Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design
Reload this Page >

Finally got the Spa3dt perfected

Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

Finally got the Spa3dt perfected

Old 04-14-2005, 10:39 PM
Gravityisnotmyfriend
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally got the Spa3dt perfected

Not that I improved the design, I just finally got all the bugs out of mine. I built it with 3/4" tubing for the fuse. Since the servos wouldn't fit in the fuse, I cut notches in the sides of the fuse to keep the servos from sliding and zipped tied them on. The problems was that I overlapped the notches alittle. This resulted in a small sectio that was only held together by a 1/2" strip on the top and bottom. Of course it bent there[X(] but it didn't break. I patched it (pic 1) and it worked, but not very long. I replaced the fuse and have had nothing but fun since. I don't know it I'll ever fly any of my other planes again. I've cartwheeled it at least a dozen times. I "landed" it invereted and only broke the prop. I've even done inverted snap rolls all the way to the ground[X(] (I thought I had more altitude) and restarted and flew right away again! Somewhere in all these hard landings, I ripped the left aileron hinge from the tip og the wing to about ten inches in. It still flew fine like this and I only noticed it when I was packing up. I used some 3M spray adhesive and duct taped it. Is there a better fix or will this work? The tape seems to stick well. Luckily, the tear is not on the exhaust side of the plane, so I don't have to worry about the oil loosening the tape.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo41201.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	258375   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr54889.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	258376   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd81703.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	258377   Click image for larger version

Name:	Au56556.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	258378  
Old 04-15-2005, 02:02 AM
Scott Crownover

Default RE: Finally got the Spa3dt perfected

Nice report Gravity

Theses are truly a fun design and tolerate many mods and repairs. My first started out as a PQHOR with a .28 and no profile fuse. It survived nosing in from 40-50 ft on coupla occasions with only minor repairs. Made it into a Spad3D by replacing the wing and had even more fun with a .32 and a TT .42 GP. My first Spad3dt I got a little carried away on the mods and chopped 4 inches off the fuse tube adding a Gee Bee profile body and sideways engine mount, THat one is a little twitchy with a .46. Have recnetly built a relatively stock Spad3Dt with a .46 and am lookong forward top reliving all the fun over again.

Scott
Old 04-15-2005, 06:10 AM
RC-Captain

Default RE: Finally got the Spa3dt perfected

good job , but do yourself a favor , under camera options, change the image size to 640x480 this will make the pics bigger more viewable.

Good Luck

PS I still haven't got any of my SPADs to fly [:@]