Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

My Combat Spad

Old 05-13-2004, 08:23 PM
Ogriv

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Combat Spad

Greetings,

After destroying my Com-Bat spad (Don't laugh, but I stepped on it!) I decided to build another. I used the fuse and tail feathers from a previous Gnat. I built a new wing. (During the cutting process I managed to slice the side of my finger off. I sliced from the tip of the finger to the first nuckle. The ER run only took 2 hours and I was back to cutting) The wing is 47 inches wide and has an average chord of 11 inches. I decided to use some landing gear because I mounted the throttle servo under the wing, and wanted to prevent any damage to it. All my previous spads used rubber bands to hold the wing down, I wanted to have a bolt on wing this time. I used two pieces of 4x5x1/4 oak board and slid them into the wing until they were centered under the LE and the TE. I drilled thru it and inserted two machine bolts thru the wing and thru the aluminum fuse. It appears to have worked quite well, as there is no wing movement. I wanted to expriment with the height of the spar, so I just screwed the spar in place. I am starting with a 1/2 inch dowel as the spar. I will easily be able to change the size of the spar if needed. I will take it on it's maiden flight tomorrow after work. I hope it flies well

Mike B.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89641.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	132063   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lh18786.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	132064   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va71712.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	132065   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mg99038.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	132066  
Old 05-14-2004, 11:00 AM
Ogriv

Default RE: My Combat Spad

Hmmmm,

40 views and no comments ??? Does my plane suck that bad?

Mike B.
Old 05-14-2004, 11:15 AM
Spadinator

No it doesn't suck!!! I think it looks great. It just reminded me of when my DPS got thrashed in the back of my truck by my tool box when I had to slam the binders to avoid a moron who pulled in front of me. Not the way a plane should die!!!
Old 05-14-2004, 08:22 PM
jbwick

Nice makes all of my planes look as plane (plain) as they are

Did you screw your spar in two places? That is what it looks like but it is hard to tell. I would like to hear how it works.

later BraD
Old 05-14-2004, 09:06 PM
Kripto

looks cool man.... flight report and plans...

Ed
Old 05-15-2004, 05:36 AM
Ogriv

Jbwick, I secured the spar with a total of 8 screws, four on the top and four on the bottom.

Kripto, I flew the plane last nite! After learning how to steer a tail dragger on the ground, I took off. There were no unexpected movements on climb out, just nice and steady. BTW, I am using only 70% on the throws. The plane only required a couple clicks of elevator trim to fly hands off. The plane flies inverted quite easily. It appears to be a little tail heavy, because while inverted it wants to climb a little. The large wing makes maneuvers predictable. I think the short 24 inch fuse is a little short (The fuse is from a previously built Gnat, and thats all I had at the time). I think it makes the elevator a little too touchy. Perhaps I might try adding some EXP in the radio. I will experiment some more to see if I need it. Inside and outside loops performed well. The plane would not flat spin. It has a decent vertical, nothing spectactular with a 9x6 MAS but still pretty decent for combat. All in all, the plane is pretty responsive. My friend who has a lot more experience than I have was able to put this plane through all sorts of maneuvers (that I could not identify) without any problems. The plane has landing gear, which slows it down a little, but heh I'm still learning so thats ok. I only performed left hand rolls, and they rolled without losing altitude. While making my final aproach I did notice that my idle was too slow. the controls appeared to get mushy just as I reached the runway. That was scary, I had never experienced that before. I tried 2 more landings and the same thing happened. My friend told me to come in a little hot and try it. What a difference, I flew the plane to just a few feet of the runway and then cut the throttle and the plane just glided down to the runway. I was amazed at how straight and level the plane stayed as it decended to the ground. I gave no aileron input, just elevator to land.

I am going to the hardware store to pick up a larger dowel rod for the spar. In another thread they said I would get more maneuverabilty with a thicker spar. I should have some results by Sunday.

Engine: Magnum 25
Prop: 9x6 MAS
Tank: 4 onces
Wing: 47 inch span
11 inch average Chord (Tapered Ailerons)
Tail: Same as Gnat (With Rudder)
Servos: Standard Hitech BB
Fuse: Aluminum channel (Same as Gnat)

I will get some exact measurments if your all interested, let me know?

Mike B.
Old 05-16-2004, 02:46 PM
DipStick

Mike,

What is the weight? Have you tact the 9x6 prop? Nice job.

Steve
Old 05-16-2004, 05:57 PM
Ogriv

The plane weighs 4 pounds. I changed the spar to 3/4 inch in height. It has a much better glide now than with the 1/2 inch spar.

No, I don't have a tach to measure the rpm's

Mike B.