Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

My second spad: Spad3D

Old 05-29-2004, 11:05 PM
BDAD Flyer
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My second spad: Spad3D

Well, all I can say is- I got hooked with building spads. I hate building stuff, but its worth to spend 5 hours and $15 to get a new airplane.
Geez, I even know what I will be building next. I will try a biplane.

Anyway, here is a pic of my Spad3D. Tomorrow I will take her out for a flight. She is ugly as hell, but I do not care. This is my second Spad after .40 size PQHOR. This have an old .45 enya and it is 32" wingspan with 32" aluminum U chanel.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46910.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	137738  
Old 05-29-2004, 11:47 PM
DLSmith2

Default RE: My second spad: Spad3D

Vsustko22,

Not ugly at all; she's a beauty and I bet she flies like she looks! Don't forget the flight report, and let us know what you're planning with the biplane!

Blue skies,

DL
Old 05-30-2004, 06:46 PM
BDAD Flyer

Ok, I got to fly her for a little.
It flew different than my PQHOR. That .45 size 20 years old motor was not powerful enough.
It was climbing all the time. I would fly leveled with the elevator quite a lot down. It was rolling left so I used one 32!QUOT! music wire at the trailing edge instead of two 16!QUOT! in the middle of the wing. That fixed the roll. I had set the ailerons all the way up and down, but the plane would not make decent rolls. Maybe it is just the way it likes to fly, but someone had a video where the rolls were pretty good. For some reason not on mine. Also, tight loops are funny, plane does something strange, sometimes it would spin out sideways.

I got couple short flights on it and then started trying hovering. I was pretty low when engine started loosing power and finally died. Plane stalled and started falling down from about 50 feet. Strange, but I was not able to get it even in horizontal position. It started rolling and nose dove right in the ground. Pushed the antenna in, and started walking after it. Figured, the engine mount broke, aluminum u channel bent (possibly broke) and the fuel tank fallen off.
Well, i picked it up and besides hanging on the fuel tubes fuel tank and snapped prop nothing was broke. I was impressed! Fixed her up, but somehow the throttle servo gears were stripped. That was it for my Spad3D today.

I am not having a lot of luck with this one so far. Seems that my PQHOR performs better. Is there anything I should do different or change besides more powerful motor?

PS. CG was set 6"
Old 05-30-2004, 09:29 PM
DLSmith2

Vsustko22,

If you set the CG at 6" with the tank empty and reflexed the ailerons up a couple of turns of the clevis, the only other suggestions I could make would be to choose a different prop (10x6 or 11x4) and fly at about half throttle and see if that will work.

Anybody else have any suggestions?

Blue skies,

DL
Old 05-30-2004, 09:49 PM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just a bit. These things glide like a doorknob so, if you have enough height, get the nose down on about a 45 degree angle to get the speed up and flair out about 6 ft. off the ground. you might have to experiment to find the right pull out altitude. As Blueskies says, the up aileron will give it a lot more stability.
Old 05-30-2004, 10:30 PM
BDAD Flyer

I had set the aileron tips at the level of the top of aluminum u chanel. Then I had such hard time taking off. It would try to take off so far and all of a sudden verticaly jump in the air. Then the elevator had to be trimed a lot and was not very responsive. Thats why I made the ailerons straight.
Old 05-31-2004, 03:02 AM
red_guy

why dont you hand launch them? that's what i do with my spads. i mean it's not a scale model to see it roll down the runway like the real model.

i took the landing gear off from my qhor. i like it better this way. i land on grass so it's not a problem

red
Old 05-31-2004, 07:57 AM
dirt dummy
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Flypaper 2

Just a bit. These things glide like a doorknob so, if you have enough height, get the nose down on about a 45 degree angle to get the speed up and flair out about 6 ft. off the ground. you might have to experiment to find the right pull out altitude. As Blueskies says, the up aileron will give it a lot more stability.
I had the same problem taking off with the ailerons level with the fusalage! I found that I was giving it to much up elavator on take off. Put the ailerons back and try taking off with just a little up ele.
Old 05-31-2004, 12:49 PM
BDAD Flyer

A little update.
Replaced the old .45 motor wich works like .25 with another old one, but .60 size which probably wroks like a .50. Center of gravity is 6" with 1,5 ounces of led on the tail. Thats not very good, but it is all I can do. A music wire installed in the tail for better elevator response.
Now it wighs 4 3/4 which is awful lot for 32" plane. I am not planing it to glide well, just want to learn hovering.

There are light showers outside, hope it stops, if not I will still try to fly it for a minute to see how she performs.

So the ailerns up increase stability? I might have to move them up a little.

Thank you for the help guys! All the 2 cents are appreciated,
Old 05-31-2004, 01:35 PM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Valdis:
You may be able to take out the screws that hold the wing to the rail, slide the wing forward, drill new holes in the rail and take the weight out of the tail. Just a suggestion.
Old 05-31-2004, 02:16 PM
BDAD Flyer

I though about it, but the wing is all the way to the engine mount.

Thank you though
Old 06-01-2004, 10:23 AM
BDAD Flyer

I flew her with the .60 motor on it.
Now it flys so much better. It was very windy so I did not try any 3D. The ailerons were flapping though. Maybe its was due to high winds.
I am excited to fly it.