Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

Self Taught Pilots

Old 04-13-2005, 06:43 AM
cosmospho

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Self Taught Pilots

too many posts already here. Just want to let you know I flew by myself after being a wizz in FMS, doing upside down flight etc etc... took off and cartwheel landed and broke the prop... Sims are the best to learn but get your heart ready cause real life has wind, has trimming etc.... I would first suggest some1 to trim your plane, then try it alone and GOOD LUCK.... Just make sure no1 can be hurt in the process
Old 04-13-2005, 08:40 AM
casniffer
My Feedback: (1)

About 5 years ago, a friend and I bought Duraplanes with the intention of learning to fly ourselves. I have flown first-person flight simulators for many years prior and thought that it would be easy. (note to self: Don't listen to yourself.) Needless to say, I crashed. Not too much damage...bent gear, broken prop.
I looked around on the internet a few weeks later and found FMS. Still wanting to teach myself, I built an interface for my transmitter and spent about 80 hours with it. It taught me what to do with the sticks without really thinking about it, especially when the plane is coming toward you. As primitive as the version of FMS I had in 2000 was, it was an invaluable tool in learning to fly. I fixed the Duraplane and flew it 30 times or so before I sold it to a fellow club member.
FMS interfaces can be found on Ebay for less than $20.00 and they come with the latest version of FMS or it can be downloaded from the internet. A few people will tell you that FMS is no good for learning...no realism. They are the ones that bought RealFlight for $200.00 or more. If I want realism, I'll fly a real plane. I still fly FMS on occasion just for the fun of it.
Thanks
CASniffer
Old 04-13-2005, 08:48 AM
Villa

Some people seem to thrive on being "self taught". It seems to be a badge they wear. A fellow I knew seemd to crashes everything he flew on the first or second flight, occasionally on the third. I offered to trim out his planes but he wanted to do it himself. He wanted no advice and listened to no one. I hated to be around when he was up. If I saw him getting ready for a flight while I was up, I landed and took cover.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:11 AM
kbear

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_28...tm.htm#2869684

Looks like you took a pretty good beating in the beginners forum. Seems to me like Crashem is the last guy who should be talking to beginners. What an attitude. 18 years in the hobby he should know better. I'm sure I'll here from him on this one. Any way, Don't let it get you down. My offer to fly with you still stands, and I won't even ask to pilot your bird. I used to fly with some heli pilots at a local park in Killen in a huge field that was used for over flow parking. The city decided we could fly there but couldn't park in the Field. I still fly there but most of the others don't any more. I've got a couple of guys at work interested in flying but am always looking for someone to fly with. I did get a promotion recently so I'm going to join a club for the social aspect, but it's nice to have a place were I can test a new plane without allot of on lookers, or other planes in the air. Someone did make a good point in the beginners forum that I didn't think about before. You probably already know this, but make sure your not close enough to another field to interfere with there signals. so let us know how it goes. By the way, you always be welcome in the spad forum as far as I'm concerned. So don't be a stranger.
Old 04-13-2005, 11:37 AM
Crashem

Looks like you took a pretty good beating in the beginners forum. Seems to me like Crashem is the last guy who should be talking to beginners. What an attitude. 18 years in the hobby he should know better.
Kbear,

My experience has taught me to concentrate on those individuals who actually have some respect for the level of effort that goes into helping someone.

This statement from Fighterbird left a bad taste in my mouth[:-] Plain and simple. Plenty of people offered to help him untill they read this.

don't want someone else to fly my plane, I built it, its mine. And if I crash it, so be it.
quote:

This is just about the dumbest statement I've heard... Every crash costs some money regardless of aircraft type. The cheap way to learn is to avoid crashing that is best accomplished with an instructor.

Cheap=No Crashes Is that simple enough for you

It can't be dumb , because all people do is talk about how they won't by OS because of price , or how they build SPAD planes because repair is cheap, or how something can be payed forward, or how someone just bought a used engine off of ebay, I think you get my point ...which catagory did you fall into.
Rc Fiend maybe you could help me out with the logic my comment was in response to the fact that going the Self taught route is cheaper then learning with an instructor. I don't see the logic in that. If each crash costs something either a direct outlay in money or the intangeable costs of time and effort that are generally assocaited with repairs/rebuilds How is it cheaper to be self taught.

SPADS use cheaper construction materials but the servos ,RX, engines batteries and wiring harnesses are the same as used in airplanes made of other materials. I submit to all of you that if you are on a tight budget of cheap then the best way to reduce costs is not to crash. The best way to ensure this is to have someone teach you. Its not the only way but IMNHO it is the most cost effective. Stating that you want to learn by yourself because it is cheaper is incorrect.
Old 04-13-2005, 02:55 PM
FighterBird873

For the last time... let me sum this up.

My name is Mike, and I own a SPAD.
I do not have 2000 hours flying full scale planes.
I have gotten many useful tips from this site and others.
I have not blindly followed this advice, but used it as a stepping stone.
I will not learn to fly from an instructor. I will not join a club. I will not join the AMA.
I am not from Texas City, Texas. It was a place I made up. Turns out its a real place.

Now someone kill this thread! Please!???!!?!?!

Old 04-13-2005, 03:09 PM
Crashem

I will not learn to fly from an instructor. I will not join a club. I will not join the AMA.
I am not from Texas City, Texas. It was a place I made up. Turns out its a real place.

I think you might need a little more help then can be found at RCU

Why don't you just fly your SPAD and stop wasting other peoples time.

Kbear et al,

This is what I meant about helping people that have a clue about what goes into providing said help.
Old 04-13-2005, 04:14 PM
experimental_pilot

Why are you guys picking on Crashem?
FighterBird obviously has some kind of problem!

"Has anyone learned to fly on their own?"

Of course! You could have done a search on that!

I dont see why your posting this for(fighterbird). You obviously dont need our help!
Old 04-13-2005, 05:15 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: FighterBird873

Fasinating list of: Have nots, will nots and deceptions. Also a remarkable example of the classic red flag warning of people not to get involved with. Fighterbird873 I agree this thread should probably be locked but also stickied right to the top of the beginners forum, not only as a useful example for beginners of what an attitude can or can not do for you but its also a very useful example for new instructors to use in spotting those red flags.

You see Fighterbird873 to be successful in this passion you need: A reliable engine, a reasonable trainer, an appropriate place to fly, a good mentor (notice I did not use the word instructor, you can find the meaning of mentor in any good dictionary) and finally an appropriate "Attitude". If any of these factors is missing then you will never really be able to realize the passion to its full extent. I wish you well.

To those who choose to suggest that Crashem was any thing other than up front with a very accurate assessment in both of these threads I would have to disagree. He called it very accurately and this comes from years of dealing with folks who would use and abuse the generosity of "mentors" without who this hobby/sport would fall apart.

John
Old 04-13-2005, 06:43 PM
RC-Captain

Crashem , please don't get offended by what I said and what I am about to say [&o].

To say what anybody in here feels is stupid , means you have a narrow way of thinking. To put it plainly you have just summed up the results for everyone who wants to go it alone, and even the most uneducated person knows you can't put everyone in the same boat.

IE. I am self taught , but on planes that never cost me more than $150.00 . So , lets say you get taught how to fly at a club, 9 times out of ten this type of person who was given all the information needed to have perfect flights, would go out and by a $350 ARF and hopefully not, one day crash it because he never was taught certain things like wind gust , getting blinded by the sun, poor depth perception, and I can on and on and on........ These situations can not be learned in a club as far as I know.

My point is I agree if you can join a club then do it , but if you can't don't get discouraged to teach yourself. I personally feel if you are going to teach yourself how to fly get something that you can beat up, and fix up, and you may save a bundle. Starting with glow engines is not how I did it...and would never recommend telling someone to do that way.

Crashem my point is clearly this , I am sure there are some self taught pilots that save more money in the long run than a pilot that belongs to a club.

IE. All I pay for yearly to fly is $58.00 for AMA. If I belonged to a club then it would be $200.00 a year. Lets just say I never crash in five years (self taught ) and a guy belonging to a club doesn't crash for five years, I would have saved $755.00 when the guy belonging to the club would have spent $755.00. Hell lets add in buying a plane every year approx. for $140.00.
I would have spent $700.00 in five years and the guy in the club would have spent $1455.00 in five years . I am not even going to add in who has a higher chance of being involved in an accident.

Crashem I think you see my point, and I truly mean no disrespect to you or any other person belonging to a club. Hell , I still want to join a club, maybe one day I will.

I for got to add in , the reason I mentioned every one being conscious of money is because I believe this is what this guy is trying to be, conscious of his money along with the rest of us RC pilots.
Old 04-13-2005, 06:51 PM
zope_pope

Dude,
Just go fly and let us know how it went. You have your mind made up
Old 04-13-2005, 07:15 PM
Crashem

First of all John and Expermental pilot thanks for the vote of confidence!!!!!

Rec-Fiend I was not nor am I offended by your opinion different points of view make this a fun place!! However I think you missed the intent of my comment. I did not call Fighterbird stupid or dumb. As a moderatly intelligent and rational human being I believe it is possible to say or do something that is dumb without being "clinically dumb or stupid"
My current item of things of "dumb" things not to do is don't peel back a broken can of cat food with your hand USE pliers!!!

As far as your latest post "Hindsight is allways 20-20" we don't know if we will crash and we don't know how much a crash is going to cost so stating that you are going to take a risker self taught method because you are cheap or tight on money is not really logical after the fact you may or may not be able the statements you did But you don't know untill you have tried and if your rational for going that route is to save money then in my opinion that is not the best course of action
Old 04-13-2005, 07:41 PM
RC-Captain

Agreed Crashem, any logical thinker not having knowledge of how to do something, will choose to pursue or seek the advice of a teacher or instructor in order to save time and in some instances money . That being said , this can't and will not apply to everyone in the world there for saying the statement is dumb lacks substance.

There are scientist and chemist in the world that can't turn to anybody to help find a solution for just about any newly arising delimma in the world. I understand it is illogical to say "I will save money if I teach my self" but it is even worse in my book to say a self taught person will definitely spend more money trying to teach himself.
Old 04-13-2005, 07:55 PM
Crashem

There are scientist and chemist in the world that can't turn to anybody to help find a solution for just about any newly arising delimma in the world. I understand it is illogical to say "I will save money if I teach my self" but it is even worse in my book to say a self taught person will definitely spend more money trying to teach himself.
Some of the smartest people say dumb things this is not the same as being stupid Nor is it narrow minded to call them on it hopefully they will be compelled to reassess their position to determine if it is a correct course of action.

Sometimes "Dumb" is a slang for rethink that idea and get back to us

The designers of the Titanic come to mind remember "A ship only God could Sink"

Understand my Job requires me to constanly perform Risk Assessments in case you don't know we assign a risk factor for doing nothing
Old 04-13-2005, 08:27 PM
FighterBird873

WHERE IS THE F__________G DECEPTION!? THERE IS NO DECEPTION.

You assume I'm a kid looking to start from scratch, and you feel cheated I wouldn't tell you where I live. Buncha predators!

KILL THIS THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll be back with a different handle. Later.
Old 04-13-2005, 10:18 PM
RC-Captain

Don't leave in anger fighterbird , and please learn to take the things said in RCu with a grain of salt. Because if you don't no matter what handle you use , you will just beat yourself up. ( i'm talking from true experience)

This is exactly what I didn't want you to do , get discouraged by people you hate the fact or maybe love the fact that every thing in life is handed to them. I have to be blatenly honest , I'm glad I taught myself just for the reason I read tons of crash threads by people you had the "club " life and still go through what I did. I even read post about how a newbie maddens and crashes, but only a few ask where was your instructor.

Let the things said in RCU guide you not control your actions.

Crashem I understand the fiqure of speech aspect of the word dumb, but when they where calling Einstein dumb all they where doing was proving words mean absolutely nothing . The results are the only important things in any giving situaton.

I like you crashem, because you at least have the guts to show videos of many plane wrecks but still stand by the norm as far as being taught to fly
Old 04-13-2005, 10:41 PM
experimental_pilot

ORIGINAL: FighterBird873

WHERE IS THE F__________G DECEPTION!? THERE IS NO DECEPTION.

You assume I'm a kid looking to start from scratch, and you feel cheated I wouldn't tell you where I live. Buncha predators!

KILL THIS THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll be back with a different handle. Later.
[sm=surprised.gif][sm=surprised.gif][sm=surprised.gif][sm=surprised.gif][sm=surprised.gif][&:][&:][&:]
Old 04-13-2005, 11:02 PM
KyFBCGuy

Very curious that he changes his location From Texas City, Texas to Generic City, Texas,
and then claims he "Made up" the first location, not realizing it was a REAL city...

We gave him the best advice, he chose not to listen to it.
Hope we get to see video of the crash!!

Jeff
Old 04-13-2005, 11:11 PM
experimental_pilot

"Buncha predators!"

What the hell is he thinking?
What a wacko!
Old 04-14-2005, 12:10 AM
kbear

I'm about done with him to. At first I thought he was taking an unfair beating. Now I not sure what his deal is. Crashem, I did think you guys jumped on him real hard real early. Maybe it is your time in the hobby may it's not. I will say this, you were right about this one. I just like to give them ever chance I can. No hard feelings I hope. IMHO, sometimes tough love just fuel the fire.
Old 04-14-2005, 07:26 AM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If he had just asked for help to learn to fly HIS plane, it might have all been different. But his SPAD was too good for anyone else to touch I guess. Sad. []
Old 04-14-2005, 08:54 AM
FighterBird873

Bruce, byte me.
Old 04-14-2005, 09:30 AM
StallN

Hey fella's,

Let's just go fly, have fun and be safe. That is what this hobby is about!!

S
Old 04-14-2005, 10:14 AM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Should have seen the cute PM he just sent me. Doesn't know the loser that he has become. Sad . [] [] []
Old 04-14-2005, 10:27 AM
FighterBird873

Look, I'm sorry. Ok. I'm sorry. It was a mistake on my part to begin this discussion. I didn't do my part in being honest and open. The internet is a scary place, with many unknown people. A little privacy is all I was after.

I was quick to judge all clubs, based on my experience with a couple. It was wrong, and I'm sorry.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.