Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design
Reload this Page >

American rippled PVC and Canadian pipe

Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

American rippled PVC and Canadian pipe

Old 08-24-2005, 08:33 PM
aabeuge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default American rippled PVC and Canadian pipe

How close are American rippled rectangular pvc and Canadian pipe in weight? I am looking for a good plan that utilizes the rectangular American rippled PVC and a GMS .25 as those are what I have right now Thanks in advance for any responses.

Old 10-01-2005, 08:44 PM
FantzyPantz

Default RE: American rippled PVC and Canadian pipe

I don't know how the Rippled PVC compares to the Canadian pipe. But I do know it is quite a bit lighter and thinner than the American square gutter pipe. I have built and flown what I call the Spadistar, I cloned my trusty Avistar and used rhe rippled gutter pipe and built in the same fashion as the Spadet.

[link=http://home.comcast.net/~vance.nelson/spadistar.jpg]spadistar[/link]

Old 10-01-2005, 10:11 PM
Madd_Maxx

Funny you should ask about the 3 1/2" square rippled pvc downspout pipe....anyway I'm guessing that is the stuff you are talking about here. I'm currently in the process of building a coro cap232 clone of some sort using the rippled pipe as the fuse formers. I've got the fuse glued up and the tailfeathers cut out but need to install the horizontal yet. I'll post a few pics of this creation if my picture host ever gets their server back online.

Madd_Maxx
Old 10-02-2005, 12:47 AM
bnrusso

I've read that the ripple pipe is very weak and cracks too easily. The standard non-rippled, non-canadian 2.5 in downspout is much heavier but much stronger.
Old 10-02-2005, 06:00 AM
Muldoer

Hey Fantz...NICE BALANCER!!!
Old 10-02-2005, 06:52 AM
Madd_Maxx

Well I re-measured the fluted pvc pipe and it's actually 3" square not 3 1/2" like I posted earlier. The final size with the 4mill wrapped around it is pretty close to the 3 1/2 mentioned.

As it always seems I get a bit carried away with the poly glue when building the coro fuse with the pvc formers....but I haven't had any of the glue joints fail so I guess it's ok.

As promissed here's a couple pics of the new creation:

The tailfeathers:

The spads balsa brother:

Madd_Maxx
Old 10-03-2005, 03:13 PM
Omaha_RC_Flyer

ORIGINAL: Muldoer

Hey Fantz...NICE BALANCER!!!
Funny seeing that, I have balanced several of my planes that way.

Madd_Maxx,
The Coro Cap 232 is looking good, keep us posted on the progress.

Later,
Omaha

Old 10-03-2005, 04:39 PM
Muldoer

I wasnt mocking the idea...Just wish I had thought of it before seeing that pic.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:48 PM
Madd_Maxx

Omaha:

The only spad that I've built to date that flies like a champ is a 40 size spadstick that I put an OS 46LA on....could be the lightest one to date that I've built. The .46 seems to be just about right as far as power goes for that plane as it's pretty agile even with that somewhat weak motor on the nose. If the coro version of the cap 232 I've started turns out like my last couple coro creations it's gonna be a heavy weight with the larger fluted downspout I'm using for formers. Oh well I've got a tower hobbies 75 just screaming for a ride in the corocap You think that'll be enough power to hover this thing with the right prop? That's my goal anyway since all the guys I fly with love to give me a hard time about my plastic fantastic's I like to fly. I've let a couple of the guys fly the spadstick and they are actually amazed at how well it flies for being coro.

Hopefully I can find some time this week to work on the new bird and shoot some more build pictures as I go.

Madd_Maxx
Old 10-05-2005, 01:17 PM
aabeuge

Thanks for the replies. Nice pics! I started cutting not long after my first posting and yes it does crack easily. The plane I'm building (Tim Tong's "Special" ) calls for cutting out the top of the fuselage for fitting a symetrical wing. After doing this I found it to be pretty weak in that area. Hopefully once I get the wing mounted on there it will help to strengthen that area of the fuselage.

In case anyone is interested here's the link to Tim Tongs combat planes. I'm open to trying other designs if anyone knows of any better ones

http://home.earthlink.net/~tnttong/d...ombatopen.html