/spad4d-d.jpg]Click Here for big picture[/link]
Old 05-07-2004, 07:52 PM
Jack Hyde
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the symmetrical foil wing. It looks like you made it from a single sheet of 2mm folded along the LE with a 4mm strip with the flutes running spanwise sandwiched in the TE to make the ailerons. I would like to see pics of the fue with the wing removed and an end view of the wing. How much does it weigh? I was thinking about how I could build a plane like that and you already did it.
Old 05-07-2004, 08:18 PM
3d-aholic

Actually I folded a 4mm piece (which is all that I had) across the flutes.... Yes, a 4mm glued for the ailerons. The wing will survive virtually any crash my guess...the fuse, less so.

I have caped the end of the wing but I will try and take some more pictures of the insides.

The final weight is between 4.5 and 5 lbs dry. All I have is a human scale that goes in half lb increments. It weighs maybe a tiny bit more than the spad3T. The wing weighs more...but the fuse weighs less. I would say it is a 46-52 sized.....I would not suggest a 40.
Old 05-10-2004, 11:21 AM
3d-aholic

Flight Report:

It flies!!!! I should'a waited to name the plane though until after I flew it. A couple of the guys at the field named it for me, "Bat-outta-he11". Basically, thats how the plane flies....like a bat-outta-he11 --- F A S T!!!!!

Another guy out there with a spitfire and I passed him like he was standing still. (well actually it wasn't that bad...the Spitfire was pretty fast too). But, the key point is there is no weight issue.

The roll rate on high rates is about 10 per second on low rates, its about 5/second. So you never really have to take it outta low rates. It rolls so fast, there is a 50% chance you end up upside....I did twice.

Now, the issue though is that the plane won't hover very well. As the plane slows, the control authority of the tail diminishs to the point that they are nearly unresponsive. Mainly the rudder but the elevator becomes nearly nil as well. At vertical stall, the plane starts falling and even with maximum opposing rudder, the plane won't return to center and you end up doing a kinda knife-edge hover... Is there anything I can do about this? Someone told me that they thought the plane might need to be more tail heavy. Does that sound like a problem with the CG? I had to guess at it in the first place.

And, yes, unlike the spad3d, this plane will knife edge.
Old 05-10-2004, 04:14 PM
JimRoss

I found that for a plane to hover it has to be somewhat tail heavy. Move your cg back in very small increments until you find where it works best.
Old 05-11-2004, 11:31 PM
3d-aholic

ORIGINAL: JimRoss

Video would be cool.
I could have someone take video but I'm not sure how to get that converted to something that you can see on digitally on the computer... ?
Old 05-11-2004, 11:34 PM
3d-aholic

BTW, I did some CG calculations instead of eyeballing it. I have the CG currently eyeballed at about 3.7 inches from the LE. The CG calculator places the CG around 5 inches back.... So, I'm kinda surprised the plane flew at all. According to the calculations its very nose heavy. I'm going to start inching it back.
Old 05-12-2004, 06:37 AM
JimRoss

There are actually three CGs'. The eyeball one, the calculated one, and the one that actually works. Go with the one that actually works for the plane you're flying and blow the other two off. Just move it back slowly until you find where it works best for you.
Old 05-13-2004, 05:49 PM
3d-aholic

Video would be cool.
Jim: How would I get video on to the web....? How are people doing this?
Old 05-13-2004, 07:14 PM
JimRoss

I ain't got a clue. Don't have a video camera and would have to ask like you did. Guess that was wishful thinking.

JimRoss

ORIGINAL: 3d-aholic

Video would be cool.
Old 05-14-2004, 12:14 AM
gasrc

ORIGINAL: 3d-aholic

Video would be cool.

Dazzle DVC-80, 100, or 150. A used 80 ro 100 can be got from ebay for about $40.