Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design
Reload this Page >

Gee, ya think my Cor-Star is strong enough?

Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

Gee, ya think my Cor-Star is strong enough?

Old 04-16-2005, 12:06 PM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gee, ya think my Cor-Star is strong enough?

So I'm out flying last Sunday evening, alternating between my Lanier Dart and my beloved Cor-Star. It was getting dark, so I decided to tempt fate. I pack up the Dart, and announce very loudly to the airplane Gods, 'I'll just do ONE MORE FLIGHT WITH THE COR-STAR'. I had been getting pretty wild and careless with my previous flights, so I decided to really mix it up. I taxi out, and slam the throttle to full bore. The Cor-Star lifts off in about 15 feet, and I point her straight up. At about 30 feet, the engine dies. By the time it stalls, it is 50 feet up. The nose flops down, and I start feeding in some up elevator. The wings are nearly level when it just smack pancakes into terra firma. 'Oh well', I say, 'she had a good run'. I set the TX down, and do the walk of shame to the crash site. As I approach, I notice the lack of scattered pieces of airplane. I get to the plane, and inspect the damage. 'Hmm', I say, 'landing gear bolts seem to have sheered' (nylon). The engine is broken, so I assume the firewall is smashed. Nope. Can't seem to find any firewall damage. Oh, but wait, the GLASS FILLED NYLON motor mount seems to be in pieces. I gather everything up and go back to the pits. I inspect further, totally expecting to see some splintered wood and ripped coroplast, but I find none.

Turns out all that broke were the nylon gear bolts, and that strong motor mount. The mount is the SIG mount that comes with the Four-Star 60 ARF. It's about the best mount a guy can get for that size of plane, IMO. I didn't even break my prop! Either I am very lucky, or the Cor-Star is just a wee bit tougher than I ever expected. Oh, I had a little damage to the wings...I scuffed my vinyl checkerboard. Awww! Maybe I should do some cartwheel tests next...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28750.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	258938   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs57759.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	258939   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv55176.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	258940   Click image for larger version

Name:	Au55728.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	258941  
Old 04-16-2005, 10:04 PM
Zombie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Gee, ya think my Cor-Star is strong enough?

Randy,

Glad to hear of your happy landing - which is what I'd be after seeing so little damage. Especially on that plane. It flies soooo sweet!

Oh wait, I am that happy ... I slammed my only flying plane in a ditch Last Sunday after losing the engine on take-off. Figured it was totaled. Only had a busted prop and a minor fuse crack.

The Spad god must be tougher than the balsa god!

Good flying to you, Randy! Hope to see you at a field sometime soon.