Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

First SPAD please help

Old 09-05-2005, 08:22 AM
moreymex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First SPAD please help

Hi there i was building an PT, so i bought an OS max 40 engine, a aitronics rd6000 super, what would be my first spad building proyect I was thinking on the spadet. please help.

The PT is a Perfect Trainer (balsa plane) Im afraid crashing it, so a SPAD brings new hope (cheap & easy fix), I read on the plans that the deb is for a 46 engine or a powerfull 40, would it work fine with my OS MAX 40 LA?
Old 09-05-2005, 08:44 AM
Clean

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: First SPAD please help

If by PT you mean Primary Trainer, then the Spadet is a good airplane to go with. However, a Debonair would be easier and faster to get in the air. Your choice, form or function or both.
Old 09-05-2005, 10:17 PM
spadeng

I agree with Clean go with a Debonair. Learning to fly you cant ask for a more durable airplane, my first one went threw its fair share of crashes and flew like a champ, a friend has one without the dihedral and it is a good semi sport plane. and when you totally destroy it in a mishap it dont break you to rebuild from scratch
Old 09-06-2005, 10:13 AM
bkdavy
My Feedback: (1)

I learned on a Debonair, and it still holds a place of honor. The 40 LA is NOT a good choice for the Deb, particularly if it is built to spec. It is designed for the 46FX (now the 46 AX). The 40 LA will fly it, but you won't have a lot of power to get yourself out of trouble. Also, take off runs will be very long, particularly off grass. I originally had the 46 LA (that's what I learned on), but soon after I soloed, I upgraded to a Thunder Tiger Pro 46. 100% better performance.

Brad
Old 11-09-2005, 02:01 PM
FighterBird873

I built and flew a Spadet with a Super Tigre GS40 ringed engine. Take off was short and flew just fine at half throttle. I managed to fly several laps around the field with no problem. The Spadet seemed to fly by itself when I let go of the sticks.
Old 11-09-2005, 02:33 PM
chris6414
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The LA is fine for any trainer type plane up to 60 inch wingspan and about 4-6 pounds. I have a LA .40 on a Sturdy birdy and will be in the air in 20 ft. I also have a Tower .40 on a Tower trainer from 1995 which is an old OS FP copy and it flies great. These bushing engines are durable and easier to tune than the AX and FX's. However, if power is what you want, then by all means go with the twin needle power houses. If you already have the motor, give it whirl and if you don't like it, go out and spend $110 on a AX.
Old 11-10-2005, 05:42 AM
lecrote
My Feedback: (1)

Make the deb with one spar and all 2mm wing.

It will be enough.

Dan