Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

Spads are the best!!

Old 05-24-2004, 10:22 AM
StallN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spads are the best!!

I had so much fun yesterday!! Finally stopped babying my SPA3D.[>:] I was able to hover, tail touch, and harrier land!! Doing all that between crashes. Crashed 3 times!! Cartwheels, flips and hard bounces on landings. Just bent gear. I also added about a half pound of mud!! Last crash the gear couldn't be straightened at the field. Very hard to taxi and take off. Right wheel turned in about 40 degrees.[X(] Brought them to work to put in a vise. Thanks Chrisspad for setting me straight on the purpose of spads and the SPA3D. Slow flyin' and 3D'n[8D]

Later!!
Old 05-24-2004, 11:32 AM
FrankC29

Default RE: Spads are the best!!

Sounds like you've got it figured out good! I think the reason there are sometimes mixed reviews for the Spa3d (I Love it! I Hate it!) has to do with expectations and having the wrong idea of what this plane is for. For those who have never flown 3D or discovered the joys of high alpha flight, it takes a little while.
Old 05-24-2004, 02:01 PM
StallN

Yea!! Yesterday was a totally different day of flying. Now I just need more practice so I spend more time in the air playing than on the ground straightening gear and wiping off mud!![:'(] This one weighs 4 1/4 pounds. 32" span, 32" length. The 40LA struggles to hover and to go vertical. It will do it but I really have to watch it. The next Spa3d I build will be a bit smaller. None the less, I really like this plane!!
Old 05-24-2004, 08:41 PM
DLSmith2

STallN,

Congratulations on the 3D. At first it seems like a handful, but then you realize it's a handful of fun!

Where do you fly in Shreveport? I come up to visit family and will bring my SPADs if I know where to fly.

I'm in Nacogdoches, TX, and if you're ever down this way, give a holler and we'll go SPADding!

Blue skies,

DL
Old 05-25-2004, 12:43 PM
StallN

Hello DL,

This spad is a lot of fun. Funny you ask about where to fly in shreveport. Not easy to find.[] Right now I am flying at a high school in the evenings and on weekends when there is no one there. There is a local club called the SHARKS but their field is about 10 miles north of downtown shreveport. I live in south shreveport so it is just too far to drive for one plane to fly for about 1 hour. There is a professor where I work that said I can fly on her land. She and her husband have about 10 acres. The only problem is it's long and narrow. I thought about flying off sandbars on the Red River but if you know what happens if you miss!! I'm still looking for areas, and I will start calling land owners about flying on their property. Oh, I called one guy that had a big lot for sale and he had no problem at all until it sells. He even said I could cut a grass runway. Problem is the land had just been cleared and was full of tree stumps average of 6-8" tall and very uneven.[:@] Would require a road grader to finish cleaning it up. If I find something I'll let you know. What kind of places do you have to fly?

Thanks
S