Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design
Reload this Page >

Ciggy Pack w/aluminum fuse?

Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

Ciggy Pack w/aluminum fuse?

Old 05-14-2004, 10:45 AM
StallN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ciggy Pack w/aluminum fuse?

Has anyone made a ciggy pack or pizza box with an aluminum fuse? I have an OS 40LA. Want to put landing gear on it. I don't think the aluminum would slide very well belly landing![:@] Looking at a 28" span. The 40LA is light (9.6 oz w/muffler) and only has 1HP. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 05-14-2004, 03:14 PM
FrankC29

Default RE: Ciggy Pack w/aluminum fuse?

I used c-channel on mu PBF, it worked great. In my case I mounted it on top, it gave me something to hold for the underhand toss and a place to mount my rudder and rudder servo. Top or bottom, though, it shouldn't matter. I also used a 40LA and it worked out well. I miss it, I think I might build another.
Old 05-14-2004, 08:12 PM
Flypaper 2

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 25FP PBF with an aluminum channel. I tapered the depth of it front to back with the bandsaw to lighten it at the back where it doesn't need the strenght. it has wire landing gear. Kill proof
Old 05-17-2004, 08:24 AM
StallN

Thanks for the replys!! I'll get building. I've built and flown, still flying, a SPA3D. Just wanted to try something different. Thanks again!!
Old 05-17-2004, 09:56 AM
StallN

Well, I spoke too soon. Just looked again at the wings on the plans of both. How do you get the airfoil shape if you mount the channell on the top? And where is the radio gear mounted? Got any pics or plans? Thanks again!!
Old 05-17-2004, 11:41 AM
Dave McDonald
My Feedback: (19)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Has anyone made a ciggy pack or pizza box with an aluminum fuse?
Yes. In fact the second P.B.F. prototype used an aluminum U-channel.

I have an OS 40LA. (9.6 oz w/muffler)
P.B.F. prototype #2 used an OS 40FP, and prototype #3 used a TT 42GP. These engines are in the same size, weight, and power class as the 40LA. A 24x24 wing works great!

Go to http://mypage.yhti.net/~dmcdnld/pizzabox.htm
P.B.F. prototype #2 has the yellow wing, and prototype #3 has the blue wing.
Old 05-17-2004, 12:34 PM
StallN

Thanks Dave!! That is a huge help!! I will probably incorporate the separate elevator and ailerons like in the Spad to the Bone plans. No computer radio. I saw the mixer on your site but I think I'll try them separate. The pics of the radio install helps the most. I also thought the OS40LA was too much for a 24"x24" wing. But what the heck, I'll try it! I have saved your site for future ref. Oh, if you can't catch it, is landing on the ground very hard or destructive? I set the prop to stop horizontal on my SPA3D but it has gear! Thanks again!!!!
Old 05-17-2004, 10:31 PM
Dave McDonald
My Feedback: (19)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No computer radio.
Great Planes came out with an elevon mixer for $11.49. I haven't tried this one yet, but it should work great on a P.B.F.

I also thought the OS40LA was too much for a 24"x24" wing.
The lightweight bushing 40 size engines work great on a P.B.F. Start out with a Master Airscrew 10x4 or 11x4. When you're ready for more power, replace the stock muffler with a MCP.

is landing on the ground very hard or destructive?
Intentional landings will probably be the least destructive thing you will ever do to a P.B.F.

And if the majority of your landings are intentional.....then you're not playing hard enough with your P.B.F.
Old 05-18-2004, 08:26 AM
StallN

And if the majority of your landings are intentional.....then you're not playing hard enough with your P.B.F.
Thanks again Dave!! You can tell I'm new to SPAD!! I'll try and have it ready next week. I'll let you know how it goes!