Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design
Reload this Page >

Spad Flik + Hobby Zone FighterBird = ehh

Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

Spad Flik + Hobby Zone FighterBird = ehh

Old 03-14-2005, 02:04 PM
FighterBird873

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spad Flik + Hobby Zone FighterBird = ehh

I recently added a motor and 8.4v battery from a hobby zone fighter bird to a SpadSlopers.com !QUOT!Flik!QUOT!. The result was fairly promising. My motor mount wasn't stiff enough, allowing the motor to pitch up and down, but the power was there. Has anyone else had any success adding power to one of these planes?
Old 03-14-2005, 04:21 PM
FrankC29

Default RE: Spad Flik + Hobby Zone FighterBird = ehh

I have thought about doing it, perhaps in bluecor foam rather than coroplast. BUT, because the Flik is flat bottomed design I have a feeling that under electric power it might not fly a whole lot different than a flat plate delta, and a flat plate delta would be easier and lighter to build, maybe I'm wrong. I would be more likely now I think to try a diamond delta wing design, like a bluecor version of the Ddust maybe. Now for slope soaring the Flik is fun, and I'm pretty sure you can't slope soar a flat plate...or can you??
Old 03-15-2005, 08:52 AM
ErnieR

I put a speed 400 motor on a Flik. While it flew, I was disappointed with the lack of power and it wasn't much fun. Maybe a more powerful brushless motor would be the way to go. I was thinking of putting a .15 on it. It should move out then.
Old 03-15-2005, 02:09 PM
FighterBird873

I think the Fighterbird uses a 380 motor. I had a 7cell, 1100mah battery. I don't think I was expecting a high power fighter here, just something to push it around the sky. Plus, I didn't have to shell out any extra money. I'll get another version fixed up, and see if I can get a few more useful flights out of it.
Old 03-15-2005, 04:15 PM
Spadinator

Here is your speed 400 Mugi called the EVO. http://www.mugi.co.uk/evo_intro.php Check out the plans and electric section on how to motorize it.
Old 03-17-2005, 09:05 AM
FighterBird873

I have already begun the construction of my Mugi EVO. It is a bit smaller then the Flik, so hopefully I'll get a little better performance with the same motor battery setup. The Flik was a lot quicker to build, with less pieces, but I think the EVO has a lot more strength to it. I should get a first flight this weekend.