Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

warped coroplast!

Old 07-21-2005, 03:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default warped coroplast!

I have some 4mm coroplast that has been sitting in the basement for the past couple of years. It has been leaning on its side for so long that it has bowed to the point where I cant seem to get it to flatten out. The piece was about 8 ft long. I cut the piece down to more manageable sizes, however even the stuff that I cut out is bent to the point where I cant seem to cut out nice and flat tail feathers or wing surfaces. Any ideas on a good way to flatten out coroplast.

Thanks.
Old 07-21-2005, 04:36 PM

Default RE: warped coroplast!

Try setting it out in the hot sun?
Old 07-21-2005, 06:30 PM
rrh

In the sun under a sheet of plywood or sheetrock. If not available lay cuved up edges down. Put a bag of dog food in the middle

rrh
Old 07-21-2005, 06:51 PM

Just buy some more , but this time not more than you need. GL
Old 07-21-2005, 10:01 PM

I think I will try those ideas to flatten the coroplast tomorrow. I was going to throw it out and just forget about it, however Im a packrat at heart that saves anything and everything that I can use for RC. Guess I'll be placing an order with Harbor anyway.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:11 PM

depending on how warped it is and what type of planes u usualy build and what engine saize you usualy run theres a few p[ossibilities

1)use it for wings that wrap around foam ribs

2) maybe ziptie a dowel on the leading edge to keep it straight

3) for tail feathers fold it back over itself, so its trying to curve up AND down, which should make it pretty straight
Old 07-21-2005, 11:53 PM

seven6twomm,

If I have a warped piece for tail feathers, I usually stick some bamboo skewers down the flute with a little epoxy or PU glue on them. Do this on the stabilizer and on the control surface. You can use the above techniques and warm it with a heat gun first, maybe on the concave side, to help things along. After all is said and done, if you use it and when you go through the preflight and there is a "pop" or binding when you add control input, CHUNK IT! Chances are it will affect the flight characteristics and/or the ability to pull out of a dive, all at the most inopportune time.[&o][:@][X(]

Good luck, and let us know what works!

Blue skies,

DL
Old 07-22-2005, 12:13 AM

ORIGINAL: DLSmith2

You can use the above techniques and warm it with a heat gun first, maybe on the concave side, to help things along.
cut a tail piece, get it very warm w/ the hairdryer, then toss it on the table and stack some heavy books on it !
Old 12-31-2009, 01:34 AM

I'm making a Tufflight Predator which has a Coroplast (CP) fin. Didn't like the stock white CP and wanted to use some black CP that I had sitting around. Only problem was that it was warped. Tried the heat gun route but it kept bowing one way or the other.

I went to www.coroplast.com and found that it starts to lose strength at 194 F and melts at 324 F.

So I preheated wife's oven to 250 F and put in a couple of pieces of glass shelves on different racks. After 30 minutes I put the CP fin on top of one piece of glass and placed the other on top for a glass/CP/glass sandwich. Left the oven on at 250 for another hour then shut off. In the morning (before wife preheated oven to make cinnamon rolls) took out the CP and it was perfectly flat (and still is).

Probably didn't need to wait so long as the CP started flattening as soon as I layed it on the glass. But I really wasn't in a big hurry.

Seems like a good solution unless you have a piece bigger than your wife's oven.