Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design
Reload this Page >

.15 size SPAD w/ 30 inch span?

Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

.15 size SPAD w/ 30 inch span?

Old 05-17-2004, 08:49 PM
scubyfan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default .15 size SPAD w/ 30 inch span?

Hi guys,

I'm considering building a .15 sized (AP) SPAD with a 30 inch span. Do you think a .15 size engine can adequately fly a SPAD? It's just a high-wing trainer I have in mind, so no crazy aerobatic stuff.

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-17-2004, 09:00 PM
tamccain

Default RE: .15 size SPAD w/ 30 inch span?

You can adjust the plans to fit your needs. There is someone on the spadworld forums trying to get a .049 Cox engine to fly a spad. I am sure he will do it. Anyway, you can scale down the plans to make it fit your .15

So, anyway - check out the plans, specifically the debonair, and then scale them down for your .15
Old 05-17-2004, 09:55 PM
scubyfan

Well, how much do most of these SPADs weigh? I'm eyeing a total flying weight (minus fuel) of less than two pounds. Does something like that seem feasible?

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-17-2004, 10:17 PM
tamccain

It is probably possible, you just have to be very conscious of what materials you use. Make sure you use 2mil coro. With the smaller wing and shorter fuse, you might be able to get the 2lbs. Also to save some weight make a wing like the Spadet, with one spar instead of the deb, which has 2 spars.

Also, try using Aluminum C channel instead of the PVC downspout, it weighs less
Old 05-17-2004, 10:53 PM
scubyfan

Thanks. Will one spar be enough to give it a rounded appearance? Most I've seen have been sort of triangular, thus the need for two spars. But you are correct: the weight will indeed be a sensitive issues, especially with respect to the spars. [&o]
Old 05-17-2004, 11:49 PM
tamccain

you should be able to get a good rounded airfoil as long as you make the flutes run chordwise.
Old 05-18-2004, 01:42 AM
scubyfan

Oh, of course. I didn't even think about bending it across the flutes!
Old 05-18-2004, 01:49 PM
FrankC29

There are 4 .15 sized Spads on www.spadtothebone.com. The SNM and the Derringer built per plans weigh in at just over 2 lbs. usually, and they fly quite well, especially with a strong .15 like the .15LA. If you build a lighter fuse, you can easily get it around 1 3/4 lbs. and have yourself one fun little ship. The HOR is an excellent stable flyer. The Gnat is unique, and meant more for club combat not sport flying. You might also want to check out the plans for the "GetSome" by Chunky C. You can find plans for it on www.rcspads.com. It weighs considerably more and has a wider wingpsan (it's a SSC design). However, I've flown it, and this thing ROCKS. Very aerobatic, maneuverable, and it's big rudder makes for excellent aerobatics like snaps and spins, hammerheads, etc. I've got to get around to buidling one. The thing to keep in mind with the .15 sized spads is that tip top engine performance is a must. There's is nothing more depressing than flying one of these designs with a doggy engine. No fun at all.
Old 05-18-2004, 03:25 PM
scubyfan

Awesome, thanks.