Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design
Reload this Page >

Graduated to A Strait Wing

Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

Graduated to A Strait Wing

Old 05-26-2004, 09:52 PM
Cjsworks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Graduated to A Strait Wing

Well after 25 flights and 4 crashes with the FNS 40 style trainer Ive retired it. It was still a good bird but I wanted something lighter and more manuverable. So I stripped it down and put everything on the Sporty Fourty BigBob sent me. The maiden flight was almost a disaster, one of the screws came out on the elevator ( guess I missed one) and it suddenly went into a dive.[X(] Full back stick did nothing so I cut the throttle. Then I got alittle control and was able to pull up and come around to land dead stick. Quick fix and back in the air for 2 flights. The plane handled great and flying a strait wing was no problem. Had a ball trying all kinds of stunts. Only problem was the engine kept quitting while flying inverted after rolling out of a half loop. Think my clunk feed line is a hair to long. Anyway Ive included a pic of the old and new birds, thanks for another great plane Bob. My gasser spads in the works
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94711.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	136811   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd90564.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	136812  
Old 05-27-2004, 12:56 AM
barkin_bob

Default RE: Graduated to A Strait Wing

Nice lookin sporty CJS Keep us updated on that gasser Happy Flying Bob
Old 05-27-2004, 01:33 PM
Cjsworks

Default RE: Graduated to A Strait Wing

I did quite a bit of drilling lightening holes in the fuse and landing gear, also moved battery all the way forward. Its still just a tad tail heavy but itll hover much as I can at altitude running an ASP .40 with a 10x6 MAS. Probabley do much better with an 11x4, the total weight came out to just a hair over 4.5 pounds. Rolled out a 10 feet and climbed out great, the axial rolls are clean and crisp and the true barrel rolls are awsome. It will float along at 1/3 throttle with no problem and if you end up doing a dead stick youve got lots of time to cruise around and pick your landing spot. I think taking all play out of the control rod hookups on the tail feathers along with adding dowl rods really makes a difference in the handling and removes any flutter or buzzing. Several diving high speed passes showed no signs of either. All in all a great flying plane bob, thanks again.