Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

"ML Spattern"

Old 04-16-2006, 03:55 PM
Omaha_RC_Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: "ML Spattern"

Here are a few pictures of the removable canopy I finished last night. I cut up 2 liter bottle for the canopy. The foam cowl plug has been fiberglassed and awaiting sanding, filling, more sanding, priming, and painting. Now I need to finish the wing roots, by adding a foam/lite ply sandwiched end rib/insert and wing mounting hardware. I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Later,
Omaha
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ax72973.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	446272   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr54477.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	446273   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va73274.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	446274   Click image for larger version

Name:	Un33560.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	446275  
Old 04-16-2006, 10:10 PM
kbear

Just to beautiful for words. keep up the good work.
Old 04-17-2006, 08:26 AM
Omaha_RC_Flyer

Thanks for all the kind words! I need to find some main gear for it, I'm thinking of using some .60 size U-Can't-Do-3D gear. I have a friend that may have a set from one he crashed. The Lowes 1/8" aluminum is just too soft, and bends to easily for this project. Any other ideas?

Later,
Omaha
Old 04-17-2006, 07:41 PM
ktaylor

hi guys, I am posting this link to get the word out on a fund raiser, I hope you all don't mind
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=4177682
Old 04-17-2006, 09:27 PM
Omaha_RC_Flyer

I finished the bottom trim scheme today.

Later,
Omaha

Name:	Ca80869.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	447059   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb88272.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	447060  
Old 04-20-2006, 12:06 AM
Omaha_RC_Flyer

The wings are finished and mounted, the cowl is ready for Primer & Paint. The Fuel tank and plumbing are in, throttle servo is mounted. Now I just need to wait until I get some more $$ to buy the remainder of stuff I need to finish it ( i.e. 3 High torque servos, 6 servo extentions, pushrods, smaller main wheels etc...)

I had to put a cross member on the .60 size U-Can't-Do-3D gear to keep it from spreading out too much, due to the planes weight (about 11 lbs). Now it works great, just doesn't look the best.

Later,
Omaha

Name:	Hf10303.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	448129   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jf11681.jpg
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	448130   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bh94831.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	448131   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oh13740.jpg
Size:	255.1 KB
ID:	448132  
Old 04-24-2006, 12:37 AM
Omaha_RC_Flyer

Almost ready! Now I just need to wait a few weeks, before I can finish it. Got to wait for some more funds, to become available.

Later,
Omaha

Name:	Zw69599.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	450539   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96257.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	450540  
Old 04-25-2006, 08:38 AM
tychoc

Great job. Looks georgeous[sm=thumbup.gif]

Looking forward to the maiden report.

-tychoc
Old 05-24-2006, 11:44 AM
Omaha_RC_Flyer

Bump, just keeping the post alive.

Check list
The aileron servos and linkages are installed.
The cowl has been painted, just needs some clear coat on it.
I'll be picking up the high torque servos from the LHS today or tomorrow for the tail group. After they are installed, the turtle deck can glued in place.
Depending on weather, the maiden flight maybe early next week.

I will be getting video of it!!

Later,
Omaha

Old 05-24-2006, 05:15 PM
ChrisSpad

man, thats looking great! I can't wait to see the video.
Old 05-24-2006, 07:23 PM
Omaha_RC_Flyer

Coming from one of the masters of plastic, Thanks!!!

Later,
Omaha
Old 05-27-2006, 09:31 PM
Omaha_RC_Flyer

ORIGINAL: ChrisSpad

man, thats looking great! I can't wait to see the video.
If it survives the maiden flight, you will see it in person at Spadfest. It is finished and RTF, hope to maiden it next week sometime. I have someone lined up to video it, if that falls through, I can do it myself with the Helmet cam.

Later,
Omaha
Old 05-30-2006, 04:09 PM
grumpE
My Feedback: (6)

ARGHHHHH

I must appologise to Mike in a Public forum. He will give the details but the damn little red button makes the camera turn on AND off if you push it too many times with fat fingers......

[:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@]

Eric
Old 05-30-2006, 10:36 PM
Omaha_RC_Flyer

Here is a [link=http://media.putfile.com/ML-Spattern]Video Clip [/link] I did earlier today, displaying it.

from Spadworld Spattern thread by "Chris"

man! if it flies half as good as it looks, you've got a winner there!!

[/quote]

Well I've got a winner , I maidened it today!! It took 4 clicks of down and about 10 clicks of left Aileron trim, and she was straight and level (may have too much right thrust in it, not sure). I was wondering with the weight of 11.25 pounds, if the YS 1.20 would pull it around. No problem! It had plenty of vertical, for loops, stall turns, etc... So far, it looks like it will be a great plane for sportsman class pattern flying. After I replace the heavy steel wing tube with an aluminum one, it will be legal for competition. I will have to fly it some more, to get it trimmed just right. It was fairly calm when I took off, and for about 3 mins. into the flight, and then it was like a switch being turned on, the wind started blowing out of the west at about 16 to 20 m.p.h. (my club's runway runs North to South), yep you got it, a dead on cross wind. It took about 6 or 7 attempts, before I could get it down on the ground safely, the plane was crabbing like crazy. I bent the left gear slightly, when I landed, but with a little persuasion, it is fixed now. I almost had video of it, but my cameraman thought he was recording, when he wasn't, or something like that. He did get some video of the Preflight, a few landing attempts and the not so smooth landing. I'll get some in flight video posted, next time I fly it.

Later,
Omaha

Name:	Ec88696.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	469118  
Old 05-30-2006, 11:46 PM
ChrisSpad

woo hoo! There's nothing like it when a plan comes together. And, a YS 120 should have no problems hauling it around the sky - i had an 11 lb (way overweight, but thats a whole other story) Carl Goldberg ultimate bipe, with an OS 120 E surpass on it, and it had plenty of power. A YS should really have plenty of power. Most of the guys in my club with YS 120's were running 16x8's - and i was running a 15x8 on my OS, and turning about the same rpm (don't ask me what it was, though, that was too many moons ago). Anyway, i'm glad it flies nicely. An aluminum tube would defenitely lighten it up some - might even look at a carbon fiber one - i think www.gatorrc.com has the c/f ones. And, if you call them, i think you could get an aluminum one from www.texastowers.com - yep - here's their sizes:
http://www.texastowers.com/aluminum.htm thats where i bought from last time i bought al. tubing.

Anyway, thats a super looking plane! i'm looking forward to seeing it (and meeting you) at SF this year.
Old 05-31-2006, 08:12 AM
grumpE

Mike is too kind. I was the dumb !@# who couldn't run his own video cam.

That is not all that important but still feel bad.[] Anyway it flew really well. Landing looked like it was fun! When Mike took off we had a NW wind at maybe 3 mph like he said. After a few minutes a front came through and the wind swung to anything from S SW to dead W at a steady 10-15 and some of those gusts were likely close to 20 or more. At our filed SW-W is almost a 90 degree cross wind!

It looked just like a pattern plane landing. Came in hot and refused to settle. Just hit a cushion at about 1-2 feet and cruised along. It looked pretty wild in a crab going down the length of the runway.

I must say it was impressive. Will try to get what little video I did get to Mike ASAP. Mike Friday morning looks to be 0-2 mph from 0800 till 1100. Drop me a note.......

I may know a decent camera guy

Eric
Old 05-31-2006, 12:30 PM
Omaha_RC_Flyer

With a different prop the performance should be even better. I flew it with a 13X11 APC pattern prop (only one I had for it), and it flew great with it. I'm thinking a 14 or 15 inch diameter prop, with a little less pitch will be just fine. Not sure if I won't to go up any higher on diameter than 15, because they start to get expensive.

Eric,

If you don't mind, I would really like to get what video you have, so I can edit it, and get it posted! If I go Friday, it will have to be after lunch sometime.

Later,
Omaha
Old 05-31-2006, 07:09 PM
Omaha_RC_Flyer

Here is some [link=http://media.putfile.com/ML-Spattern-Maiden-flight]video of the maiden flight[/link]! Hope you enjoy it!

Eric thanks a lot for the video!! I edited it down quite a bit. I know most of you are more interested in seeing the plane fly, instead of me getting it ready. It was kind of funny, Eric (grumpE) videoed me from the time I started unloading the plane from the truck, until just before it took off. The total video I got was about 15 mins long, and most of it, with me getting the plane ready for flight (i.e. putting my pin up at the impond, putting the wings on, range checking, etc...) With that being said, I really do appreciate Eric taking the time out of his day, to come and video me. Next time, I'll ask him every 5 seconds, "does the screen still have REC on it"?

Later,
Omaha

Old 05-31-2006, 07:46 PM
Omaha_RC_Flyer

ORIGINAL: ChrisSpad

woo hoo! There's nothing like it when a plan comes together. And, a YS 120 should have no problems hauling it around the sky - i had an 11 lb (way overweight, but thats a whole other story) Carl Goldberg ultimate bipe, with an OS 120 E surpass on it, and it had plenty of power. A YS should really have plenty of power. Most of the guys in my club with YS 120's were running 16x8's - and i was running a 15x8 on my OS, and turning about the same rpm (don't ask me what it was, though, that was too many moons ago). Anyway, i'm glad it flies nicely. An aluminum tube would defenitely lighten it up some - might even look at a carbon fiber one - i think www.gatorrc.com has the c/f ones. And, if you call them, i think you could get an aluminum one from www.texastowers.com - yep - here's their sizes:
http://www.texastowers.com/aluminum.htm thats where i bought from last time i bought al. tubing.

Anyway, thats a super looking plane! i'm looking forward to seeing it (and meeting you) at SF this year.

I may have to order some tube from Texastowers, @ $1.30/ft. I only need just over 2 ft. Do you have a good sorce for sturdy landing gear? The U-CAN-DO .60 gear, I have on it now, is the right size (dimension wise), but they are just not sturdy enough.

Later,
Omaha
Old 05-31-2006, 08:52 PM
ChrisSpad

hmmm. i've not owned any myself, but, i wonder if maybe some krazy legs would work. Oh wait, i do have a set, too. Profile, though - they're for the giant edge, mach 2. They appear to be really stiff.
Couldn't find any online, but i did find this:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_27...tm.htm#2736672
Old 06-01-2006, 08:24 AM
grumpE

[&:]

[:@]

Eric
Old 06-04-2006, 09:42 PM
grumpE

Mike has new video and it is GOOOOOOD........................

Don't keep us hanging Mike

Eric
Old 06-04-2006, 10:22 PM
Omaha_RC_Flyer

Here is the [link=http://media.putfile.com/ML-Spattern-Flight-2]new video[/link] Eric got Friday. Don't laugh at my flying skills!

Later,
Omaha
Old 07-27-2009, 02:04 PM
JC Fardo

Default RE:

Hello Omaha

ORIGINAL: Omaha_RC_Flyer

Well I finally made some time to work on the ML Spattern.
Photo #10 Wing tube inserted in Fuse slot.

Later,
Omaha
I have some questions, perhaps too late:

1) What are root and tip % thickness in ML Spattern wing.
2) Is that a 1.125" O.D. wing tube in photo #10
Thanks for comments

JC

Old 07-29-2009, 10:19 AM
Justme

Default RE:

Please repost the video of this plane flying. I was all siked to see it, but when I click on the link, I get the website, but not the video. It has been about 3 years since it was posted, so I am not surprised. How is the plane doing now? Are you still flying her? If you had to do it all over again, what would you do differently? Thanks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.