Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design
Reload this Page >

Finally got the Spa3dt perfected

Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

Finally got the Spa3dt perfected

Old 04-14-2005, 10:39 PM
  #1  
Gravityisnotmyfriend
Senior Member
Thread Starter
My Feedback: (2)
 
Gravityisnotmyfriend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Greenville, WI
Posts: 882
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally got the Spa3dt perfected

Not that I improved the design, I just finally got all the bugs out of mine. I built it with 3/4" tubing for the fuse. Since the servos wouldn't fit in the fuse, I cut notches in the sides of the fuse to keep the servos from sliding and zipped tied them on. The problems was that I overlapped the notches alittle. This resulted in a small sectio that was only held together by a 1/2" strip on the top and bottom. Of course it bent there[X(] but it didn't break. I patched it (pic 1) and it worked, but not very long. I replaced the fuse and have had nothing but fun since. I don't know it I'll ever fly any of my other planes again. I've cartwheeled it at least a dozen times. I "landed" it invereted and only broke the prop. I've even done inverted snap rolls all the way to the ground[X(] (I thought I had more altitude) and restarted and flew right away again! Somewhere in all these hard landings, I ripped the left aileron hinge from the tip og the wing to about ten inches in. It still flew fine like this and I only noticed it when I was packing up. I used some 3M spray adhesive and duct taped it. Is there a better fix or will this work? The tape seems to stick well. Luckily, the tear is not on the exhaust side of the plane, so I don't have to worry about the oil loosening the tape.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo41201.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	258375   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr54889.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	258376   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd81703.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	258377   Click image for larger version

Name:	Au56556.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	258378  
Old 04-15-2005, 02:02 AM
  #2  
Scott Crownover
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Tempe, AZ
Posts: 226
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Finally got the Spa3dt perfected

Nice report Gravity

Theses are truly a fun design and tolerate many mods and repairs. My first started out as a PQHOR with a .28 and no profile fuse. It survived nosing in from 40-50 ft on coupla occasions with only minor repairs. Made it into a Spad3D by replacing the wing and had even more fun with a .32 and a TT .42 GP. My first Spad3dt I got a little carried away on the mods and chopped 4 inches off the fuse tube adding a Gee Bee profile body and sideways engine mount, THat one is a little twitchy with a .46. Have recnetly built a relatively stock Spad3Dt with a .46 and am lookong forward top reliving all the fun over again.

Scott
Old 04-15-2005, 06:10 AM
  #3  
RC-Captain
Senior Member
 
RC-Captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: RCHill, NJ
Posts: 2,981
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Finally got the Spa3dt perfected

good job , but do yourself a favor , under camera options, change the image size to 640x480 this will make the pics bigger more viewable.

Good Luck

PS I still haven't got any of my SPADs to fly [:@]

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.