Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design
Reload this Page >

Mousse Can Pipe as President

Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

Mousse Can Pipe as President

Old 05-27-2004, 12:37 PM
gasrc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mousse Can Pipe as President

I though that I would bring an old post that I did in another forum over to the SPAD community. There are a lot of new faces on the boards. I'm sure there are a lot of you (newbies and veterans) who would like to see this information. I posted this 2 years ago. Enjoy.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___

I'll Never use a Muffler again!!

I'll NEVER use another muffler on a 2-stroke airplane again! Here's the story

The setup:
Thunder Tiger 46 Pro (new)
Power Master 15% Heli fuel
KB-1L Plug
APC 12.25x3.75 prop
Air temp ~ 90
Humidity: high
Wind speed: near none
Test Platform: test stand

After breaking in the engine, I adjusted for high speed, then idle. Adjustments were made with the stock muffler. I had a tough time getting a decently low and steady idle. High speed was set just under the highest rpm achieved at full throttle. Idle was set at the point were the engine would not cut off and throttle back up without bogging and shutting off.

Stock Muffler:
High speed = 10,800 rpm
Idle = 2,900 -3,200 rpm (quite unsteady)

Muffler with baffle removed:
High speed = 10,600 rpm
Idle = 2,900 -3,200 rpm (quite unsteady)
Actually worse performance.

Macs standard header w/ Mousse Can Pipe (15" from front of header to tip of stinger)
MCP: 5.2 oz, 1.5" long stinger (1" long externally, .5" internally)
High speed = 12,300 rpm
Idle = 2,400- 2,500 rpm (very smooth, rarely taping 25 on the tach)
The throttle response was more crisp as well. Even turning the high-end needle a half turn richer netted me 11,600. This set up is even 1 oz lighter than the stock muffler. To boot, less of your plane is exposed to the exhaust oil.

I pulled this pipe off my Pizza Box Flyer which has a Magnum 36 XL. I never ran that engine with the stock muffler. Now I see no need to even try. The next test will be with a 3 oz can. For $25 ($24 for header + $1 for mousse) you just can?t beat it.